Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any ongoing thread for Niall Boylans shows on 4fm?

• 07-01-2016 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean12319

As the title says any thread started? Tried searching and can't find any on going one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Great idea, I enjoy listening to his shows for the comical value of his callers.

I do like the 'on the street' bits with that guy. He done a bit with some girl on Grafton St, he has getting attacked by her and the only people to come to his aid where two Garda, when the roles where reversed he nearly got himself a slap from a few guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

used to like shows like that. personally finding the old rabel rousing a bit boaring and samey now though.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Have to say its very entertaining even if parts of it are staged!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Dean12319 wrote: »
    As the title says any thread started? Tried searching and can't find any on going one.

There have been a few - here's one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88040865

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

The show is basically a radio version of the Jeremy Kyle show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I listen to it but I get the feeling most of it is staged.

Even most of the callers sounded scripted and the bits where that guy on the streets is doing his vox-pop thing...it sounds fake.

There was one recently where the guy was talking to a homeless fella and Niall was slagging the man something terrible, but the homeless fella was just taking it. It didn't sound as if it was genuine.

Niall is very judgemental towards people too and doesn't seem to have any sympathy towards anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

I've listened regularly to Niall Boylan at Night and enjoyed some of the topics and regular characters like John the guy in the wheelchair who seems to know it all, John O'Donovan from Cork, Derry Ann, Padraig, Joan the mature conservative lady and so on.
    Only concern is the topics have all been covered to death and I feel the show has actually run it's course.

However; in my view it reached saturation point/overkill on the station these days with The Niall Boylan Show Mon-Fri at lunchtime, Niall Boylan at Night from 9:00pm - 1:00am weeknights along with all the repeated shows during holiday periods.

Classic Hits 4FM are gonna burn out Niall Boylan's presence on the station along with the Listeners with it if they do not introduce more variety in the schedule line-up. The station is now looking cheap and very desperate at this stage. The original 4FM was a very interesting station when it first launched back in 2009 but was probably too expensive to run it would seem.

Niall Boylan/Adrian Kennedy/Chris Barry might as well be the same person their shows cover the exact same topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Love his honestly in putting the sob stories in their place.

Instead of faux outrage and sympathy when people are on looking to blame the government for every bloody thing he picks them apart and shows them they should start looking closer to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I've found myself listening to it more at night these days. You know what you're getting depending on the topic.
    It's entertaining at times to listen to some of the crackpots on it. Some of them make good points though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I've found myself listening to it more at night these days. You know what you're getting depending on the topic.
    It's entertaining at times to listen to some of the crackpots on it. Some of them make good points though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

I know a bit about radio and audio and there was a topic a while back about burgurlars. Apparently they had one on the phone. His audio was too clear for a phone call, it was from a studio mic with a filter (not a very good one) making it sound like he was on the phone, but it was still to clear for it to not be a studio mic.

It isnt a genuine talk show and Niall is very opinionated. Winds people up for a specific reaction and wont let some people talk to say their piece.

Some of the "regular voices" go back as far as 1998 from other "talk shows". Dont know what name(s) he uses now but he used to be Justin back then.

4fm has very low listenership figures so I'd imagine they have to stage callers or otherwise they wouldn't have any calls at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I know a bit about radio and audio and there was a topic a while back about burgurlars. Apparently they had one on the phone. His audio was too clear for a phone call, it was from a studio mic with a filter (not a very good one) making it sound like he was on the phone, but it was still to clear for it to not be a studio mic.

It isnt a genuine talk show and Niall is very opinionated. Winds people up for a specific reaction and wont let some people talk to say their piece.

Some of the "regular voices" go back as far as 1998 from other "talk shows". Dont know what name(s) he uses now but he used to be Justin back then.

He was on twice firstly when he rang in, then a second time when Niall challenged him to show up at the 4fm studio and come on the air again to explain himself, which he did.

The whole point of those shows is to wind people up thats what makes them entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

I listened to the late night boiylan show recently when I was dropping family to the airport. The guy is basically trailer trash with little or no credibility, class or intelligence. However what was I believe verging on the 'dangerous' was his interaction with a new young female producer of the show. His sexual references and direct sexual questions directed to the young girl on live radio was in my opinion sexual harassment of a boss towards an employee. Whatever future this girl has on radio will be marred forever by her association with this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I listened to the late night boiylan show recently when I was dropping family to the airport. The guy is basically trailer trash with little or no credibility, class or intelligence. However what was I believe verging on the 'dangerous' was his interaction with a new young female producer of the show. His sexual references and direct sexual questions directed to the young girl on live radio was in my opinion sexual harassment of a boss towards an employee. Whatever future this girl has on radio will be marred forever by her association with this show.

Chill out mate, it's radio. He winds people up and it's all staged out. Sure FFS he sent some lad down to Moore St with a Union Jack to start waving around the place and then started asking them what they thought of it.

All honest what you think people are going to think of it Niall?

Still, gives me a good giggle on the way home to think people take him seriously !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

He's on now, PEGIDA March this weekend in Dublin, craic being had.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Radio is for life

Have you ever watched Keith lemon on Celebrity Juice and the awkward sexual interactions on the show with female guests and team captains. I'm pretty sure they all trust each other and they have agreed boundaries. It has not effected the presenters TV careers in any shape or form, if anything its boosted their careers on TV and is hugely popular. You cant get raunchier and funnier than celebrity juice. I think you need to lighten up or turn on the Disney channel.
    Could be worse, he could an end up an extra on Fair City:)

That same guy was on FM104 tonight giving out about gays but he was pretending to be someone else. One of the callers actually caught him out but he denied he robbed houses.

That guy "steve" is now on the Niall Boylan show defending the use of driving while under the influence of cannabis.

He must be getting paid by both FM104 and 4FM to wind up the listeners.

• Advertisement

• Have you ever watched Keith lemon on Celebrity Juice and the awkward sexual interactions on the show with female guests and team captains. I'm pretty sure they all trust each other and they have agreed boundaries. It has not effected the presenters TV careers in any shape or form, if anything its boosted their careers on TV and is hugely popular. You cant get raunchier and funnier than celebrity juice. I think you need to lighten up or turn on the Disney channel.
    Could be worse, he could an end up an extra on Fair City:)

incomparable i think. keith lemon is a fictional character played by a comedian... Niall Boylan is supposed to be a serious broadcaster covering real issues. Just look at the abuse Ray Darcy got over the Pamela Anderson interview.. he could hardly use the defence "well, keith lemon does it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If he was calling off a VOIP- or ISDN-delivered landline (as radio stations will inevitably have their calls delivered on a primary rate 32 carrier ISDN) the voice quality will be significantly higher than a mobile which is what most people use.

Advertisement