Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Ok, so here's my predictions to qualify, revised from a couple of weeks ago:

In:
    Russia
    Armenia
    Iceland
    Malta
    Azerbaijan
    Netherlands
    Cyprus
    Hungary
    Czech republic
    Croatia

I'm pretty confident of the first seven. Azerbaijan were borderline before tonight but I think the backing singers really pulled Samra over the line. Hungary is a bit risky but they really impressed me tonight. The last two I'm not so confident of, but the Czech Republic should do very well with the juries, whilst I think Croatia will sneak over the line as well due to the juries, despite the fact I think it was a bit of a mess tonight.

Out:
    Finland
    Moldova
    Montenegro
    Austria
    Estonia
    San Marino
    Greece
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

I'm reasonably confident the first six won't get in. I also think Greece won't get in for the first time ever. I mean, surely not right? It's absolute horsesh*te. Bosnia is borderline, but whilst I think they'll get more of the Balkan vote than Croatia, Croatia will get more support from the juries to pull them over the line and help sink Bosnia. I really can't see any sensible juries voting for the Bosnian song... right?!
    Ah well only 9 out of ten. ;)
    Perfect ten next time? :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

McGregor with the Iceland entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Oh Marty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Malta is in. Hooray for Malta. Well done to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Surprised Iceland didn't get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Looks like sweden have cut the budget for the shows this year , a lot of it looks a bit jaded / cheapish, little original , could be a show from 5 years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No Iceland! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Bosnia and Estonia were so dire.

Not that fussed about Cyprus.

When's Nicky on? Did I miss him?

:pac:

• Advertisement

Would have swapped Iceland for Cyprus

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ye olde block voting

Gonna have to tweak my original predictions before it all kicks off tomorrow night.

For Semi-Final 1 I'm now gonna go for Czech Republic and Netherlands qualifying, instead of Azerbaijan and Hungary.
    Czech Republic will pick up jury votes where Azerbaijan will lose them; the quality of the vocals.
    And Hungary just doesn't have anything particularly memorable about it, whereas the Dutch song gets in your head (even if you don't like it).
    I would love to see Estonia and San Marino go through but I fear their entries won't have enough appeal.

7/10. Bah. :mad:
    I was wrong to take out Azerbaijan and Hungary; tbf Hungary did do well live and Azerbaijan wasn't as bad as I had been led to believe.
    Not overly shocked to see Greece and Bosnia-Herzegovina miss out, but am very shocked that Iceland are gone. On the flipside, I would never in a million years have predicted Austria to qualify.

I kinda knew San Marino wouldn't get through but it's still sad not to see that glorious bastard again. And even worse, the sexy Estonian Nazi is gone. :( I loved his voice and his creepy yet alluring eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Oops69 wrote: »
    jesus spain , HOW ARE THEY ALWAYS SO ****E AT EUROVISION?

Ruth Lorenzo wasn't:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

When's Nicky on? Did I miss him?

:pac:

No he was on. Got up off his stool and everything.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Eoin McDevitt dancing in an astronaut costume wasn't enough to get Moldova through :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lunger

I think Iceland was hard done by. Mind you, Sylvia Night didn't get through in 2006 to which I say BOO!

wil wrote: »
    Ah well only 9 out of ten. ;)
    Perfect ten next time? :)

Haha nope, in all my years I've never got 10/10 from the semi-finals, 9 is always as good as its got.

Obviously shocked Iceland didn't make it, but I did always think it was overrated anyway, and I think the similarities to Sweden last year are probably what cost it.

Absolutely delighted Bosnia and particularly Greece didn't make it, you can't send any old sh*te and just expect to get through every year. Thrilled for the Czech Republic too, hopefully it'll lead to more interest for the competition in the Czech Republic, and maybe encourage Slovakia to come back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Would have swapped Iceland for Cyprus

Exactly the same. We really sadly always vote on songs as we watch & my top 10 was almost the same except Iceland instead of Cyprus. Thought Malta was best & Armenia was next best.

Absolutely delighted Bosnia and particularly Greece didn't make it, you can't send any old sh*te and just expect to get through every year.

*cough* Royaume Uni *cough*

Ruth Lorenzo wasn't:

Ruth's a great singer but that song was a pile of shíte tbh!
    I'd like to see her do Eurovision again, she could easily get top five with the right tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭maude6868

No way in the world will Nicky Byrne qualify

maude6868 wrote: »
    No way in the world will Nicky Byrne qualify

I don;t think much of the song and can't see him getting through on anything other than his westlife membership but no idea how far that will get him with the eastern countries :confused:. It's always more fun to watch if we have an interest in it though so I'd like to see him in the final.

Haha nope, in all my years I've never got 10/10 from the semi-finals, 9 is always as good as its got.

Obviously shocked Iceland didn't make it, but I did always think it was overrated anyway, and I think the similarities to Sweden last year are probably what cost it.

Absolutely delighted Bosnia and particularly Greece didn't make it, you can't send any old sh*te and just expect to get through every year. Thrilled for the Czech Republic too, hopefully it'll lead to more interest for the competition in the Czech Republic, and maybe encourage Slovakia to come back :)

If Bosnia-Herzegovina had taken out the rap bit, I think it would have snuck through. Some parts of that song were quite nice; the cello is a very underused instrument on the Eurovision stage. The rap was what killed it for me.
    And I even warmed a little towards Greece tonight; yeah, the rapping was terrible and the English lyrics were dodgy, but the tune itself was quite pleasant and they staged it about as well as they could.

If I had the power, I'd send Azerbaijan, Austria and Russia home in place of Iceland, Estonia and San Marino (not that Russia was necessarily bad, just underwhelming). I actually don't think there were any outright car crash performances tonight; Finland probably had the dodgiest vocals while Moldova had the most questionable staging but there were no real trainwrecks.

I do agree with you on Czech Republic though, very nice to see them in the final. And Gabriela was one of the better singers on the night, even if the song itself is a little bland, so she deserves it. I'm one of the few people on earth who enjoyed the Czech entries in both 2007 and 2009 (albeit the latter in a strictly tongue-in-cheek way! :pac: ) so it's well overdue.
    And Slovakia should've qualified in both 2010 and 2012 imo, so it would be nice to see them back.

(It's times like this I realise I take Eurovision a lot more seriously than I like to think that I do. :o )

And Slovakia should've qualified in both 2010 and 2012 imo, so it would be nice to see them back.

(It's times like this I realise I take Eurovision a lot more seriously than I like to think that I do. :o )

I've never really been that keen on Slovakia's entries, but I really enjoyed their 2011 song and was disappointed when it didn't get through.

And of course you take Eurovision seriously, it's serious business! :D:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I cant understand everybody saying Iceland were robbed. I thought it was an awful song, glad it didnt get through

Meanwhile... TG4 are entering the Junior Eurovision again this year.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/junior-eurovision/

They were obviously happy with Aimee Banks' 12th-place finish in Sofia last year. And as one might expect, the song they will send to Valletta will, like "Réalta na Mara", be as Gaeilge.

Imagine if they won it, though. I wonder what the folks at Montrose would think? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

They were obviously happy with Aimee Banks' 12th-place finish in Sofia last year.

Imagine if they won it, though. I wonder what the folks at Montrose would think? :D
    While I think Aimee was underrated, I don't think TG4 or Aimee would be too pleased with being twelfth out of seventeen songs. Still, I think she did good!

I could imagine us hosting it, I'd be rather pleased with that.

Dare I say it, but it ain't looking good for Nicky...

http://eurovisionworld.com/?odds=eurovision-semi-final-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

In order of the bookie's current rankings for SF2 only ten to go through:

Ukraine: Jamala - 1944
    Slightly deranged, far from cheery lyrics. Unsure why this favourite, a quantum fabric entanglement error perhaps, caused by Cern.

Australia: Dami Im - Sound of Silence
    Hottie poppie!

Serbia Sanja Vučič - Goodbye (Shelter)
    Less deranged than UKR, this lady actually read my tea leaves in a caravan once.

Belgium Laura Tesoro - What's the Pressure
    Good fun tune but several copyright infringement lawsuits are now pending, inc. impersonating KatyB

Latvia Justs - Heartbeat
    Electronica, done well. There might even be a ring modulator effect in there somewhere (your Casio keyboard can't do this stuff).

Bulgaria Poli Genova - If Love Was a Crime
    Like this tune, you’ll be singing “О, Day mi lyubovta, Day mi lyubovta” all week, and next also.

Israel Hovi Star - Made of Stars
    Very eurovision, tad boring piano intro, but nice drum kit rolls at 2:20 no doubt they'll get some votes.

Poland Michał Szpak - Color of Your Life
    very eurovision ballad-ish again, some controversy in Polska, as Margaret had a much better tune there.

Lithuania Donny Montell - I've Been Waiting…
    Justin Bieber-ish with very noisy overselling, pass.

Norway Agnete - Icebreaker
    This icebreaker lacks musical buoyancy, votes may be correlated directly to her outfit choice on the night.

Georgia Nika Kocharov And… - Midnight Gold
    Rock yeah! Blur’s cover band entered the wrong contest.

FYR Macedonia Kaliopi - Dona
    Zzzzzz.

Denmark Lighthouse X - Soldiers of Love
    Unfortunately it's catchy like a bad rash, from Denmark’s Boyzone.

Ireland Nicky Byrne - Sunlight
    Has potential to do well, but will depend largely on staging and audience interaction. They've kindly spelt out all the lyrics in the video help to persuade the euro-lingual.

Belarus Ivan - Help You Fly
    No idea what’s going on here, something about his pet wolf’s unpaid veterinary bills I guess.

Slovenia ManuElla - Blue and Red
    Very awkward musical composition, the trio would do well in a lovely legs competition, but that's not on 'till next week.

Albania Eneda Tarifa - Fairytale
    Unpredictable as this may just be saved by the Bloc. Hopefully a miss.

Switzerland Rykka - The Last of Our Kind
    Maybe next year folks, available now at 500/1 for anyone with cash to burn.

• Advertisement

dogcat wrote: »
    While I think Aimee was underrated, I don't think TG4 or Aimee would be too pleased with being twelfth out of seventeen songs. Still, I think she did good!

Well, I wouldn't say they seriously expected to win. After all, Malta and Armenia were streets ahead of everyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Claire_72

I hope nicky can do us proud tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2 6dia6hal6

Visited Mr. Power this morning, have gone for:

Russia win @ 6/5

Armenia e/w win @ 14/1 (4 places paid 1/4 odds)

Hungary top ten finish @11/4

Claire_72 wrote: »
    I hope nicky can do us proud tonight

It'd be nice if he could make it but it ain't happening. The song doesn't deserve it imo.

It'd be nice if he could make it but it ain't happening. The song doesn't deserve it imo.

Yeah, same. As cool as it would be to see Ireland back in the final, I wouldn't want to see it qualify over a more deserving entry.

This is my (potentially hopelessly wrong) prediction for how it will go out tonight:

1. Ukraine
    2. Australia
    3. Bulgaria
    4. Latvia
    5. Belgium
    6. Israel
    7. Serbia
    8. Norway
    9. Belarus
    10. Poland
    11. Macedonia
    12. Georgia
    13. Ireland
    14. Lithuania
    15. Switzerland
    16. Denmark
    17. Albania
    18. Slovenia

Though if I was to pick the ten most deserving (imo) entries, I'd put Macedonia and Georgia through instead of Israel and Serbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I am getting nervous and I don't know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

T-10mins notifier.

Get practicing your: “♪ О, Day mi ♬ lyubovta, ♩ Day ♫ mi ♬ lyubovta”
    - it might come in handy when out on the lash on Sunny Beach, Black Sea.

Good enough idea for NB to hand out 400 souvenir silver pins to all the folks taking part, sure won't do any harm.

T-10mins notifier.

Get practicing your: “♪ О, Day mi ♬ lyubovta, ♩ Day ♫ mi ♬ lyubovta”
    - it might come in handy when out on the lash on Sunny Beach, Black Sea.

Good enough idea for NB to hand out 400 souvenir silver pins to all the folks taking part, sure won't do any harm.

I'll be in Sveti Vlas next month. I'm going to hear nothing but if love was a crime and only one the entire time :o

• Advertisement

Bonsoir :)

Ireland are on 7th. tonight, after Serbia.

...And

Here

We

Go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Come on Ireland... Really not really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Much better songs on this one tonight. :cool:

(And Ireland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Feck sake modern Ireland, knacks on horses

Got a new bathroom mirror fitted.

SHOWTIME

• Advertisement

Ah I see Mans has gone for a more casual look.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Feck sake modern Ireland, knacks on horses

Alan Partridge: I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrocks, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives in this country, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Beamish. I think people are saying yes, there's more to Ireland than this. A good slogan for the tourist board -Der's more to Oireland...dan dis.

The best description I've ever heard about the ESC is "The Eurovision is what you get when black people don't happen to music".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This could an Italia 90 type of night or a south korea/japan 2002.

Too tired to dive behind the couch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement