Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Become a driving instructor

Options
  • 07-01-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Was thinking of doing this part-time. Would appreciate any opinions/advise on getting into this line of work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Temppe

I became a driving instructor a good few years ago - 2010 (wow long time!).
    I lasted a few weeks. Then got a job in a shop making rolls instead. Here's run down of my experience.

I worked for a well know driving school. I actually got my ADI permit training from them. Then they interviewed me and offered me a job. There was a probation period, after which they said they'd evaluate my skill in rebooking students and decide if they'd keep me on. They REALLY emphasised the importance of getting students to book the next lesson ("don't let them leave the car until they've paid" - seriously) and sometimes I'd be in the back seat while a more senior instructor conducted a lesson and I saw people being bullied into handing over two hundred Euro right in front of me. I couldn't bring myself to do this to my students, so after a few weeks they let me go.

The whole experience was extremely negative. I don't know if all schools are like that or just this one. I won't name it publicly, but to be frank, they were utter @$$holes, so I was glad to get out and I never wanted to have anything to do with that line of work ever again.

This paints a pretty gloomy picture. I do happen to know there are plenty of independent instructors out there (I've met a few) who are far more amicable to the students. Also, you're going to have to work evenings and weekends a lot, and you won't be able to plan too far ahead because you never know when you might book a lesson.

But this all happened five years ago. Perhaps other people here will have better information than my sorry tale!

Advertisement