Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golden Retriver 2.5 years old - Jumping up

• 07-01-2016 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

We have a 2.5 year old golden retriever, he's a big dog and jumps/ bounces constantly. It's got to the point where my 10 yr old son is scared to go outside. Can anyone give me some training advice on how to stop this. I know he should have been trained earlier, but is it too late now to train a dog of this age?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Is the dog kept outside? Or does he do it when you walk into the room/come home?
    Jumping up is their way of showing you how excited they are to see you. What I've found that helps is to cross your arms and turn your back and let them calm down and then say hello, and you make sure to bend down to their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

ch1981 wrote: »
    We have a 2.5 year old golden retriever, he's a big dog and jumps/ bounces constantly. It's got to the point where my 10 yr old son is scared to go outside. Can anyone give me some training advice on how to stop this. I know he should have been trained earlier, but is it too late now to train a dog of this age?

My experience is it's never to late to train a dog. My 13 year old collie x was an awful jumper all his life because I let him be. Two months ago it had to change because I was going to be on crutches for a long time and can't have him jumping up.

We just went with making him sit and making a fuss with petting and telling him how great he was when he was sitting quietly and short sharp no's every time he jumped, and no fuss. It required someone being with me every time he was in the room for about a month but he got the message.

I'm no expert, and I know with a child and a big dog involved there's other concerns, but that method worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ch1981

He is outside so it's whenever we go out or someone comes to the house. He isn't an aggressive dog at all and I know he's just excited to see us but he really is a big heavy dog and his size can be quite intimidating!
    Maybe the problem is that we aren't consistent enough, I suppose Im looking for quick results but I'll try the turning our back and fussing when he's sitting

ch1981 wrote: »
    I suppose Im looking for quick results

I don't think any training is instant magic and you have to look at the whole picture. Is the dog getting enough exercise, walks, interaction with people? At 2 he is certainly very trainable. How good is the rest of his training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭.45auto

My grandad had the same problem with his labrador, and what he would do is in the morning,when he made himself breakfast.To wake himself up( he was a bus driver and needed to be alert) he would pour a tiny bit of jack daniels in his porridge. and as he would be out all day, the dog would be hyper when he got back so in the mornings before he left he would do the same thing and pour jack daniels in the dogs pedigree. The dog loved it and it chilled the dog out.

• Advertisement

My grandad had the same problem with his labrador, and what he would do is in the morning,when he made himself breakfast.To wake himself up( he was a bus driver and needed to be alert) he would pour a tiny bit of jack daniels in his porridge. and as he would be out all day, the dog would be hyper when he got back so in the mornings before he left he would do the same thing and pour jack daniels in the dogs pedigree. The dog loved it and it chilled the dog out.

To be honest rest of the training isnt great. We need to start the whole process again, more interaction more exercise etc. What would be the most important training to start with? Is focusing on the jumping not going to work if he isnt trained in other areas?

What would be the most important training to start with? Is focusing on the jumping not going to work if he isnt trained in other areas?
    Personally I think having a solid sit can get you out of a lot of trouble in other areas of training and is something that can be built on.

I think if you started with a long walk, and then when he got back you did five minutes of sit, stay whatever it is you want to train him to. I personally wouldn't try teach him to sit, if he hasn't seen anyone all day and he hasn't had a walk that day as it will just frustrate you and the dog. He will simply have too much energy to focus on what he needs to do.

You mentioned you have a son. Think of him as a toddler. That's the level of attention and focus I reckon dogs have. If he is wound up and only interested in doing zoomies, he wont be able to listen.

Does he come inside at all? Personally I find training a lot easier inside.

No he doesnt come in at all due to the jumping! Ill try a long walk and then when he has burned off a bit of energy try the sit. I tried when we first got him but didnt persevere with it, hence we're in this situation!
    Thanks for the advice, when we did train before with treats we then found he got a bit obsessed with getting the treats and once they weren't there he would ignore us. Is it possible/better to train without food rewards?

It depends on what motivates your dog, my dog is food orientated so we use food to train. In the training process once I've got him reliably doing the action I wean out the treat and only give the treat then every so often. I know another dog who is not food orientated at all, she is all about praise.
    You know your dog and what he likes and what motivates him.
    For me, the most important thing is to train positively. And that the dog does what you ask him because he wants to not because he is afraid not to.
    Does he calm down after you spend time with him? How long does it take him to calm down?

Personally I like these videos https://youtu.be/aIdKdba_Wmo?list=PL0C724F6F6A597540

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Agree with folding arms and turning your back - you just have to show him that you won't give him any attention until he's calm. I have 2 retrievers and one can get very exited and try to jump to certain people we know -they actively encourage him to do it though and make kissy voices to him etc. It drives me MAD to the point I usually avoid waking where I'll bump into them!! >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

.45auto wrote: »

Getting the dog locked is hardly the answer tbh

Getting the dog locked is hardly the answer tbh

It may not be the answer but i dont see you with the solution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Are you serious?

My dog jumps up is the problem and your solution is to give it Jack Daniels? This based on the morning alcoholism of a bus driver?

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Not a great lesson for the OP impressionable son either. Only way to chill out is drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

OP it sounds like your dog inst getting near enough exercise and stimulation he needs and as a result he is over excited.. this is easily sorted with proper amount of exercise and stimulation... plus maybe look at what you are feeding him - poor quality can lead to hyperness in a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Our guy did this for about a year every time we let him in the back door or I walked in the front door.

What eventually worked was to just open the door a crack so that he can see, smell and hear you, but can't touch you.

Then ask him to sit. If he backs away, open the door a little more. The second he lunges forward or breaks his sit you shut the door again.

After a few repetitions he'll cop that "back off = door open, lunging in = door closed".

Once this basic concept clicks for him he can concentrate on his own self control, gradually work up to stepping outside and just retreat if he goes nuts. You can then keep making the rules as strict and polite as you like but it will take massive patience from you.

You'll probably want a decent understanding of "sit" to build this on.

Don't expect him to get it immediately and learn to see barely perceptible baby steps as progress. It literally took our guy a year to calmly greet my wife and I, we're only now working on acceptable greetings for our extended family (strangers will be the next level again).

I'd guess his general exuberance will settle once you can get him inside a bit more. If he's outside all day and night he's bound to be over the moon when he gets a visitor.

One other thing that helps our guy massively is a chewy or plush toy in his mouth when he's trying to control his excitement. When our guy is really excited he just can't sit without something in his mouth and will go find something himself if we don't give him a toy.

Be prepared for lots of inexplicable setbacks and days when all the training seems to have gone into reverse. Be prepared to be jumped on, wear old clothes when you open the door and brace yourself because he will forget himself sometimes.

hardCopy wrote: »
    One other thing that helps our guy massively is a chewy or plush toy in his mouth when he's trying to control his excitement. When our guy is really excited he just can't sit without something in his mouth and will go find something himself if we don't give him a toy.

This is so adorable.
    hardCopy wrote: »
    Be prepared for lots of inexplicable setbacks and days when all the training seems to have gone into reverse. Be prepared to be jumped on, wear old clothes when you open the door and brace yourself because he will forget himself sometimes.

Ultimately I think lots of it comes down to the human and you have to have patience, and remember than while you want him to stop, the reason he is doing it is because he loves you and is excited to see you.

Are you serious?

My dog jumps up is the problem and your solution is to give it Jack Daniels? This based on the morning alcoholism of a bus driver?

The mind boggles.

Im only trying to help

Im only trying to help

No offence, but giving spirits to a dog is probably a very very bad idea.

• Advertisement

No offence, but giving spirits to a dog is probably a very very bad idea.

Its not tho

Its not tho

Are you a vet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Its not tho

Okay. 45auto, I've held back on saying anything, but you are categorically not allowed advise the administration of any potentially harmful substances to animals here.
    Drop it now.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    DBB

Advertisement