Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwback Thursday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Csalem wrote: »
    Apologies, just realised I posted the above photo in the wrong thread. Normal service now resumes.

KD 338 is seen parked just off Abbey Street and off Strand Street in Dublin 1. This was a parking area used by buses of many routes. Examples in this shot include routes 67, 50 and 34A which KD 338 is on. This route operated from Middle Abbey Street to Finglas.
    In the mid-1990s as the Celtic Tiger roared into life, most of the area around this location was redeveloped. In the early 2000s Dublin Bus moved out due to Luas Red Line construction. Over the years there have been notions and ideas about building a bus station here, but even now in 2016 the place is empty and derelict.
    The ad on the side of the bus is worth noting through I admit to having no idea as to what it is for. 09/12/1988

Throwback Thursday (49) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

i loved the roar from the engines of these busses. i used to see them a lot but only ever got to travel on one once unfortunately.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Apologies, just realised I posted the above photo in the wrong thread. Normal service now resumes. :)

KD 338 is seen parked just off Abbey Street and off Strand Street in Dublin 1. This was a parking area used by buses of many routes. Examples in this shot include routes 67, 50 and 34A which KD 338 is on. This route operated from Middle Abbey Street to Finglas.
    In the mid-1990s as the Celtic Tiger roared into life, most of the area around this location was redeveloped. In the early 2000s Dublin Bus moved out due to Luas Red Line construction. Over the years there have been notions and ideas about building a bus station here, but even now in 2016 the place is empty and derelict.
    The ad on the side of the bus is worth noting through I admit to having no idea as to what it is for. 09/12/1988

A pre refurbed DART in there and that's my childhood in public transport terms <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Apologies, just realised I posted the above photo in the wrong thread. Normal service now resumes. :)

31398240301_5886788fa9_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (49) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

To the best of my recollection, this site was one purchased for the proposed bus station to serve the city centre, or more correctly two stations, one north of the river, the other in Temple Bar serving the southern side.
    This plan from the 1970s was tied in with the underground diversion of the Howth - Bray commuter route. The scheme was cancelled by CJ Haughey in 1987, hence we are stuck with the vomit bucket in Temple Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

tabbey wrote: »
    To the best of my recollection, this site was one purchased for the proposed bus station to serve the city centre, or more correctly two stations, one north of the river, the other in Temple Bar serving the southern side.
    This plan from the 1970s was tied in with the underground diversion of the Howth - Bray commuter route. The scheme was cancelled by CJ Haughey in 1987, hence we are stuck with the vomit bucket in Temple Bar.

Partly the case...the actual Strand Street site was given full PP in 2007 for a Hotel development which was to include a bus-interchange facility on ground floor level...however,it appears that some form of recession hit the Country in the interim and the developer was unable to finance the project.....

http://www.oms.ie/project/abbey-street-dublin

The project was a joint venture between CIE Property and a development company called Deepdrill...oh well ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Csalem

A short hop back nine years this week. In December 2007 Dublin Bus introduced into service the second batch of Enviro 500s. The first batch of twenty had been delivered in 2005 and went to Donnybrook. The second batch of fifty initially went to Phibsborough and appeared on a number of routes of that garage. These differed from the first batch by having a wider front door and LED destination displays. VT 25 is seen on Hawkins Street which was the then terminus for Blanchardstown routes. A few short years later it was transferred to Donnybrook as part of the VT 21-35 batch to supplement the other VTs on the 46A and 145. Dublin is one of the few cities in the world to operate the tri-axle Enviro 500s. 14/1/2007

31523979642_0e059553b6_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (50) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement

It is a trip back to 1995 for the second last Throwback Thursday of 2016. KD 346 is seen on Abbey Street, prior to operating route 22B to Blanchardstown Shopping Centre. This was a bit of an odd route that did not last very long. From Abbey Street it served Berkeley Road, New Cabra Road, Fassaugh Avenue, Navan Road, Castleknock Road and Blanchardstown Shopping Centre. It therefore provided a connection between the latter and Cabra, and was not the most direct route from the city centre to Blanchardstown. Where the bus is parked is now the Luas Red Line, and in fact the connection to the Green Line has gone in at this point. 22/12/1995

31774896276_49888e0a59_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (51) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Great post csalem brings back memories!

I don't know if anyone would know how true this is but I quite remember that the 22b was operated by a driver and a conductor (ie two party operated )

I was told that the route only ran because the driver and conductor who worked on the route were the last of the old TPO regime in Dublin who were edging towards retirement and once they retired the route ceased .

Anyone know if there's any truth to that ?

thomasj wrote: »

I don't know if anyone would know how true this is but I quite remember that the 22b was operated by a driver and a conductor (ie two party operated )

I was told that the route only ran because the driver and conductor who worked on the route were the last of the old TPO regime in Dublin who were edging towards retirement and once they retired the route ceased .

I think there may be an element of truth to that. Think I heard the same thing a while ago.

I would just like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Thank you for taking the time to look at my photographs this year. Unfortunately real life prevented Off The Beaten Track from getting an update, but I hope Throwback Thursday offered some interest.

GT 53 in the snow in Balbriggan on the 33 to Lower Abbey Street. 05/02/2013

30979724273_f48c7877d2_c.jpgHappy Christmas 2016 by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The 22/22A still had conductors on some services. I'm guessing that one of those crews worked the 22B as required.

Sure at the time that photo was taken in 1995, weren't the 22 and 22A both gone ? (both had converted to imp routes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sure at the time that photo was taken in 1995, weren't the 22 and 22A both gone ? (both had converted to imp routes)

22A was cancelled in December 1997 and replaced by the realigned imp, 121. The 22 was replaced by the realigned Imp 122 in June 1998, with the 121 being extended to Cabra at the same time.

The first Thursday in 2016 I started doing a Throwback Thursday looking back on some long lost bus scenes in Dublin. Today we have photograph number 52, the last one of 2016. The year started in Bray and so it seems appropriate to end in Bray. This time we are going back thirty years to 1986. KD 270 is seen on the 84A. This was a short 84 that only ran between Bray and Greystones. The bus is seen in Bray as it approaches the end of its journey. The 84A disappeared for a while, being replaced by the 184, but it has reappeared in recent times and now operates between Bray and St. Vincent's Hospital. Bray 29/12/1986
    And with that the 2016 Throwback Thursday has come to an end, but it will continue in 2017. Happy New Year!

31126682194_cce48d3f29_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (52) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

For the first shot of 2017 we are going back six years to 2011. On the face of it the shot does not look very remarkable. It is just a bus on the 33A in Balbriggan after making its way from Swords. However the destination is worth noting, for it says "Ballbriggan". For a period of time the destination screens on the 33 correctly had Balbriggan but the 33A for some reason gained an extra 'L'. This situation lasted a few short years before being corrected.
    The route itself started in 2002. Dublin Bus proposed to run a more frequent 33A between Swords and Skerries/Balbriggan and reduce the number of services on route 33 which operated to Dublin. The idea was that passengers for the city would change in Swords onto the 41/41C. The plan was an failure and services were restored on the 33, with some departures on the 33A maintained. AX 633 Balbriggan 05/01/2011

31752469620_8d20c100f9_z.jpgThrowback Thursday (53) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

A quick hop back five years this week to 2012. RV 608 is seen crossing the Samuel Beckett Bridge with a 15B to Benson Street from Stocking Avenue. The Beckett Bridge is the newest bridge over the River Liffey in Dublin, having opened in December 2009. It is designed to represent a harp, a symbol associated with Ireland. The 15B, along with the 15A, started using the bridge to access the Grand Canal Dock area of the city in December 2011, when their termini was relocated from Eden Quay. The bus itself was withdrawn before the end of 2012. 12/01/2012

32122030992_873f254de8_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (54) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

A short hop back this week to a short bus. WV 42 is seen loadimg up in Dun Laoghaire as it operates route 59 to Mackintosh Park. This was part of a fleet of buses that once number 52, but today numbers 3. And it seems 2017 may see the end of them as new midi-buses are on the way. The WVs were initially used on City Imp routes such as the 123 and 150 but over time these routes transitioned to bigger buses, and today the smaller buses are only required on route 44B. Just before Christmas 2016 the 59 itself underwent a change and now only operates between Killiney and Dun Laoghaire. The residents of Mackintosh Park have to use the 63 now. It is possible to see a WV bus on the new 59, but probably not for much longer. 18/01/2011

31567414944_02ffd56cbf_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (55) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

The first Thursday in 2016 I started doing a Throwback Thursday looking back on some long lost bus scenes in Dublin. Today we have photograph number 52, the last one of 2016. The year started in Bray and so it seems appropriate to end in Bray. This time we are going back thirty years to 1986. KD 270 is seen on the 84A. This was a short 84 that only ran between Bray and Greystones. The bus is seen in Bray as it approaches the end of its journey. The 84A disappeared for a while, being replaced by the 184, but it has reappeared in recent times and now operates between Bray and St. Vincent's Hospital. Bray 29/12/1986
    And with that the 2016 Throwback Thursday has come to an end, but it will continue in 2017. Happy New Year!

31126682194_cce48d3f29_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (52) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

great photo! I remember the 84A. Was quite infrequent back in the day and only ran from Bray Railway Station to Greystones Railway Station.

Loved those KD-Class buses. Had many a journey on them on the 84 between 1985 and 1991. Last time i saw one on the 84 was around July 2000.

A trip back to 2009 this week and AV 125 is seen on O'Connell Street with a 747 to the Airport. This bus was delivered in 2000 and replaced high-floor RVs on the premium Dublin Bus service to the airport. However in 2009 these buses were nearing the end of their days on this route as new VG double-deckers from Wrights were being delivered at this time. The Airlink AVs were absorbed into the standard fleet and spent most of their time on the 16. AV 125 memorably had an engine fire on O'Connell Street on Christmas Eve, 2007, but as can be seen here the bus returned to service. It still runs today but on an open-top tour in Belfast. This livery was introduced around 2006 and is still in use today, as are the 2009 VGs. 26/01/2009

32162681170_4444b48116_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (56) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Thirty years ago today in 1987, Irish Rail, Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann came into being. The three companies replaced CIE as the main transport operators in Ireland, although they were subsidiaries of CIE. The three companies created their own identities by modifying the current CIE liveries. Dublin Bus added an orange stripe to the two-tone green livery that had initially appeared on the KD class and rolled it out onto the rest of the fleet. This livery lasted until the AV arrived in 2000. D 442 is seen on Burgh Quay four months after Dublin Bus created in the new livery but without the new company logo. This took a bit longer to appear as a number of options were considered. The bus is on route 62. 10/06/1987

32518641982_c2bc3abed8_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (57) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

great photo as always and shows it took its time for dublin bus to switch the new livery based on the 2 kds behind.

Disappointing really, that dublin bus didn't do anything really to mark the 30th anniversary. Irish rail did a twitter marathon of posting photos from around the country. they posted a picture of connolly station at all hours of the morning and they posted pictures constantly for 24 hours to mark the occasion

A trip back to 2013 this week. AV 247 is seen on D'Olier Street while operating route 9 to Limekiln Avenue from Charlestown. The bus is in an all-over ad (or at least a "three quarters"-over ad) for Brennan's Bread. Buses in Dublin over many decades were covered in ads like this but this was phased out in the 2000s. But around 2012 this policy was reversed and a number of buses received some wraps. Sadly as I post this today in 2017 there are no Dublin Bus buses in an all-over ad. Maybe it will change soon? 08/02/2013

32653915022_1cb2376fb7_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (58) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement

A visit back to 2008 this week to see the previous tour livery. On the 7th February 2017, Dublin Bus launched the new brand and livery for the Dublin Bus tours, now called DoDublin. This rebranding replaces the current livery which is a two-tone green with a yellow stripe. That livery itself was introduced in 2008 and replaced the one seen here on AV 328. This bus was not part of the open-top City Tour but rather used on the South Coast Tour and based in Donnybrook Garage. In the peak periods it was used on extra services on the main routes from the garage, such as the 145 as seen here. At this time the route still went to Kilmacanogue via Bray Station. The bus did not last long in the tour fleet and within a few years was part of the normal fleet. It is still clinging on in service today but now operates out of Harristown. The South Coast Tour still operates visiting places such as Powerscourt and Glendalough.
    AV 328 Leeson St 16/02/2008

32815073471_13782fb548_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (59) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

After skipping a week due to holidays, we are back with a trip back in time to 2014. AV 110 is seen in Rathfarnham on route 17 from Rialto to Blackrock. This is a Donnybrook route but the bus is synonymous with Summerhill Garage. There it started off on the 33 before moving to the 20B in 2002. It then settled on that route before leaving the garage in 2013. It transferred to Donnybrook before being withdrawn in mid-2014. While at that garage it occasionally appeared on the 145 which went to Kilmacanogue in Wicklow, so the bus had a career that spanned the entire length of Dublin, from Balbriggan in the north to Wicklow in the south. 01/03/2014

32368278134_60689e72de_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (60) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

A trip back to 2008 this week and to a bus route that existed then, and now, but didn't exist for a number of years in between. RV 460 is seen approaching Dun Laoghaire with a 7A to Mackintosh Park. This route ceased three years later in 2011, with Mackintosh Park only being served by route 59. However in November 2016 changes were introduced to route 7, with the old route to Loughlinstown Park becoming the 7A and the new routing to Cherrywood becoming the 7. RV 460 went on to have a career after Dublin Bus with Dualways. It holds the distinction of being the bus that trialled dot-matrix destinations for Dublin Bus. Nowadays buses use LED destinations but the last dot-matrix destination survived until the start of 2017. 12/03/2008

32503473214_cb49147193_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (61) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Another trip back to 2008 this week to a bus route that is now no more. AV 64 is seen arriving at the railway station in Sutton with a 31C from Howth. This route operated between the two villages via Howth Summit. The route itself was brought in in 2005 and pretty much followed the same routing as the former route 88, which itself was brought in to replace the Hill of Howth tram. The 31C lasted until approximately 2009 when it was abolished through a network review, along with a few other little-used routes. The 31 and 31B provided a service to parts of Howth Head previously served by the 31C.
    AV 64 went on to have an interesting career when it finished in public service - it became one of the two vehicles used on the Ghost Bus Tour and is still in service in 2017. Sutton Station, 12/03/2008

33438188336_c63dbe82df_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (62) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

A brief hop back to 2013 this week. This was a time just before Luas Cross City works came to O'Connell Street and started to alter the main thoroughfare in the capital. Where the bin is located there are now Luas tracks, with the first tram due to pass here in three months time. The bus, AX 545 is part of the Wedding Bus fleet which is currently being phased out and absorbed back into the standard fleet. Thus the bus will lose some of uniqueness. This bus, based in Donnybrook, was part of a pretty unique sequence with AX 542 and 543 part of the Coastal Tour fleet and 544 becoming the 1916 bus in 2016. Unlike in the picture, AX 545 now has a LED destination display rather than the DMD shown here. I am not sure if this destination is still possible on the bus... O'Connell Street. 23/03/2013

32797271463_381d2e31c3_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (63) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

For the first time in a while we are going back in time to the 1980s. To be precise it is 1988 and D 554 is seen parked between Abbey Street and Strand Street. This was used for many years as a place to park buses between duties. When the Luas tram works started in the early 2000s, Dublin Bus were forced to clear out of here and park their buses elsewhere around the city.
    There is also a connection between the Luas tram and the route the bus is on. The 86 was introduced in 1958 after the Harcourt Street railway line was shut. It was designed as a replacement for the lost train services and ran between the city centre and Shankill. It survived up until the early 2000s but was only a shadow of its former self by then. It had one departure a day between Sandyford and Shankill. The Harcourt Street line itself was revived in the early-2000s as part of the Luas Green Line. 29/03/1988

33613711991_7d1f2bb235_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (64) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are hoping back to 1995 and an unusual sight in Balbriggan, north County Dublin. Over the course of this particular week or so Irish Rail replaced the County Bridge over the railway line on the southern side of the town. This bridge carried the main road from Skerries to Balbriggan, and is used by the 33. With the road shut, the diversionary route had to be used. This brought the traffic under the railway viaduct near the harbour. However that particular arch could not take the usual double-deckers that operated the route. Nor could some of the diversionary roads. Dublin Bus resolved this issue by putting a KC single decker on a shuttle service between Balbriggan and Skerries, where it met the regular 33 service. This brought the unusual sight of a Dublin Bus single-decker to Balbriggan. KC 30 is seen here just after passing under the railway viaduct in Balbriggan . 02/04/1995

33067168233_b5b168c7a7_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (65) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

GT 85 at The Golden Ball in Kilternan with a 44 to Enniskerry:
    33105798553_6e10afe71b_c.jpgGT 85 Kilternan 08/04/17 by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

This week we are throwing back to 1993, when Dublin Bus were experimenting with a new livery. After 6 years of two-tone green with an orange stripe, they decided to try something new. So KD 223 was painted into a livery comprising of two-tone green with an orange stripe. As can be seen when compared with the RH behind, the greens were adjusted with the top green made much paler and the lower green much darker. This experiment was not a success and the buses continued to be painted in the standard livery until the end of the decade. It wasn't all green in 1993 though as City Imp and City Swift were appearing on the streets.
    KD 223 is seen in Dun Laoghaire about to operate to the City Centre with a 46A. Back then the route still served Stillorgan village. 13/04/1993

33175294694_1bd3842bac_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (66) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

• Advertisement

It's a trip back to 1995 (and not 1997 as the label says) this week and to another experimental livery. This time Dublin Bus decided to try something different than two-tone green and went with blue and white with a yellow stripe. The livery was quite attractive but was not adopted by Dublin Bus, and only this bus was painted in the livery.
    RH 147 was based in Donnybrook and is seen here at the 45 terminus on Eden Quay. This route ran to Oldcourt in Bray until 2012 when it was abolished under Network Direct. 22/04/1995

33779727120_09d9284754_c.jpgThrowback Thursday (67) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Advertisement