Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer won't load on custom build

Options
  • 07-01-2016 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Hi, I had a computer built for me with help picking out the parts. The electricity was off today, so I decided to clean out the dust inside.

When I plugged everything back in and turned on the computer, the screen just stays blank. The computer switches on and the fans spin, but nothing shows up on the monitor.

I know the monitor is working because I connected to my satellite box and the picture showed up.

Is there anyway of telling if I bollocksed up my PC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Is there another output on the pc you can connect to the monitor via to test it? ie. if you are using vga can you try hdmi or dvi?

Another thing to check would be if the monitor auto detects the input or if it is manual in case you changed it by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First thing to check, did you connect your display to the motherboard or the graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

Ant695 wrote: »
    Is there another output on the pc you can connect to the monitor via to test it? ie. if you are using vga can you try hdmi or dvi?

Another thing to check would be if the monitor auto detects the input or if it is manual in case you changed it by accident.

I know the monitor works. I connected it to my satellite box via HDMI and I get a picture.

I tried connecting my computer to my TV via HDMI, but noting.

VGA and DVI is the same result - blank screen.

I'm almost certain I damaged something on the motherboard when brushing on blowing dust off it.

ED E wrote: »
    First thing to check, did you connect your display to the motherboard or the graphics card?

I didn't even plug out any of the wires, it's the same as the day I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Remove everything except the CPU, PSU and the small cables that are connected to your case (speaker, power, reset). Make sure they are connected in the correct pins.
    Start the pc, you should hear 8 beeps, error message that there is no memory.
    If not, you probably damaged the mobo. If yes, add memory, turn on, beeps for vga, install vga, and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Out of interest, what did you use to dust the inside of the PC?
    Did you spin the fans at all on any component with a hoover or mini vac?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

Xenoronin wrote: »

I'm also curious as to how you cleaned this, vodka or rubbing alcohol and toilet tissue is usually enough to ensure that it is okay, and a hairdryer set to blow cold air is perfect for dust, I wouldn't use anything with bristles, just in case one lodges in somewhere etc.
    Just my opinion though.

As was said above, work through it piece by piece, that's the only real way to troubleshoot what may be causing the problem.

Wizard! wrote: »
    Remove everything except the CPU, PSU and the small cables that are connected to your case (speaker, power, reset). Make sure they are connected in the correct pins.
    Start the pc, you should hear 8 beeps, error message that there is no memory.
    If not, you probably damaged the mobo. If yes, add memory, turn on, beeps for vga, install vga, and so on.

Just tried that and no beeping sounds.

Xenoronin wrote: »

I blew air at it and swept it with a small brush that you'd use for cleaning a floor.

quainy wrote: »
    I'm also curious as to how you cleaned this, vodka or rubbing alcohol and toilet tissue is usually enough to ensure that it is okay, and a hairdryer set to blow cold air is perfect for dust, I wouldn't use anything with bristles, just in case one lodges in somewhere etc.
    Just my opinion though.

As was said above, work through it piece by piece, that's the only real way to troubleshoot what may be causing the problem.

Yeah, I used a brush. Regret it now.

What should I do next, bring to a repair shop? Anywhere near North Dublin that can fix them?

I bought the parts from Hardwareversand just over a year ago and they're gone into administration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Yeah, I used a brush. Regret it now.

What should I do next, bring to a repair shop? Anywhere near North Dublin that can fix them?

I bought the parts from Hardwareversand just over a year ago and they're gone into administration.

If it's only display you have an issue with it'd be cheaper and easier to get a cheap graphics card to connect to the monitor than replacing the motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its possible the long lack of power has wiped settings in the bios. Still worth trying onboard video instead of the GPU as that could be the default. If thats a no go, do a CMOS clear.

Unlikely answer: I have a mobo that works fine, but if AC is disconnected it won't work no matter what unless you leave it plugged in and off for 24hrs. Then its fine again until AC is removed completely again. Weird issues like that can crop up, but its really not common.

ED E wrote: »
    Still worth trying onboard video instead of the GPU as that could be the default. If thats a no go, do a CMOS clear.

I honestly don't know what any of that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Just tried that and no beeping sounds.

Your motherboard may not have a speaker connected (and hence you won't hear the beeps). Its a tiny separate speaker that comes with the motherboard. Have you tried connecting up to the video output from the motherboard instead of the graphics card?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I honestly don't know what any of that means.

He means did you use the HDMI on the motherboard. Instead of the graphics card one. To test see if its the graphics card.

Least thats what I got.

I might be jumping the gun so don't take this as gospel. I think, maybe, you may have broken a soldering connection on the motherboard, or done something to ground a circuit, you'll have to spend some more time troubleshooting before you know for certain, it's just something that seems likely if you used a brush on it.

Again, this is NOT a professional diagnostic, just my opinion.

Just continue troubleshooting, try finding that on board speaker on the mobo and listen closely for the beeps, be a bit hard to miss 8 though.

He means did you use the HDMI on the motherboard. Instead of the graphics card one. To test see if its the graphics card.

Least thats what I got.

Yeah, I tried both and nothing. I'm just going to let a professional look at it in the morning, I hate not having a desktop to use.

How much does it usually cost to repair a motherboard?

I barely touched it with the brush because it was standing upright, so there wasn't any dust on it. Can't remember if I touched with my hand, but I was wearing plenty of static electricity-generating clothes as it was freezing in the house with the electricity off.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Yeah, I tried both and nothing.

When you put the HDMI into the main motherboard port, was the graphics card removed, because otherwise the pc will try to send the signal there.

The other suggestion was to clear the CMOS. The motherboard has a round silver battery that provides a trickle of power to store some basic settings. Removing that, with everything plugged out, for a few minutes would clear those settings that may have been affected somehow.

How much does it usually cost to repair a motherboard?

How long is a piece of string? It all depends on what they find the problem to be. They may take one look at that thing and tell you that you need a new mobo, or he may be able to solder on a new connection and overcharge you for fifteen minutes labour lol. Unfortunately, this is just one of those vague things that someone needs to diagnose in person.

Advertisement