Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spicey bag

Options
  • 06-01-2016 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

Apologies if already asked. Was wondering if anyone had a recipe for the Chinese takeaway spicey bag? Have had a look around, but when it comes to the seasoning, everything gets secretive. Thank

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The recipe I use for the seasoning is 2 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoon MSG, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon chilli pepper and 1/2 teaspoon chinese five spice. When all this is mixed, I only need about 2 teaspoons to coat my cooked chicken( 2 breasts), onions and peppers so you will have loads left.
    For the chicken I cut it into strips and season. I dip it in egg, then dried instant potato (Smash or something but Tesco do their own brand for 45c). I then put it on a baking tray in the oven at about 170 for 20 mins. While this is cooking, I fry up some peppers, onions and chilli, then I add the cooked chicken and seasoning and stir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I love a spice bag but when I made them at home with the Chinese 5 spice, I gagged. I hate chinese 5 spice. I don't know why I don't taste it from the takeaway version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

How I do it is an egg whisked in one bowl, and in another I mix up 2 tablespoons of instant potato, half a teaspoon of chilli powder, half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, a few pinches of chilli flakes and dip the chicken into the egg, coat in the seasoning and cook in the oven. When it's going into the oven, I squeeze a small amount of lime juice on it.

Then I fry up (using frylite) chopped chillies, onions and peppers and throw them on the chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The reason those healthy versions (smash potato? Frylite?!? Oven?!?!? :D ) don't work is that they miss the essential tasty bits of a FRIED IN BATTER dish.

I just tried a quick Google there out if interest. Practically every hit on the first couple of pages is from unislim, slimming world or some such. That's not going to work. Might be a nice meal, but it's not a spice bag.

I'm pretty sure somebody put up a good recipe a few months back, op. Try a search again. This time though, search 'spice bag'. Not 'spicey bag'. Remember the slagging O'Snodaigh got for 'amazeyballs'? Same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

There's a recipe for a really tasty and actually healthy one here (I use polenta instead of almond meal): http://cleancuisine.ie/2014/08/25/takeaway-the-clean-way-with-a-homemade-spice-bag/
    I know it's not deep fried in batter, but the fried polenta batter goes plenty crispy. Seriously good, but takes a while, defo worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

Interesting thread. We had a Chinese restaurant, not in Eire though and I had never heard of the spice bag. Could somebody post a photo of one on here please.

When we open up again, might do these.

OK, I've Google some photos. It's just non spicy fresh chilies, spring onion, long cut onion, chicken, various cuts in a potato starch, egg batter.

Twice cooked chips and chicken finished in a wok with a salt chili pepper mix and the veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

RJohnG wrote: »
    Interesting thread. We had a Chinese restaurant, not in Eire though and I had never heard of the spice bag. Could somebody post a photo of one on here please.

When we open up again, might do these.

The spice bag has only appeared in the last year or so and really took off in Dublin. Not all Chinese take aways do them. It is basically a bag or box with salt and chilli chicken and chips.

ElleEm wrote: »
    The spice bag has only appeared in the last year or so and really took off in Dublin. Not all Chinese take aways do them. It is basically a bag or box with salt and chilli chicken and chips.

Yes, I just cooked one. I'll upload a pic later.

Do all the spice bags taste the same or are their differences depending on the take away? Reason I ask if they are the same they will be sharing the salt pepper mix recipe. I made a salt pepper mix up to cook this. Of course without tasting the ones from Eire I can't be certain it's identical.

Taboola wrote: »
    I love a spice bag but when I made them at home with the Chinese 5 spice, I gagged. I hate chinese 5 spice. I don't know why I don't taste it from the takeaway version.

Because there are 5 or 7 different powders/seasonings in the mix. 5 spice gets used sparingly compared to the others. The idea is it blends in.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RJohnG wrote: »
    Because there are 5 or 7 different powders/seasonings in the mix. 5 spice gets used sparingly compared to the others. The idea is it blends in.

At least some of the other ingredients are going to be components *of* five spice though. Whatever Taboola is gagging on is likely a single ingredient - fennel seeds very possibly as I've found many people dislike them.

While I'm not saying its the case here, I'm always surprised by the number of people who think five spice, or garam masala, is an actual spice in and of itself. Allspice, however, is despite the name!

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    At least some of the other ingredients are going to be components *of* five spice though. Whatever Taboola is gagging on is likely a single ingredient - fennel seeds very possibly as I've found many people dislike them.

While I'm not saying its the case here, I'm always surprised by the number of people who think five spice, or garam masala, is an actual spice in and of itself. Allspice, however, is despite the name!
    No. The only common ingredient is pepper. And real chinese five spice uses Sichuan peppercorn in it. There is no other commonality. It's in the balance of the other ingredients. Why you don't taste it too much. Also depending on the mix the salt gets dry fried to bring out a strong taste. This way you don't have to season it heavily to achieve a great taste. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

Got some of that Chinese five spice. Dear god, the cloves are so strong. Was thinking maybe just mixing chips with some salt, chilli flakes, peppers and onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

matchthis wrote: »
    Got some of that Chinese five spice. Dear god, the cloves are so strong.
    What brand was it? you could make your own version and use less or no cloves.

I got a brand which I then saw an Asian chef in the UK using in his restaurant.

this one.
    SEA316lg.jpg

Basic salt and pepper mix ratio:
    3 table spoon salt ( dry fried and cooled )
    1 tablespoon msg
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 TEASPOON 5 spice powder ( I did not use and pepper powder for this mix; however you can add half teaspoon of black pepper powder if you want to )
    Put everything into a bowl and mix well.

He has a different brand in that video, but uses mine in another video. He dry frys the salt which another restaurant chef posting here said makes little or no difference.

Spice bags have salt and chilli chicken in them. So I would look up "salt and chilli" recpies to get an idea how to make them. Or "salt and pepper" chicken.

endacl wrote: »
    This time though, search 'spice bag'. Not 'spicey bag'. Remember the slagging O'Snodaigh got for 'amazeyballs'? Same thing.

I have not seen it spelt with an e, but many takeaways do call them spicy bags. You can use just-eat.ie to find out how popular things are, or some takeaways give good details about what is in them.

"spicy bag" site:just-eat.ie 162 hits

"spice bag" site:just-eat.ie 221 hits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

It was tesco own brand. Think I'll be stripping it down and just add ingredients and try and get the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

matchthis wrote: »
    It was tesco own brand. Think I'll be stripping it down and just add ingredients and try and get the mix

You might just need to use less. Have a look at this thread, the tesco one is pure spice while a schwartz one has other stuff added to bulk it out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057549176

Advertisement