Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZyXel D1000 Router (Difference between DynDNS & Remote Management)

Options
  • 07-01-2016 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just ordered a static IP address and I intend to access media files (upload / download family photographs & videos) outside my home network (WAN).

What's the best method for achieving this, via the routers Dynamic DynDns or Remote Management settings ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gleNine

You dont need a static IP to use DynDns

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭VUDuo2

My router is within reach of my darling little girls hands, (loves the flashing lights) she keeps turning it off!
    By the way, I've no other place in the house to position the router away from mischievous little hands.

Each time I turn the router back on, the router is assigned a new IP address & I'd have to update the Dyndns service provider with the new WAN IP address, (at least that's my non-techy understanding anyway).

Hence my decision to go for a static IP.

So I'm wondering if the router's remote management properties allows the same access as the DynDns??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

VUDuo2 wrote: »
    My router is within reach of my darling little girls hands, (loves the flashing lights) she keeps turning it off!
    By the way, I've no other place in the house to position the router away from mischievous little hands.

Each time I turn the router back on, the router is assigned a new IP address & I'd have to update the Dyndns service provider with the new WAN IP address, (at least that's my non-techy understanding anyway).

Hence my decision to go for a static IP.

So I'm wondering if the router's remote management properties allows the same access as the DynDns??

If you have a static ip address then every time the modem connects the authentication server will assign the ip to the modem, so you don’t need to make any changes for this.

Accessing your media files would require extra configuration on your pc and setting up of port forwarding on the modem, Port forwarding is not something we provide support for but technical support can show you where port forwarding settings are on the modem if you contact them (free phone 1901 option 2) however follow here and see 9.3 on the D1000 manual for a guide to this: http://support.eir.ie/assets/static/images/support/responsive/download/d1000-eir.pdf

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement