Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prohibition notice

Options
  • 07-01-2016 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello. After half an year battle over a situation in the apartment a Prohibition notice was served to the letting agent. It says he shell not let or re-let the apartment. Could anyone tell me what rights/duty do I have as the tenant? Thank you :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Who gave a notice for what reason?

Edit: Was it a prohibition notice from the local authority for failing to meet minimum standards? I'd ask for my deposit back and move out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Velka

yes, it was notice from local authority. It is ongoing story, there was some letters and improvement notice before. And yes it is for the minimum standarts ... illegaly wired washing machine and dryer in the bathroom. I am on RAS and they didnt let me move out during the half of year(no bother they call that risk of healt situation) they demand me to stay. And there is no action since the prohibition notice. Local authority doesnt communicate with me unless I push them really hard. The agent must have high seated friend there :-( So I need some advice what is standart proceedure or what I have to do .....

Who gave a notice for what reason?

Edit: Was it a prohibition notice from the local authority for failing to meet minimum standards? I'd ask for my deposit back and move out asap.

If you're getting no joy from the landlord/agent or the local authority, it's time to register a complaint with the PRTB. This is really poor from the local authority, one arm is telling the landlord it's unsafe and the other arm is saying stay where you are. It might be worth ringing the local authority as well and see if the department doing the prohibition notices can do something about the department doing RAS.

well, some higher inspector from RAS department is in contact with the PRTB inspector about my case. The problem is the RAS department is friendly to the agent and obviously cover for him, so they make me stay. The PRTB inspector said he might get into the trouble when he issued the Improvement notice. So in the council generally must be some friendly protection for the agent. What can PRTB do about this, once there is already the Prohibition notice. It says he shell not let or re-let the apt. It means I have nothing to do here. They cannot make the authority rehouse me can they? Or what possible outcome I can get? Yeah that's unbelievable the authority pay rent for prohibited accommodation.

The PRTB don't issue or enforce Prohibition or Improvement Notices, the local authority do, but the PRTB can get involved if there is still no action. The information I have available (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html) says the Prohibition Notice prevents the landlord from re-letting on penalty of prosecution, but I'm not sure on current lettings. Your best bet is to issue a complaint with the local authority and raise a dispute with the PRTB. If nothing else, it might get them to rectify the failings in the minimum standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Talk to an influential local councillor - they may be able to escalate the conversation between the two different parts of the council.

I have a copy of the Prohibition Notice and it says he shall not let or re-let. I guess it is because I was told at the first time, it is risk of life situation. Thank you for the advice. I did contact the council two days ago and no answer received yet, but today came an electrician to do the job. So we have another step done. It works this way all the time .... I ask council, get no response and in two days some worker come to have a look around and now finally to do some job. I keep hope, I will not need to push them again to finish that :-)
    Thank you for advice and I hope I will not need to use it :-)

says the Prohibition Notice prevents the landlord from re-letting on penalty of prosecution, but I'm not sure on current lettings.

Advertisement