Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home exchange

Options
  • 07-01-2016 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm basically just weighing up some options at the moment!

Taking a year out to work and travel - Oz, NZ and SE Asia. I've a four bedroom house just outside Cork City. I am considering renting a few rooms to professional people but the idea of house exchange has crossed my mind too.

Has anyone any experience of this? Any advice would be most grateful.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,716 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So you would need someone in those 3 places who wants to exchange? Seems unlikely that they would easily be found within your timelines that would match with their requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

So you would need someone in those 3 places who wants to exchange? Seems unlikely that they would easily be found within your timelines that would match with their requirements.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, perhaps but my plan is to start my year out with basing myself in Sydney for 6-8 months to work, then travel for approx. 1 month within Oz and then onto NZ - 1 month and SE Asia 1/2 months - it's a really rough plan - i know how expensive it is to live in Australia - so even if i just matched with someone who wants to come to Ireland for a few months whilst i live and work in Sydney then that would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,716 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I think 6 month terms would be minimum that most would want and ideally a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

Yes I think 6 month terms would be minimum that most would want and ideally a year.

Have you experience any first hand experience of ''home exchange''? I'm just wondering how it all works really ... the cost of the sign up fee for me is 130euro, which i wouldn't mind paying if it all works out ok for me (again it's another risk).

Advertisement