Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playlists

• 07-01-2016 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭

Nova have some 'special disc' request line - can't remember or find the correct name on their site but it's like it's 'special/unplanned/not on the playlist' request but what/who decides the normal playlist. I'm getting tired of same ol same ol songs being played so I now hook up the Android Tune-in radio to my car radio and just listen to world stations that play different stuff. None of the DJ's /producers seem to want to go outside the 'norm' and be adventurous or are they not allowed play say Finnish rock on Irish radio ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Capri wrote: »
    Nova have some 'special disc' request line - can't remember or find the correct name on their site but it's like it's 'special/unplanned/not on the playlist' request but what/who decides the normal playlist. I'm getting tired of same ol same ol songs being played so I now hook up the Android Tune-in radio to my car radio and just listen to world stations that play different stuff. None of the DJ's /producers seem to want to go outside the 'norm' and be adventurous or are they not allowed play say Finnish rock on Irish radio ?

Most stations have some designated to scheduling the music, so the programme director or music director, usually it's part of their job and they do other stuff in the station.

Almost all commercial stations have someone designated to it, reason is to keep the music on brand, relevant to the target audience. Some dj's will have a say in what they play, maybe a few slots in the show designated for oldies or requests. Statuons will do research into what he listeners want and try to replicate that on air. I don't think the I hear the same song argument people make really stands, most stations have a 3/4 hour rotation on certain songs and don't play them that close to each other, id you listen for 12 hours you'll hears the same song maybe 4 times at most, but who listens for 12 hours in a row.

As for the lack of variety, the main reason is the lack of demand, who wants Finnish rock on the radio here? Is it commercially viable option to play that stuff, probably not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

soc160 wrote: »
    . who wants Finnish rock on the radio here?

Seriosly missing his point...

Plenty of good european rock bands out there, its just that its not "safe" to play anyone other than Lizzy,AC/DC,Eagles etc etc.........no doubt Nova will play some Motorhead today at some stage...or if PJ was on Hawkwind....WHO ..? i hear the Nova listeners say....:rolleyes:

Seriosly missing his point...

Plenty of good european rock bands out there, its just that its not "safe" to play anyone other than Lizzy,AC/DC,Eagles etc etc.........no doubt Nova will play some Motorhead today at some stage...or if PJ was on Hawkwind....WHO ..? i hear the Nova listeners say....:rolleyes:

I have given a pretty clear and detailed answer and i'm using his example to clarify why you don't get that kind of music, it's part of the conversation, the point was taken into the account with the answer.

What you are saying is probably a shorter way to say what I was, it's not safe because it doesn't make business sense I suppose, but that kind of feeds into the whole, who actually wants stuff on the radio, people don't like stuff they haven't heard before, Nova is like a cosy old jumper you can put on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Nova is like a cosy old jumper you can put on

I'm sure they'd be pretty offended by that, even though it's true :rolleyes:

As I say, if I want to listen to 'world' music myself I can get it on my Android and pump it through the car radio , but that's losing me as a listener to Irish radio (and their advertisers ). All I was just wondering in the question was if there was any legal/commercial reason limiting the choice, or just the limits of the producers/owners/listeners minds ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Capri wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd be pretty offended by that, even though it's true :rolleyes:

As I say, if I want to listen to 'world' music myself I can get it on my Android and pump it through the car radio , but that's losing me as a listener to Irish radio (and their advertisers ). All I was just wondering in the question was if there was any legal/commercial reason limiting the choice, or just the limits of the producers/owners/listeners minds ;)

Yes there is a commercial reason. People like to listen to what they know. Especially when it comes to classic rock. If nova were to play some obscure finnish band (or any obscure band from europe) their listeners would tune out, affecting advertising spend. They have a choice, lose one listener (in this instance you) or 1000's of listeners.

If anything, txfm would be the place for the obscure stuff. But that wasnt really working for them so they went a bit more mainstream.

A lot of stations do music testing. This will involve playing music to a room full of people who will rate the songs. This then shapes the playlists you hear. So its not really anything to do limitations of anyone.

• Advertisement

It probably goes to show how blinkered (read "boring") the majority of the listening public is...in fact imo this Radio forum shows just how many listeners just want talk-radio....
    But as regards the stations, as you say TXFM is a bit more diverse i.e one spurious track per day seems the norm...i can remember when Sigur Ros appeared Phantom played them non stop...now you just dont hear them played at all....and THEY were an aquired taste..
    I just wish someone would start a station aimed at listeners and not sponsors...oh yeah there is one, BBC 6 music....;)

It probably goes to show how blinkered (read "boring") the majority of the listening public is...in fact imo this Radio forum shows just how many listeners just want talk-radio....
    But as regards the stations, as you say TXFM is a bit more diverse i.e one spurious track per day seems the norm...i can remember when Sigur Ros appeared Phantom played them non stop...now you just dont hear them played at all....and THEY were an aquired taste..
    I just wish someone would start a station aimed at listeners and not sponsors...oh yeah there is one, BBC 6 music....;)

You can't blame people for their taste in music....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Yes there is a commercial reason. People like to listen to what they know. Especially when it comes to classic rock. If nova were to play some obscure finnish band (or any obscure band from europe) their listeners would tune out, affecting advertising spend. They have a choice, lose one listener (in this instance you) or 1000's of listeners.

Thanks, my original question answered. ;)
    If anything, txfm would be the place for the obscure stuff. But that wasnt really working for them so they went a bit more mainstream.

A lot of stations do music testing. This will involve playing music to a room full of people who will rate the songs. This then shapes the playlists you hear. So its not really anything to do limitations of anyone.

Sounds a bit like a torture chamber full of sheep, they'll all agree with the management just to be let out away from 'experiment' :confused:

My (alternative) music choices?

Dropkick Murphys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTx-sdR6Yzk

Nightwish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPonioDYnoY

Viikate - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45FsJF9xUsI

Johnny Halliday - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo8N0IMqEJw

Udo Lindenberg - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxquuedkKaM

Maybe there's UK/US/Irish musicians in the same style as these but what I'm getting at is that Irish stations don't seem to go outside a narrow corridor of 'approved' stuff (though I remember a 'World music' slot on (2FM ?)) and just play even the odd international song just to show us that Louis Walshe / Pete Waterman / Sony music can't have it all their own way.

Anyway, back to my Tune-in radio playlist and fe*k the Irish stations and their advertisers :cool:

You can't blame people for their taste in music....

True..but when the satatios are catering for a minority i.e what THEY think people want and play a very limited selection , it reflects badly on the rest of us....:(

True..but when the satatios are catering for a minority i.e what THEY think people want and play a very limited selection , it reflects badly on the rest of us....:(

I think they are catering for the Majority though, most stations do research into what their listeners want, and most people want chart music or music that used to be chart music.

• Advertisement

I think they are catering for the Majority though, most stations do research into what their listeners want, and most people want chart music or music that used to be chart music.

True to a degree, although Nova shouldnt be playing "chart music" ..again its the repetitiveness that annoys...

True to a degree, although Nova shouldnt be playing "chart music" ..again its the repetitiveness that annoys...

Indeed, that's not Novas remit anyway, they play some modern pop which isn't as commercially viable but then it's usually stuff from the past, but you'll hear stuff that charted at some point. I think the overall point is that niche music is niche for.a reason, people can try and promote it into the mainstream but people will usually seek that out themselves so what the stations offer up is usually the same stuff we hear everyday and that's because its popular.

Advertisement