Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad debt abroad and mortgage

Options
  • 07-01-2016 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,
    I have moved to Ireland 10 years ago and have been living and working here since.
    Me and my husband are considering taking mortgage now. We will have enough savings/great credit score here/no loans/stready income and saving history and generally I think we will tick all the boxes.
    However there is one problem: when moving here I have unintentionally left a bil unpaid. It was a small mobile bill that I must have overlooked. It was 30euro max. but the problem is the company sent me some registered letters (that I obviously never received) and then send this to court, who appointed a polish equivalent to a receiver. The receiver sent me some lettera again (which I never got) and only few months ago I discover that debt existed. Basically my Mum was in the flat I used to live in and the letter came and she signed for it and sent it to me - that is how I found out. I have paid the amount outstanding of course (which with all the fees after those years ballooned to about 1000 euros), but as it all went so far I am sure I am on the "naughty list" and my credit score in Poland must be around 0.
    What shall we do?
    Can we ever get a mortgage now?
    I know on application there is a question regarding any bad debt EVER had... Can we just explain the situation to the lender or is it just a hopeless case?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

That will not affect your credit rating here. They will not know about it. Unless of course they request a polish credit rating report. I left UK a few years ago with unpaid tv bill (they wanted stupid money to cancel so I didn't pay). I got a mortgage no problem. I am not sure how banks deal with mortgage applications from people originally from outside Ireland. The banks would not have known I was outside Ireland but with you they will. Maybe someone else might be able to answer that for you how they deal with non Irish. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Safran

Well, at the time i did transfer the money from my account, but it did not say anywhere it had anything to do with debt. And by the time I give them my 6 months statement it will not be on it anyway.
    I do also from time to time send money to other polish accounts - I try to help out my mum a bit and sometimes send small sums to my Godchild. Would that be something that can be held against me? I do not have any polish bank account myself.
    I am now also reading deeper into the topic of polish credit score and it seems that my past debt might not even be on it, as they only receive information in regarda to loans and credits and my debt was a bill. So perhaps I need to just apply for my report and see for myself rather than worry.
    But what I am wondering is apart from the simple credit score check can the bank get any other info?
    And also if the credit score is ok will I still need to tell them about it.
    And: if i tell them and get refused is there a chance I would have more luck with council mortgage?

I have read recently here that a credit score from another country was requested when taking a mortgage. I am wondering if that is the casw in all the banks and does it depend on the lenght of residency?

Thanks for all your answers. You are very helpful.

Advertisement