Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a business idea to fruition

Options
  • 07-01-2016 4:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

Folks, I have a really good business idea tried and tested in a growing market, problem is, this is my first forray into business. Anyone know of a company which can aid me with the a to z of getting set up? I also need a partner with a tech/dev background who can provide some investment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

The only info you give is it is "tried and tested", to what extent?
    What have you, yourself, done so far with the project?
    Do you have any money of your own to invest in it?
    Why would anyone invest in you/your idea?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

pedronomix wrote: »
    The only info you give is it is "tried and tested", to what extent? there is currently an offering in this market and it works well
    What have you, yourself, done so far with the project? research, i work in the industry also so i have gained experience, developed a pathway to build the business, I am not a tech person so I need someone to come on board to build the platform
    Do you have any money of your own to invest in it? yes but the initial investment will be very small, i will bootstrap rather than throw money at it and get an MVP out there asap
    Why would anyone invest in you/your idea? great potential return and the opportunity to be part of something new and dynamic

The only info you give is it is "tried and tested", to what extent? there is currently an offering in this market and it works well
    What have you, yourself, done so far with the project? research, i work in the industry also so i have gained experience, developed a pathway to build the business, I am not a tech person so I need someone to come on board to build the platform
    Do you have any money of your own to invest in it? yes but the initial investment will be very small, i will bootstrap rather than throw money at it and get an MVP out there asap
    Why would anyone invest in you/your idea? great potential return and the opportunity to be part of something new and dynamic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

jezzer wrote: »
    great potential return and the opportunity to be part of something new and dynamic

An accountant would help you with the basics.

No experienced investor is going to be convinced by what you've detailed above.

You'd be amazed with the amount of people that have fantastic ideas. 2 a penny, I know you're different, but nobody else will know that.

You're other options are friends (they'll know you and you can talk to them) or your bank manager/Credit Union.

Besides an investor is likely to want your first born child in return for investing.

Yup, that's what he said alright. ;)

An accountant would help you with the basics.

No experienced investor is going to be convinced by what you've detailed above.

You'd be amazed with the amount of people that have fantastic ideas. 2 a penny, I know you're different, but nobody else will know that.

You're other options are friends (they'll know you and you can talk to them) or your bank manager/Credit Union.

Besides an investor is likely to want your first born child in return for investing.

if i went to an accountant presumably they would be able to aid me with the company set up, tax efficiencies etc?

I suppose its more of a partner i am looking for rather than an investor, in terms of what i have detailed above, i know, i cant really say any more at present, sure fantastic ideas certainly are 2 a penny, its just for me to make this actually happen

• Advertisement

if i went to an accountant presumably they would be able to aid me with the company set up, tax efficiencies etc?

You might even be able to get a first consult for free. If you don't ask...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You're probably not going to get a huge amount of meaningful advice based on the information you've given so far. See an accountant and consider doing a start your own business course.

If I were looking at this post with a developers hat on:

you're an unknown person, working in an unknown industry with an unspecified amount of experience and/or track record within that industry. You've conducted unspecified research which may or may not be documented and you'll be investing a vaguely minimum amount of money. You have no experience in starting or running a business and your future contribution to this new business remains unspecified. You're looking for a developer to build an unspecified product of unknown size and unquantified complexity using unspecified technologies.

I can tell you it is incredibly difficult to attract a developer on an equity basis, almost unheard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

You may well have a great product concept/ idea but that is only a small element of a successful business. If you know nothing about business, you have no chance unless you set about learning. To get an idea of the basic info you will need to know, fill this out https://www.enterprise-ireland.com/en/Start-a-Business-in-Ireland/Do-I-qualify-as-a-HPSU-/Business-Plan-Template-.doc. It it much more benign than the level of info any potential investor will seek, even for Mickey mouse money!

Any notion that there are companies out there that will do this for you are pie in the sky, unless you have a decent 5 figure number to spend for no guaranteed results.

Graham wrote: »
    You're probably not going to get a huge amount of meaningful advice based on the information you've given so far. See an accountant and consider doing a start your own business course.

you're an unknown person, working in an unknown industry with an unspecified amount of experience and/or track record within that industry. You've conducted unspecified research which may or may not be documented and you'll be investing a vaguely minimum amount of money. You have no experience in starting or running a business and your future contribution to this new business remains unspecified. You're looking for a developer to build an unspecified product of unknown size and unquantified complexity using unspecified technologies.

I can tell you it is incredibly difficult to attract a developer on an equity basis, almost unheard of.

obviously i'm not going to spew out on a forum exactly what i am doing

Graham wrote: »

those start your own business courses are a complete waste of time, i know exactly what I am doing i just need a developer on board with me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

i know exactly what I am doing

You might, I don't know you, I don't know your idea. I suspect that goes for other contributors to the thread.

The point of my post was to suggest that it's impossible to tell (from your original post) what you know or what you're looking for.

Advertisement