Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Night Ideas--- I'm stuck!

Options
  • 07-01-2016 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Hey Everyone!

Haven't posted in a while so will take my chance in the hope of a few replies. Wanted to do something special for our open night coming up. I've Geography more or less sorted with a few volcano sets and puzzles on the basics for physical geography as well as a handout but with Irish, I'm failing miserably to come up with something innovative. Coláiste Lurgan will be on the projector with the tunes and I'll have the books out for the parents. I did a matching game last year where they had 1 minute to write down as many irish words as they could to match printed pictures and then the winner got a prize (stocked up on haribos). French teacher is doing a french breakfast and MTW and WDW are making keyrings with the school name on it and rulers.Maths have an unreal set of games. Science are doing a CSI and excavation thing and there's loads going on in other subjects. Poor old Gaeilge may be bypassed as being awful boring. Anyone willing to share a language idea or any idea for that matter? School also give out a pencil/ruler/rubber/copy set to kids that come in with the school crest and name on it.

Would just love for Irish to stand out!

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it !

Pink

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ollygolf

Can i ask where they got the maths games please?
    Pinkycharm wrote: »
    Hey Everyone!

Haven't posted in a while so will take my chance in the hope of a few replies. Wanted to do something special for our open night coming up. I've Geography more or less sorted with a few volcano sets and puzzles on the basics for physical geography as well as a handout but with Irish, I'm failing miserably to come up with something innovative. Coláiste Lurgan will be on the projector with the tunes and I'll have the books out for the parents. I did a matching game last year where they had 1 minute to write down as many irish words as they could to match printed pictures and then the winner got a prize (stocked up on haribos). French teacher is doing a french breakfast and MTW and WDW are making keyrings with the school name on it and rulers.Maths have an unreal set of games. Science are doing a CSI and excavation thing and there's loads going on in other subjects. Poor old Gaeilge may be bypassed as being awful boring. Anyone willing to share a language idea or any idea for that matter? School also give out a pencil/ruler/rubber/copy set to kids that come in with the school crest and name on it.

Would just love for Irish to stand out!

Thanks in advance, I appreciate it !

Pink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm not an Irish teacher but my school have had a Trad Band/Player and Irish Dancers in costumes going outside the Irish Room

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Ollygolf wrote: »

I'll get the info tomorrow and post it back here for you.

I'm not an Irish teacher but my school have had a Trad Band/Player and Irish Dancers in costumes going outside the Irish Room

WOW! That might be a bit out of my reach, my room is on a narrow corridor! Fab idea though- fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Trad player in the corner of the room maybe? They have a big corridor junction to work with. I can't say what they do inside coz I do be in the music room

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Trad music on the cd player? tg4 on the data projector? Any popular Irish programmes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

hi
    Irish teacher here - had same dilemma a few years ago.

Got ty art students to draw two characters on big boards with heads cut out....had irish on the boards. It was near hallow'een so had a "púca" and a "diabhal".....kids arrived in on day and TY students took pics of children putting heads through the hole and then printed them off in the room for the kids to take home.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

....i also contacted Gael Linn + Conradh na Gaeilge and asked for free pens/bracelets, t shirts, hats...anything really. They both sent me stuff to hand out......I also had a mr. men game off the tG4 website on the screen. Kids could come in, have a go at the game and then got a lollipop.

Ollygolf wrote: »

Spoke to her Friday, she said YouTube gave her great ideas and she Googled a maths week thing that had loads. She also cut out triangles and kids had to make them into shapes in under 2 minutes or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Open Nights have obviously become much more extravagant since I was in Sixth Class :O.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

dambarude wrote: »
    Open Nights have obviously become much more extravagant since I was in Sixth Class :O.

They definitely have, you can never do enough and I leave the night feeling like I should get nominated for an Oscar for my performance.....i hate open night !!!

Advertisement