Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on a project for college (Cordova or android Studio)

Options
  • 07-01-2016 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Currently doing a final year project in computer science for Android. I had started it and I was using android studio and I am supposed to be half way through it but I ran into a few difficulties. My question is should I continue using Android studio or create a hybrid APP using cordova. I've never used Cordova where as I have used android studio (still not entirely fluent with it yet). I would have to learn how to use it and I realistically have till then end of March to finish it. Hybrid was recommended to me so I just wanted to see what peoples opinion on it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

What are you more comfortable with? Java or JavaScript?

What are the requirements for the application?

Is it a simple data consumption application or do you plan to use any native Android features?

What difficulties did you run into when developing in native and why couldn't you resolve them?

Why was hybrid recommended to you?

What is the ultimate goal of your final year project?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ecribs

Not great with java but I can understand it and do bits and pieces with it. I've never used javascript before but it looks a lot easier and I've been told it's easier too.

The project is anything I want it to be as long as it meets standards of a fourth year student.

I intend to create an educational application for an in classroom environment where documents can be uploaded downloaded edited from the app (possibly assign homework too) and read books and then admin tasks such as taking attendance monitoring performance. A lot of it is trying to replace methods used in classrooms in school today by paper and promote the introduction of tablets in school.
    I did a presentation and a lecturer suggested hybrid apps I only discovered it was a thing then and there and now I'm just trying to see would it be better sticking with android studio or trying cordova and ionic technologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

ecribs wrote: »
    Not great with java but I can understand it and do bits and pieces with it. I've never used javascript before but it looks a lot easier and I've been told it's easier too.

As an ex-Java developer now working full-time with JavaScript on the client and server, I don't know if I would agree with this. :-)

You mention upload and download: is there a backend needed here too? Are you familiar with HTML and CSS?

There will be a back end using azure server. Only getting used to it slowly but surely. A lot of this is new even as a final year student but learning it is a part of the fun of it! I don't mind adding javascript to my list of things if it proves to be useful!

You mention upload and download: is there a backend needed here too? Are you familiar with HTML and CSS?

Yeah I have covered html and css and I'm fairly comfortable with them! especially with loads of templates already out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm an Android developer and I'd say just stick with Android Studio.

But have a quick Google for stuff like how to upload/download/edit files on an Azure server separetely for Android and Cordova and see which returns the most results. Then go with that. You're gonna be Googling the hell out of everything so best to go with the one that has more community support/samples.

Also, you're in 4th year and not great with Java. What language were you taught programming through? Maybe if you know another language, you might be able to use that instead.

Advertisement