Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Comments

Running order:

Semi-Final 1
    1) Finland
    2) Greece
    3) Moldova
    4) Hungary
    5) Croatia
    6) The Netherlands
    7) Armenia
    8) San Marino
    9) Russia
    10) Czech Republic
    11) Cyprus
    12) Austria
    13) Estonia
    14) Azerbaijan
    15) Montenegro
    16) Iceland
    17) Bosnia & Herzegovina
    18) Malta

Semi-Final 2:
    1) Latvia
    2) Poland
    3) Switzerland
    4) Israel
    5) Belarus
    6) Serbia
    7) Ireland
    8) FYR Macedonia
    9) Lithuania
    10) Australia
    11) Slovenia
    12) Romania
    13) Bulgaria
    14) Denmark
    15) Ukraine
    16) Norway
    17) Georgia
    18) Albania
    19) Belgium

So not a terrible draw for Ireland. Still can't change the fact that the song is sh*te though.

It's prediction time then!

SF1: Greece, Hungary, Croatia, Armenia, Russia, Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Iceland, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Malta.

This is definitely the tougher of the two semis to predict. Russia are dead certs, and I would be very surprised if Armenia and Malta didn't qualify. But I wouldn't take anyone else for granted, and we may very well see a shock non-qualifier.

Part of me suspects Greece may fail to qualify for the first time ever (the Bosnian entry is quite similar but a little classier, so may take points from it) but the diaspora will probably push it through. I also have my doubts about Hungary, as it's not a particularly memorable song, but am going on the basis of their general good record over the past few years.

If any of the above fail to qualify, then The Netherlands, Estonia and Czech Republic are all in with a decent chance. Would be very surprised if any of the others made it through (though it would be rather fantastic if San Marino managed it somehow! :D )

SF2: Latvia, Poland, Serbia, Ireland, Australia, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Norway, Belgium

Australia and Ukraine are safe as houses.
    Latvia, Bulgaria and Norway should also be comfortable enough.
    Serbia will be fine IF she manages to tone down the performance; I could see her turning off a lot of potential voters if she keeps up the amateur dramatics.
    Romania's entry is strange but they, like Greece, always manage to get through.
    Poland will probably be ok, on the strength of the singer rather than the song.
    Belgium will benefit by going last, and I think this entry is being somewhat underrated.

Which leaves one slot left. I admit I'm being optimistic in giving it to Ireland but I'm hoping Nicky Byrne's name (if not his performance) will be enough to engage the inexplicably large fanbase Westlife have/had!

Of the other entries, Lithuania is the most similar to Ireland and may be the one to keep us out. I also wouldn't be surprised if either Macedonia or Israel made it through; like with Poland, it would be more a case of strong vocal rather than a strong song.

As for the rest:
    Belarus is fun but too reliant on the "camp OTT performance" vote, much of which will probably go to Romania.
    Switzerland is an ok-ish song but the live performance needs a major overhaul to have any hope.
    I'm fond of Georgia but it's a bit inaccessible for a Eurovision entry; can't imagine it having enough appeal.
    Albania is forgettable and badly translated - not gonna make it through.
    And the less said about Slovenia, the better!

I know some people did this last year, so thought I'd throw up the link again:
    http://esc.gerbear.com/sorter2016.htm

Sorts your favourite entries in order by giving you two options each round and asking which you prefer.
    Already my ranking has changed somewhat since I last posted, and would probs change again if I kept doing it!!

Rank Entry
    1 Armenia
    Iveta Mukuchyan
    LoveWave
    2 Bulgaria
    Poli Genova
    If Love Was A Crime
    3 Georgia
    Nika Kocharov &
    Young Georgian Lolitaz
    Midnight Gold
    4 Croatia
    Nina Kraljić
    Lighthouse
    5 Latvia
    Justs
    Heartbeat
    6 Estonia
    Jüri Pootsmann
    Play
    7 Belgium
    Laura Tesoro
    What's the Pressure
    8 Iceland
    Greta Salóme
    Hear Them Calling
    9 Norway
    Agnete
    Icebreaker
    10 Ukraine
    Jamala
    11 Australia
    Dami Im
    Sound of Silence
    12 Belarus
    Ivan
    Help You Fly
    13 Montenegro
    Highway
    The Real Thing
    14 San Marino
    Serhat
    I Didn't Know
    15 Italy
    Francesca Michielin
    No Degree of Separation
    16 Cyprus
    Minus One
    Alter Ego
    17 Poland
    Michał Szpak
    Color of Your Life
    18 France
    Amir
    J'ai cherché
    19 Czech Republic
    Gabriela Gunčíková
    I Stand
    20 FYR Macedonia
    Kaliopi
    Dona
    21 Sweden
    Frans
    If I Were Sorry
    22 Malta
    Ira Losco
    Walk on Water
    23 Switzerland
    Rykka
    The Last of Our Kind
    24 Netherlands
    Douwe Bob
    Slow Down
    25 Hungary
    Freddie
    Pioneer
    26 Russia
    Sergey Lazarev
    You Are the Only One
    27 United Kingdom
    Joe & Jake
    You're Not Alone
    28 Serbia
    ZAA Sanja Vučić
    Goodbye (Shelter)
    29 Azerbaijan
    Samra
    Miracle
    30 Germany
    Jamie-Lee Kriewitz
    Ghost
    31 Lithuania
    Donny Montell
    I've Been Waiting for This Night
    32 Ireland
    NIcky Byrne
    Sunlight
    33 Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Dalal & Deen
    feat. Ana Rucner and Jala
    Ljubav je
    34 Greece
    Argo
    Utopian Land
    35 Albania
    Eneda Tarifa
    Fairytale Love
    36 Finland
    Sandhja
    Sing It Away
    37 Moldova
    Lidia Isac
    Falling Stars
    38 Romania
    Ovidiu Anton
    Moment of Silence
    39 Austria
    Zoë
    Loin d'ici
    40 Israel
    Hovi Star
    Made of Stars
    41 Denmark
    Lighthouse X
    Soldiers of Love
    42 Slovenia
    ManuElla
    Blue and Red
    43 Spain
    Barei
    Say Yay!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thanks for posting that. Mine came out pretty much bang on I'd say, particularly the top three. I haven't been able to give this thread as much attention as I'd like recently, too busy. I'll post my qualification predictions soon. But for now here's my top 43!

1 Bulgaria
    Poli Genova
    If Love Was A Crime
    2 France
    Amir
    J'ai cherché
    3 Germany
    Jamie-Lee Kriewitz
    Ghost
    4 Malta
    Ira Losco
    Walk on Water
    5 Iceland
    Greta Salóme
    Hear Them Calling
    6 Russia
    Sergey Lazarev
    You Are the Only One
    7 Norway
    Agnete
    Icebreaker
    8 Netherlands
    Douwe Bob
    Slow Down
    9 Azerbaijan
    Samra
    Miracle
    10 Austria
    Zoë
    Loin d'ici
    11 Australia
    Dami Im
    Sound of Silence
    12 Latvia
    Justs
    Heartbeat
    13 Israel
    Hovi Star
    Made of Stars
    14 Cyprus
    Minus One
    Alter Ego
    15 Switzerland
    Rykka
    The Last of Our Kind
    16 Croatia
    Nina Kraljić
    Lighthouse
    17 Sweden
    Frans
    If I Were Sorry
    18 Serbia
    ZAA Sanja Vučić
    Goodbye (Shelter)
    19 Ukraine
    Jamala
    20 Czech Republic
    Gabriela Gunčíková
    I Stand
    21 Spain
    Barei
    Say Yay!
    22 Ireland
    NIcky Byrne
    Sunlight
    23 United Kingdom
    Joe & Jake
    You're Not Alone
    24 Belgium
    Laura Tesoro
    What's the Pressure
    25 Belarus
    Ivan
    Help You Fly
    26 Italy
    Francesca Michielin
    No Degree of Separation
    27 Hungary
    Freddie
    Pioneer
    28 Estonia
    Jüri Pootsmann
    Play
    29 Poland
    Michał Szpak
    Color of Your Life
    30 Armenia
    Iveta Mukuchyan
    LoveWave
    31 Slovenia
    ManuElla
    Blue and Red
    32 Moldova
    Lidia Isac
    Falling Stars
    33 Finland
    Sandhja
    Sing It Away
    34 Lithuania
    Donny Montell
    I've Been Waiting for This Night
    35 Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Dalal & Deen
    feat. Ana Rucner and Jala
    Ljubav je
    36 Georgia
    Nika Kocharov &
    Young Georgian Lolitaz
    Midnight Gold
    37 Denmark
    Lighthouse X
    Soldiers of Love
    38 Albania
    Eneda Tarifa
    Fairytale Love
    39 FYR Macedonia
    Kaliopi
    Dona
    40 Greece
    Argo
    Utopian Land
    41 Romania
    Ovidiu Anton
    Moment of Silence
    42 Montenegro
    Highway
    The Real Thing
    43 San Marino
    Serhat
    I Didn't Know

Good news for Ireland, I guess. One less competitor in the semi-final. And though they never had a chance of winning, their previous record suggests they would have qualified.

Still, I feel bad for the performers. :( And for all Romanian Eurovision fans.

• Advertisement

In one sense I understand it, these unpaid bills are backdated to 2007. But on the other hand, was it really necessary to pull the plug on them when they already had the performer picked, and we're two-and-a-half weeks until it gets started? They could just as easily have announced that they weren't going to be allowed compete next year, or they could have banned them this year before they had picked the act. Oh well, it was a terrible song anyway.

France's odds are now as low as 5/2. Impressive, but I still can't see it doing anywhere near this well.

In one sense I understand it, these unpaid bills are backdated to 2007. But on the other hand, was it really necessary to pull the plug on them when they already had the performer picked, and we're two-and-a-half weeks until it gets started? They could just as easily have announced that they weren't going to be allowed compete next year, or they could have banned them this year before they had picked the act. Oh well, it was a terrible song anyway.

France's odds are now as low as 5/2. Impressive, but I still can't see it doing anywhere near this well.

Yeah, I agree that it's been handled very badly. Obviously TVR need to pay their debts but it's very unfair on the performers to have gone through the competition, put work into rehearsals and presentation, do promo work etc. only to be kicked out with only a few weeks left to go. Yeah, it was a pretty terrible song but a lot of people still worked very hard on it. EBU should have just let it slide this year and then suspended their participation from next year on.

As for France, I'm starting to think it actually has a chance. I didn't like it at all when I first heard it but it's grown on me quite a bit and is now probably my second favourite of the "Big Five", behind Italy (which isn't gonna hit top 5, at best it might come 9th or 10th).

Sweden has also grown on me a lot more than I thought it would. Still haven't warmed to Frans as a performer but if that song was in the charts (with someone like Troye Sivan performing it) I'd probably love it.

The other big grower for me has been Estonia. Initially I was prejudiced against it because they didn't pick Mick Pedaja (which I still think is a wonderful song and absolutely would have loved to have seen at ESC) but "Play" has probably worked its way into my top 5 at this stage. It won't win, and may not even qualify, but I've gone from being indifferent to it to really hoping it makes the final.

Meant to post my predictions much, much sooner.

Anyway, here's what I make of Semi-Final 1:

To qualify:
    Netherlands
    Armenia
    Russia
    Iceland
    Malta
    Azerbaijan
    Cyprus
    Hungary
    Croatia
    Austria

The Netherlands is a very risky one but I think it may come alive on stage a lá The Common Linnets in 2014. Not to the same extent, but I think viewers and juries may appreciate how it's different to most of the other entries. Austria also a very risky pick as it's very twee, but I picked it based purely on what seems to be a mostly very positive reaction from fans. Hungary is a bit risky too but they've been doing well recently. Croatia also may not make it, but I think they'll just do enough to sneak in. It's actually quite amazing the extent to which Croatia's odds have tumbled.

Missing out:
    Finland
    San Marino
    Montenegro
    Moldova
    Greece
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Estonia
    Czech Republic

I've picked Greece to miss the final for the first time ever. Surely they have to some time right? Surely they can't get through to the final with this sh*te? B-H is also a risky pick, but I think it's only doing to appeal to appeal to Balkan countries/diaspora's, of which it only has Croatia, Montenegro and Austria to rely on. They will still more than likely get three 8/10/12's from these three countries, but I reckon for the first time ever it won't be enough. Estonia may get jury love but I can't see the public going for it. I'd love Czech Republic to make it but I don't think the song is strong enough.

I'll post what I make of Semi-Final 2 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Bulgaria for me looks every inch a winner. Germany at 125-1 in some places would be my each way tip. Russia cannot be discounted though and I wonder how Latvia will do. Staging becoming the real factor now in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Bulgaria for me looks every inch a winner...

Indeed have been tracking Bulgaria for a while now over on the other thread (focusing more on numerials & ROI), they even appeared up at 3rd fav position for a short while with the markets, just two days ago:

Screen_Shot_2016_04_30_at_20_40_26.png

think the French one is terrible, Top5 prediction is:

1. Malta
    2. Ireland
    3. Russia
    4. Latvia
    5. Bulgaria

Wildcard's are Czech & Ire, both are/were considered rank outsiders. Germany isn't bad.

• Advertisement

think the French one is terrible, Top5 prediction is:

1. Malta
    2. Ireland
    3. Russia
    4. Latvia
    5. Bulgaria

:eek: Not a hope will Ireland finish in second place! It will be lucky to even qualify.
    Did you mean Iceland, by any chance?

Think Ire, certainly can make top 10, 5 or even 3. The challenge will be influencing the Balkan/Eastern voting blocks.
    It's specifically crafted along with the video for this environment, it serves no other purpose than this event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Well, if you bet on it, you'll be losing money.

Well a few cent at the most, it's being used an e/w 'wildcard' (150/1) selection for the the tail ends of multi-line accumulator arrays.
    My approach is always very low-risk for very high reward via e/w accumulators.

Although it's very subjective, general consensus is that Latvia, Bulgaria, Malta will all do well.

There are a few that stink yet that are strangely doing well e.g. Ukraine, Netherlands etc.

Ireland's production has a few clever tricks up it's sleeve that aren't obvious to the untrained eye,
    but agree will be either hit or miss with the euro-voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 RealiTea

Every year I say I won't watch and every year I get sucked in again... Love Eurovision

I admire your optimism Accumulator, but there's more chance of the Islamic State being invited to Eurovision as a wildcard entrant than there is of Ireland finishing 2nd :pac:

Anyway, heres my Semi-Final 2 prediction:

To qualify:
    Latvia
    Serbia
    Australia
    Bulgaria
    Ukraine
    Norway
    Poland
    Belgium
    Lithuania
    Israel

The first six on the list should all qualify with relative ease, it gets tricky after that. Poland should be ok, and as already mentioned the late draw will help Belgium. After that it could be anyone. Lithuania isn't great, but it's marginally better than some of the others. I actually think Israel is quite decent and if it were based on song quality alone I think they'd be through easily, but a lot of people are (quite rightly) reluctant to support Israel. All in all I'll gamble and say that the juries will sneak them through, but it's a guess more than anything.

Missing out:
    Georgia
    Slovenia
    Belarus
    Macedonia
    Albania
    Switzerland
    Ireland
    Denmark

I'm pretty confident that Georgia, Slovenia, Belarus and Macedonia are no hopers. I wouldn't be surprised if either Denmark or Ireland sneak through, but for now I'm saying they won't. I think Switzerland actually has the potential to be incredible, but if she sounded hopeless during the Swiss national final then it doesn't really inspire confidence for Eurovision. Albania is just.. there, and it doesn't have many allies to vote for it either.

So there are my predictions for now, I may revisit them upon seeing the rehearsals and perhaps again on the night.

I'm pretty confident that Georgia, Slovenia, Belarus and Macedonia are no hopers.

Hmm, Belarus might take the (not-insignificant) "vote for the campest/most gimmicky entry" now that Romania has been kicked out. Even if he isn't allowed go naked with wolves! It's actually quite a likeable entry imo, reminds one of the naffer, cheesier Eurovision of ten years ago. :P

Georgia is a curveball but I can see them possibly doing a crazy, mad, energetic light show that could win some people over. And while Macedonia's song is pretty average, she's an excellent vocalist and her singing alone should pick up some jury love.

Totally agree with Slovenia being a no hoper though. Can't think of anything redeeming to say about it, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My predictions to qualify:

Semi-Final 1:

Qualifiers
    Finland
    Greece
    Moldova
    Hungary
    Croatia
    Armenia
    Russia
    Azerbaijan
    Iceland
    Malta

Eliminated
    The Netherlands
    San Marino
    Czech Republic
    Cyprus
    Austria
    Estonia
    Montenegro
    Bosnia-Herzegovina

Semi-Final 2

Qualifiers
    Latvia
    Switzerland
    Serbia
    Lithuania
    Australia
    Slovenia
    Bulgaria
    Denmark
    Norway
    Belgium

Eliminated
    Poland
    Israel
    Belarus
    Ireland
    Macedonia
    Ukraine
    Georgia
    Albania

I'll post up my overall top 5 predictions eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I hear Bertie's goin to support Nicky, will he be in disguise, so's not to take attention away from Nicky ;)

Btw: did i hear Romania got the boot for not paying a bill?

I hear Bertie's goin to support Nicky, will he be in disguise, so's not to take attention away from Nicky ;)

Btw: did i hear Romania got the boot for not paying a bill?

Yes
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99478941&postcount=155

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Anyone who gives Ireland a chance of winning let alone qualifying is not thinking rationally. The fact RTE are now simply picking a song and sending it isn't good enough. Unless someone is going to pony up and sponsor a National Song Contest, we should not enter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Anyone who gives Ireland a chance of winning let alone qualifying is not thinking rationally. The fact RTE are now simply picking a song and sending it isn't good enough. Unless someone is going to pony up and sponsor a National Song Contest, we should not enter.

Pulling out of Eurovision is too easy an option, don't you think? ;);)

Meanwhile, the final will be shown live in the US for the first time - albeit on an LGBT cable network.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36191143

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

He had an aptly named song :P
    This means that as of now, Ovidiu Anton cannot compete in Stockholm with his song “Moment of Silence”.

Poland may have sabotaged their entry with a dreary number from Michal Szpak.

The more cheerful Margaret could have taken the prize and should really have gotten the gig. Then again perhaps it was re-tailored to a target audience segment.

The semi-finals winners could well be Bulgaria (12th, ideal) & Malta (last on, good placement), but each are only 3rd favs in their respective groups.

Anyway roll on the Mercury Prize (Nov '16), so we can all get back to proper tuneage 'The Savages' may well win that.

Anyone following rehearsals? No major shake ups, except Ukraine have moved to third favourite and Bulgaria have fallen away :( Staging not great unfortunately. The general consensus is now that Ireland definitely won't qualify, which I'm fine with. Not looking forward to all the usual 'what went wrong' crap which will blame everything except for the terrible song, and with RTE making lots of promises which they have no intention of acting upon.

Bulgaria still holding strong, price starting to re-stabilise, and a decent performance from the jolly upbeat lady. will qualify easily.

Ukraine for me is a curiosity, far from being a cheery number unlike most others, it has slightly political overtones, and dare I say - she even appears a tad 'deranged' on stage. This all upon a backing track made on a single Casio CT-470 keyboard. Herbal tea recommended.

Agree Ire's rehearsal was very poor, a lifeless backing band, only a few torches to light it up along with heaps of reverb-feedback. It even looked like he had his hand in his pockets at one stage, someone get them all a few redbulls & vodka before clambering up there again, and all will be well. Considering they've hired a behind the scenes stage & production team, someone needs to get out the pen & paper pronto.

On the plus side, does offer extra value to backers of both Bulg & Ire.
    Estimated positions for SF-2 below, wouldn't agree with all most of these numbers all the same.

numerials6may.png

sstxfi8ox

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

It's going to be tough for Ireland to qualify. I would have expected RTE to go all out on the staging, which is something they have failed on miserably in recent years, I though Nicky would have left nothing to chance. Might not be the start to his solo career he was hoping for.

My favourite is Italy. I have listened to it a good few times, I really like the verse in English, I expect it do well but a victory could be a big ask. Others I like are Australia, Bulgaria (really hope they qualify), Cyprus(will they qualify), Hungary, Israel, Latvia, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Russia & Ukraine. Again I'm think the Big 5 have made a good effort, how well they will all do is another thing. There's not many songs I dislike, the problem is that there is very few standout songs. I think a lot of songs, with a good performance and staging, could be in the running for a Top 5 on Saturday night.

My guilty pleasure is San Marino. It hasn't a hope in hell of making the final but I would love to see it there. Loving the disco version. I hope Macedonia make the final, I really like this girls voice but this years song is not as good as her previous entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rydVezxCoW8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I am loving Israel, Iceland, Spain and Croatia

France's first rehearsal wasn't great apparently, they've drifted slightly in the odds. Still lots of time to improve obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

So Rte won't give much of a budget for staging, pretty much expected.

But for crying out loud would they at least put the lights up? The song is called Sunlight, not a night in Coppers.

at least put the lights up? The song is called Sunlight, not a night in Coppers.

Agreed, a piss poor practice. Guessing they spent all the cash on the video, and a few nights out on the lash up there in Abbaland.

Wouldn't mind, but the medija was saying last month they hired a few heads including T.Byrne, former Creative Director of Simon Cowell’s company 'Syco Music' (xfactor/bgt) purposely for this live event guidance.

Get the finger out chaps, it's not some grungy pub gig at the local, covering JC Mellencamp's tunes.

The only hope now is if he bends over at the very end and they can get the 'actual sunlight to appear out from his a$$'. Either that, or they're holding back on a proper showcase, which still remains to be seen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

So Rte won't give much of a budget for staging, pretty much expected.

But for crying out loud would they at least put the lights up? The song is called Sunlight, not a night in Coppers.

This is really bad form from them. The guy is signed to Universal, an RTE employee and has been internally selected by the channel and yet it looks like they've spent about fifty quid on the staging.

The signs are definitely ominous. All I can see is negativity surrounding the entry from fans and bloggers, many dislikes and critical comments on Youtube, nothing in its favour really.

SF2 (2nd rehearsal) - they managed to get a few more lights turned on and a disco ball, but still a very static, dry performance.
    The bpm rate seems also to have dropped down a few notches.

He really needs to get away from that mic stand, perhaps an emulated dash around the front of the stage handing out yellow led lit helium orbs of metaphorical sunlight to the young wans. Failing that, a trip down to Ikea in the van to get a €99 1kw floodlight and do a Rattle and Hum album cover recreation, ideally get out on a zip line too. a06.gif

Bulgaria still rocking their gig: synchronised cheorography, lights and energy. take note.

SF2 (2nd rehearsal) - they managed to get a few more lights turned on and a disco ball, but still a very static, dry performance.

He really needs to get away from that mic stand, perhaps an emulated dash around the front of the stage handing out yellow led lit helium orbs of metaphorical sunlight to the young wans. Failing that, a trip down to Ikea in the van to get a €99 1kw floodlight and do a Rattle and Hum album cover recreation, ideally get out on a zip line too. a06.gif

Bulgaria still rocking their gig: synchronised cheorography, lights and energy. take note.

It is possible that the performance might work better with a big arena audience. A lot of the acts are very choreography and stage centred but something like Sunlight might just come to life with a big crowd to bounce off.

I think the Ireland song was always going to be awful. It's just a poor song.

As I can't stand Nicky Byrne I won't be too distraught when it flops.

• Advertisement

Really? The general consensus is pretty negative, she's fallen way down the odds. Many believe this is turning into a Russia-Ukraine battle for the title now. I think Latvia are capable of pulling off a surprise though.

Failing that, a trip down to Ikea in the van to get a €99 1kw floodlight and do a Rattle and Hum album cover recreation, ideally get out on a zip line too.

And the nearest Ikea shouldn't be too far from the Ericsson Globe... :D;);)

Many believe this is turning into a Russia-Ukraine battle for the title now. I think Latvia are capable of pulling off a surprise though.

Ooh, a battle for the Eurovision in addition to a battle for control of the Crimea... :o:o:o;)

Could it be argued that it is time an Eastern European country won again? The last one to do so was Azerbaijan in 2011, and the last one before that was Russia in 2008.

Of course, Alexander Rybak could have chosen to represent his native Belarus in 2009 but didn't, and no doubt many still feel that Polina was robbed last year... :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Are we on tomorrow night or on Thursday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Are we on tomorrow night or on Thursday?

Thursday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

That well known Swedish singer Justin Timberlake to perform at the interval on Saturday!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36246778

Rocks ze body bork bork bork

• Advertisement

It's prediction time then!

SF1: Greece, Hungary, Croatia, Armenia, Russia, Cyprus, Azerbaijan, Iceland, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Malta.

SF2: Latvia, Poland, Serbia, Ireland, Australia, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Norway, Belgium

!

Gonna have to tweak my original predictions before it all kicks off tomorrow night.

For Semi-Final 1 I'm now gonna go for Czech Republic and Netherlands qualifying, instead of Azerbaijan and Hungary.
    Czech Republic will pick up jury votes where Azerbaijan will lose them; the quality of the vocals.
    And Hungary just doesn't have anything particularly memorable about it, whereas the Dutch song gets in your head (even if you don't like it).
    I would love to see Estonia and San Marino go through but I fear their entries won't have enough appeal.

For Semi-Final 2 I'm gonna stick my neck out and predict that Belarus will get through; I think Romania's loss is going to be their gain.
    The final place could literally go to any of the remaining countries (except Slovenia, because obvious reasons) but sadly I am now more pessimistic about Ireland's chances. :( My head says it will be Israel who go through; even though I think it's one of the worst songs this year, it seems to be going down well. Though if it's not gonna be Ireland, I would love to see Georgia go through. :cool:
    Really? The general consensus is pretty negative, she's fallen way down the odds. Many believe this is turning into a Russia-Ukraine battle for the title now. I think Latvia are capable of pulling off a surprise though.

It is looking more and more like its Russia's to lose right now. I don't think it deserves it tbh (I like the verses, and the staging, but the chorus leaves me cold) but at least it's better than the crap they somehow won with in 2008!
    I think Armenia may be one to watch for a "surprise" win. But we shall see....

If I was to guess right now what the top ten will be on Saturday night, I'd go for the following:

1. Russia
    2. Armenia
    3. Sweden
    4. Ukraine
    5. Australia
    6. France
    7. Malta
    8. Bulgaria
    9. Iceland
    10. Italy (or Latvia. Or Serbia. Fúck it, I dunno!)

And I suspect Germany may suffer the indignity of winning the wooden spoon for a second year in a row (though I doubt there'll be any nul pointer in the final).

I look forward to revisiting this on Sunday to see how hilariously wrong my predictions were! :pac:

I'm thinking this might be France's year. It's the kind of song that should score well assuming the performance is up to scratch. It's currently the third favourite.

I don't like Russia's entry. The staging is creative and I'm sure it will do well because of its neighbours voting for it but I'll be surprised if it wins on the night.

I expect Malta to be in the mix and also Australia.

As far as dark horse bets go, I'm tempted to stick a quid on Latvia (50-1) and Denmark (150-1).

I think Latvia have a good tune here which stands out from the rest while Denmark's song is upbeat and should get a strong reaction from their Scandinavian neighbours on the night. I expect the odds to get shorter for both.

My current feeling (subject to change) is:

1. France
    2. Russia
    3. Malta
    4. Australia
    5. Latvia

And the nearest Ikea shouldn't be too far from the Ericsson Globe... :D;);)

Ooh, a battle for the Eurovision in addition to a battle for control of the Crimea... :o:o:o;)

Could it be argued that it is time an Eastern European country won again? The last one to do so was Azerbaijan in 2011, and the last one before that was Russia in 2008.

Of course, Alexander Rybak could have chosen to represent his native Belarus in 2009 but didn't, and no doubt many still feel that Polina was robbed last year... :D;)

Including me! :pac:
    Gonna have to tweak my original predictions before it all kicks off tomorrow night.

For Semi-Final 1 I'm now gonna go for Czech Republic and Netherlands qualifying, instead of Azerbaijan and Hungary.
    Czech Republic will pick up jury votes where Azerbaijan will lose them; the quality of the vocals.
    And Hungary just doesn't have anything particularly memorable about it, whereas the Dutch song gets in your head (even if you don't like it).
    I would love to see Estonia and San Marino go through but I fear their entries won't have enough appeal.

For Semi-Final 2 I'm gonna stick my neck out and predict that Belarus will get through; I think Romania's loss is going to be their gain.
    The final place could literally go to any of the remaining countries (except Slovenia, because obvious reasons) but sadly I am now more pessimistic about Ireland's chances. :( My head says it will be Israel who go through; even though I think it's one of the worst songs this year, it seems to be going down well. Though if it's not gonna be Ireland, I would love to see Georgia go through. :cool:

It is looking more and more like its Russia's to lose right now. I don't think it deserves it tbh (I like the verses, and the staging, but the chorus leaves me cold) but at least it's better than the crap they somehow won with in 2008!
    I think Armenia may be one to watch for a "surprise" win. But we shall see....

If I was to guess right now what the top ten will be on Saturday night, I'd go for the following:

1. Russia
    2. Armenia
    3. Sweden
    4. Ukraine
    5. Australia
    6. France
    7. Malta
    8. Bulgaria
    9. Iceland
    10. Italy (or Latvia. Or Serbia. Fúck it, I dunno!)

And I suspect Germany may suffer the indignity of winning the wooden spoon for a second year in a row (though I doubt there'll be any nul pointer in the final).

I look forward to revisiting this on Sunday to see how hilariously wrong my predictions were! :pac:

I'll hold off revising mine until I actually see them being performed tomorrow, so far I've primarily been going on what I've read. I try not to watch the rehearsals before hand, I want to keep some element of surprise for the final.

I'd love the Czech Republic to get through, they totally deserve it, but it's difficult to know with their poor record in the contest. Then again they've rarely sent a song worthy of qualification, so maybe this is finally the year. I swear if they don't make it and Greece do... :(

Yes I too am veering towards a Russia win. Their biggest rivals seem to have fallen away in rehearsals, although you never know how things go on the night. Ukraine are gaining on them but there's now way it's going to get enough televotes to actually win. Plus the new voting system restores a lot of the previous power that the bloc/diaspora voting had, and this obviously plays into Russia's hands. So right now I think Russia will be the winner by default, although as I've previously said you never know how it can work out on the night. Even at this point two years ago we had no idea Austria could win and that The Netherlands could come second.

Thanks for the reminder of Russia winning in 2008 btw, them beating Ani Lorak to the title must surely rank among Eurovision's greatest ever injustices?

France are on the iTunes Ireland chart and we're not even into Eurovision proper yet. They're definitely going to get good points from us.

I'm thinking this might be France's year. It's the kind of song that should score well assuming the performance is up to scratch. It's currently the third favourite.

It probably helps that the chorus is in English - and that there doesn't seem to be much outcry in France over this.

Lest we forget, there was war when Sébastien Tellier's "Divine" was selected in '08:

I still think Amaury Vassili's "Sognu" should have done better than 15th in '11, though. It may not have had any English lyrics - but how often do you hear operatic pop in Corsican?

Thanks for the reminder of Russia winning in 2008 btw, them beating Ani Lorak to the title must surely rank among Eurovision's greatest ever injustices?

I feel I should mention Sirusho and "Qele Qele" again.

I don't think it can be denied that her ranking was boosted by the huge number of Armenian expatriates in continental Europe. But to pick up eight 12s, more than anyone else, and get nothing from no less than 15 countries is still quite remarkable - and probably not very likely to be repeated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Anyone else watching SF1 tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yep, have my snacks and alcohol ready. Trying to decide between RTE and BBC. BBC I think. I've managed to avoid hearing most of the songs so it will all be new to me.

The 1st semi-final starts in 10mins 8pm (RTÉ2 & BBC Four).
    SF1 has 18 acts, 10 places 2.5hrs total circa.

The 2nd semi-final is on Thursday May 12 at the same time. The final 26 will be 3.5 hours.

Running order, across circa 2.5hrs:

1. Sandhja (FINLAND)
    2. Argo (GREECE)
    3. Lidia Isac (MOLDOVA)
    4. Freddie (HUNGARY)
    5. Nina Krajić (CROATIA)
    6. Douwe Bob (THE NETHERLANDS)
    7. Iveta Mukuchyan (ARMENIA)
    8. Serhat (SAN MARINO)
    9. Sergey Lazarev (RUSSIA)
    10. Gabriela Gunčíková (CZECH REPUBLIC)
    11. Minus One (CYPRUS)
    12. ZOË (AUSTRIA)
    13. Jüri Pootsmann (ESTONIA)
    14. Samra (AZERBAIJAN)
    15. Highway (MONTENEGRO)
    16. Greta Salóme (ICELAND)
    17. Dalal & Deen feat. Ana Rucner and Jala (BOSNIa & HERZEGOVINA)
    18. Ira Losco (MALTA)

All jury members are music professionals. They are being asked to judge on:

1). vocal capacity
    2). the performance on stage
    3). the composition and originality of the song
    4). the overall impression by the act

Televoters determine 50% of the outcome. Votes can be 1 to 8, 10, and 12 points.

Viewers in countries that are taking part in this particular Semi-Final (and I think the permanent 5 members), are invited to vote via the official app (googleplay or iTunes), telephone and/or SMS. The ‘voting window’ opens after the last song has been performed, and ends 15 minutes later.

Ruska, Malta & perhaps Czech should all do well tonight. Although Armenia is the bookies 2nd fav and Netherlands are 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Allo, my leetle Ireesh choms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Right, let's do this again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement