Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic upgrade from 6870 -€200 ?

Options
  • 06-01-2016 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

I must order a few cables and sd cards and such and nowhere around here does them in store so to save on postage i was planning on upgrading my pc while I'm at it and have been disappointed with my computers performance lately especially playing Fallout 4.

Currently have a sapphire 6870. i5 2500k and 8gb ram.
    What would be the best upgrade for around 200 euro ? or wee bit more if it would make a difference.

The motherboard is a Asrock gen3 extreme3 and working with superflower 550w PSU.
    Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

R9 380 for about €175

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

R9 380 4GB for around E220 new, or 7970 for about 140 second hand, more or less same performance.

Should get E50 back for the 6870.

380 can easily be gotten for under €200 depending on where you buy from OP, you'll need the other items to negate delivery though.

On its own, its about 220 yeah.

Are you not thinking of the 2GB model for sub 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Cheers yeah and that r380 card seems to have basically the same power requirements as my current card. Before i bought every thing from hardwareversand which doesn't have such good reviews anymore and with the pound being so strong wheres the best place to buy from these days generally?

• Advertisement

Are you not thinking of the 2GB model for sub 200?

Indeed I am, sorry OP. Read it as 4gb anyways.

Nothing wrong with the 2GB model of course, but for the sake of 20 euro I'd go for the 4GB.

A second hand 7970 3GB hits the middle spot pretty, performance is the same broadly speaking, and can be had for 120-140, so it would cost only about 70 to upgrade in that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

OP I'd go secondhand. 7950, 7970 maybe even a R9 290 easily fits onto your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

A GTX 960 is more or less the same if you want to go nVidia. Comes in 4GB now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Rob2D wrote: »
    A GTX 960 is more or less the same if you want to go nVidia. Comes in 4GB now too.

It's only coming in 4GB now as nVidia are shifting the last few units before June's 14nm release. But at the same time, for performance get the 380, or like others have said, find a 7970 for cheap and you're good to go!

• Advertisement
Advertisement