Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security light won't switch off

Options
  • 07-01-2016 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Hi

have an Eterna EPIR120BK/120Wh PIR Halogen Floodlight.

It was staying on continuously so switched it off.

When I switched it on again it didn't work at all, so replaced the bulb.

While up on the ladder, I noticed that the motion sensor (which I believe is supposed to be a sealed unit) was full of water. Anyway, gave it a go, turned it on again and the light just stayed on continuously.

Any ideas? Does the whole thing need to be replaced or just the motion sensor?

Thanks

JC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

can't say re the unit but would go LED with replacement

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Eterna woulnd not be very expensive. It would be a skip job IMO for the light . You can go like for like or as suggested level up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Motion sensor is probably shorted, which turns it into a simple on/off light. As others say, the units aren't expensive, I'd just replace the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thanks all. Will replace with LED.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

seamus wrote: »
    Motion sensor is probably shorted, which turns it into a simple on/off light. As others say, the units aren't expensive, I'd just replace the whole thing.

+1

Go for a better make this time such as Stinel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    +1

Go for a better make this time such as Stinel.
    Steinel are very good but definitely not cheap!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Steinel are very good but definitely not cheap!

I'm very good and I'm not cheap either :)

You get what you pay for.

I'm certainly not disagreeing. Just asking that he be sitting down before checking the price!

I'm certainly not disagreeing. Just asking that he be sitting down before checking the price!

Buying quality in the first place can be far cheaper in the long run.

There are cheaper alternatives, such as Robus.
    They generally work well, but the last Robus light I installed lasted less than a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I am a fan of having a separate PIR unit and a separate light.

In my experience the PIR units built into the lights aren't the best, they false-trigger more etc.

That said, I had to replace a standalone PIR last week that failed so it was permanently on, just like the OP. It was a Robus unit.

I went to replace it with a Steinel. Yikes! I can buy four Robus PIRs for the cost of one Steinel. So Robus (again) it is :)

• Advertisement

deandean wrote: »
    Yikes! I can buy four Robus PIRs for the cost of one Steinel.

You get what you pay for. A high quality sensor light with a 5 year warranty tends to cost more.

The Stinel is far less likely to fail. I installed a 14W Stinel LED sensor light on the side of my house about 8 years ago, it is still working perfectly (which is what I have come to expect from this brand).
    That said, I had to replace a standalone PIR last week that failed so it was permanently on, just like the OP. It was a Robus unit.

You installed a cheaper Robus unit and it failed, which does not surprise me to be honest.
    In my experience the PIR units built into the lights aren't the best, they false-trigger more etc.

That is because you are using lower quality materials that are more prone to failure..
    So Robus (again) it is :)

:rolleyes:

I have installed a number of Steinel LED floods with integral PIR, and as said they are very good. Although I have found some others reliable too.

I think Steinel are fantastic, but I know that many customers would not be willing to pay for them (and I accept that this may be ill-advised on their part, but nonetheless it is a fact).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I'm very good and I'm not cheap either :)

I used to be but I'm too old now

Although I have found some others reliable too.

Yes, they are not the only quality sensor lights.
    I think Steinel are fantastic, but I know that many customers would not be willing to pay for them (and I accept that this may be ill-advised on their part, but nonetheless it is a fact).

+1

I would advise customers to get go with Stinel but would also offer to install light fittings supplied by the customer. Obviously I could not stand over light fittings that I did not supply.

Advertisement