Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making a roof for a dog run out of a tarp

• 07-01-2016 3:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Would it make the run too hot in summer? Thinking about doing this. Just wondering what the disadvantages would be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

when it rained, the tarp would fill with water, sag in the middle and collapse??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

you could make the roof like a smaller version of this so all our lovely rain would run off

its just a bit of pipe - you need to put tape along where the pipe touches the plastic though

eAC2MKl.jpg

like this :

00WbUWK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

aonb wrote: »
    when it rained, the tarp would fill with water, sag in the middle and collapse??

Yes I saw a photo on Google images that had a metal pole running down the middle so the tarp had an apex for water to run off.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/460405/possible-run-if-so-how

Was thinking something like this. The pictures in post #3.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd have thought it'd provide cool shade, no? Or... Could you cover half of the run so you've a bit of both?
    I used to make a canopy in the garden for my old girlie out of a sheet draped over a puppy playpen, it gave lovely shade to her in the summer sun... I'd have thought the tarp would do the same!

• Advertisement

Yes Poppy got a bit of sunburn on her ears a few years ago and threw two horserugs over the kennel end of the run as a temporary measure. The only problem with covering half of it is that I'd need a big pole or something to secure the apex.

Unless I have it higher at one side of the run instead of it the middle. It's only 6 foot wide but 16 foot long I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

I have tarp for my dog run, I haven't really tested it yet as the weather has been so bad and my dog is kept indoors anyhow but to help prevent the rain from gathering and avoid sagging i put a wooden frame on top with aviary wire inbetween to secure it further. The frame is built to a slant so the tarp will be supported and the rain can run off easily without gathering. At the moment the cats are getting more use from the dog run on dry days. Once there is good air circulation it shouldn't get too hot plus you can always roll it back on the frame as needed very easily. The shade provided could be a bonus really. It's a very cheap alternative to building a fixed roof and easy for the non diy inclined to do. There are lots of different types of tarp available some will be stronger than others. Bear in mind that the strongest types are more difficult to work with and are very heavy if using a large amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I would be more worried about wind. You dont want the tarp acting as an umbrella in a storm and lifting the run. However if you are in a sheltered area it shouldnt be a problem. You could also cover the run in plastic corrugated sheets and the runs in the sheets will allow rain to run off. Friends of mind did this with their kennels and it was very effective.

The run is very heavy. I would say the the trap would tear before the run would lift if the wind caught it. There is also a very high wall at one side.

Advertisement