Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

rte didn't do as bad as uk when the bbc selected the songs Nicky was ok but his voice doesn't stand out as much as others his song was really catchy which was great. Someone with a big voice should represent or Niall Horan is available now just send him say he'd qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

What with us not qualifying I've unbooked the pizza for tomorrow.

I canceled a 100 person party.

Lithuania has a really good song. It should do really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The song & video was good, but the staging and vocal precision wasn't 100% there on the night (25%+25% Jury votes criteria).
    He's a 'competent vocalist', but not a 'superb vocalist', not outstanding enough for a 200m live audience, compared to e.g. Australia etc.
    The vocal dynamic range on this track weren't in anyway challenging, any Joe could have a good go at covering the song.
    It should have qualified none the less, much better tune than a lot of others that made it through.

An uptempo (duet) version of this track may have done well, with a few pop alterations
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7XZ49e3PmU

Anyway here's the full chords for all the 6-stringers out there:

Notes: Capo on 3rd fret & transpose chords down 3 1/2-steps (1st chord Em7)
    SEQUENCE ORDER: I Verse1 PC1 C INT Verse2 PC2 C INT Bridge FC

[INTRO] Gm7 | |

[VERSE 1]
    Gm
    Don't be afraid,
    Eb Bb/F Fadd4
    it's only dark till the world turns round
    Gm
    Just don't look down
    Eb Bb/F Fadd4
    if you're afraid of the higher ground

[PRE-CHORUS 1]
    Eb
    Hold on to me
    Bb
    and let me hold on to you
    Cm
    We don't look back -
    Eb
    we let it slide out of view
    Gm
    And we can make it
    Eb Fsus4
    if we break out beyond these clouds

[CHORUS]
    F Eb Bb
    We'll be stand - ing out in the sun - light
    Fsus4
    We stay together,
    F
    we'll live forever
    Eb Bb
    in the sun - light
    Fsus4
    It's now or never,
    F
    you know you'd better
    Eb
    just touch who you wanna,
    Bb
    kiss who you gonna,
    Fsus4
    fight like we're winners,
    F
    love like beginners,
    Eb
    dance like you mean it,
    Bb
    sing like you feel it,
    Fsus4 F
    e - verything's better stand - ing out in the sun

[INTERLUDE] Gm | |

[VERSE 2]
    Gm
    Stop for a moment
    Eb Bb Fadd4
    just to take in the sights and sounds

[PRE-CHORUS 2]
    Eb
    Hold on to me
    Bb
    and let me hold on to you
    Cm
    We don't look back -
    Ebmaj7
    we let it slide out of view
    Gm
    There's no tomorrow
    Eb Fsus4
    so let's live in the here and now

[CHORUS]
    F Eb Bb
    We'll be stand - ing out in the sun - light
    Fsus4
    We stay together,
    F
    we'll live forever
    Eb Bb
    in the sun - light
    Fsus4
    It's now or never,
    F
    you know you'd better
    Eb
    Bb
    kiss who you gonna,
    Fsus4
    F
    love like beginners,
    Eb
    dance like you mean it,
    Bb
    sing like you feel it,
    Fsus4 F
    e - verything's better stand - ing out in the sun

[INTERLUDE] Gm | |

[BRIDGE]
    Eb
    Come turn me
    Cm7
    inside out
    Gm
    Upside down
    Bb
    I'll be your lover boy
    Eb
    Turn the
    Cm7
    music loud
    Gm F
    We can join the crowd

[FINAL CHORUS CODA] (synth + vocals)
    Eb Bb
    in the sun - light
    F7sus4/Eb
    We stay together,
    F
    we'll live forever
    Eb Bb
    in the sun - light
    Fsus4
    It's now or never,
    F n.c.
    you know you'd better (...into full instrumentation)
    Eb
    Bb
    kiss who you gonna,
    Fsus4
    F
    love like beginners,
    Eb
    dance like you mean it,
    Bb
    sing like you feel it,
    Fsus4 F Gm
    e---verything's better stand---ing out in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    That can't be true surely? Doesn't virtually every radio station play the song in the lead-up? And I'm pretty sure Loreen's song was charting in a number of countries before the competition in '12...

(Genuinely curious BTW, I could be completely wrong here)

Point 9(not numbered) states that the song can't have been released commercially before a certain date. I have to admit it's been many years since I sent a song into the EV so the rules have probably changed a lot since then!

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/about/rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I dont think RTE seem to comprehend the voting system. It isnt proportional representation, it's first past the post. Nicky Byrne could have been in every voters Top 5 songs but people are only going to vote once and for their Number 1 act. It doesnt matter if everybody liked your song, you need enough people to love your song so much that it is their Number 1. Middle of the road or very good doesnt cut it.

I believe it was one of the best 10 songs in that Semi. But it wasnt good enough for people to say "That was my favourite song".

Yes, generic and middle of the road and pleasant is useless when picking a Eurovision song. It has to be something that makes people go 'Wow' and it needs a very strong vocalist (the presentation needs to be memorable too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Uk entry was better than ours imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

I liked Albania's entry but if anyone has spare time have a listen to the original version, which was sung in Albanian. It's really good and has a much better flow to it.

It might have gone through left alone, and going by the YouTube comments a lot of people were unhappy to go with an English translation.

Song was still good in English but lyrics were a bit cliche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭maude6868

I think Spain can do very well tonight and nobody seems to rate it, I got 150/1 on her lol. Think it's very summery, upbeat and Euro '16 type song. Really don't think Russia will win, think it will be a surprise win. Sweden, Malta, Bulgaria,France, Belgium will attract a young vote as will Spain. Ukraine will do very well and could win being so different. Same for Netherlands. I'm hoping that Armenia will win simply because I will have a nice amount to collect lol.

Ruska the current fav, but Aussieland will win this time if they energise the staging a bit more.

Malta, Latvia & Bulgaria could all get in or close to the top 5.
    Spain's uptempo tune could do well and have as yet to display their goods to 200million in live broadcast setting,
    it also has been popular on the charts and spotify stype streaming channels.
    Italy would have done better if they went bilingual a bit earlier in their song.
    Germany should do better than their 100/1 indicated placing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

What's Sweden's chances? The song is decent imo.

What's Sweden's chances?

20/1, and drifting. Over-rated as is France & Ukraine's efforts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

20/1, and drifting. Over-rated as is France & Ukraine's efforts.

What makes you the expert

I agree that Australia could win. I've been listening to these songs since Feb and all along she was good for me but not a winner, seeing her on stage she was so much better. Latvia is the one song that is constantly in my head, I love it and have money on it so would love it to do well. I find it hard this year because there are so many songs on a par for me. Ukraine blew me away from the start. Netherlands were the first country I bet on but I love country music. Sweden will do very well but it's just ok to me. Armenia has everything, modern, different, good looking. Hope it's a fight to the finish and not a runaway winner tonight, can't wait. Would be very happy if Armenia, Latvia, Spain, Bulgaria, Netherlands, Malta won, that's where my money is. Love Croatia song but performance poor, pity.

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    What makes you the expert

Oddschecker.com does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Come on Czechia!!!

mansize wrote: »
    Come on Czechia!!!

Agree, a very good tune does not deserve to be ranked 2nd last in the markets, hopefully will see top 10 or 15 placement.

It's a 3'30" show tonight, with Aussies to appear mid-way it may aid or hinder them, perhaps will suit if followed with a half-way break for folks to absorb.

Isn't there a thread in gambling to discuss odds etc? This is more personal pref etc

Euro-vision odds & gambling chat over here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057580931

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

What's Sweden's chances? The song is decent imo.
    It's a song so bad that Sweden should be investigated for deliberately throwing this year's contest to avoid hosting next year.

Hope Armenia pull it out of the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

When I first heard Nicky's song, I didn't like it but it's growing on me slightly I must admit.

Thursday night, the TV was on but I was busy around the house and caught bits of it. Didn't really sit down and watch it and I missed Nicky's performance.

I caught a snippet of Nicky's performance on the news last night and I liked it. It was as good as the bits of the semi final I caught on Thursday night.

He was so weak singing it sun li... It drifted off!
    No I can't see how it was "robbed" etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

maude6868 wrote: »
    I agree that Australia could win. I've been listening to these songs since Feb and all along she was good for me but not a winner, seeing her on stage she was so much better. Latvia is the one song that is constantly in my head, I love it and have money on it so would love it to do well. I find it hard this year because there are so many songs on a par for me. Ukraine blew me away from the start. Netherlands were the first country I bet on but I love country music. Sweden will do very well but it's just ok to me. Armenia has everything, modern, different, good looking. Hope it's a fight to the finish and not a runaway winner tonight, can't wait. Would be very happy if Armenia, Latvia, Spain, Bulgaria, Netherlands, Malta won, that's where my money is. Love Croatia song but performance poor, pity.

Ya I have Australia's and Latvias song on my iPod, Latvias is great, that would be great hearing it in a club and the guy singing it is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Well I, too, am firmly in the camp of those who believe that neither Nicky nor the song were great and that him not progressing to the final was the right result. :o:o:o:o;)

I have to say, though, that listening to Marty on Thursday night was actually a rather painful experience... :o

I'll be listening to Graham tonight anyway, but hearing MW say the same tired old things about the Irish song and its singer being great, and him/her not making the final being a travesty - and, on this occasion, actually sounding like Nicky's failure was the worst thing in the world that could happen - made me think that maybe, just maybe, it's time that someone else had a go at being RTE's commentator.

Who would that someone else be, however? Tubs would be out of his depth, of course, and D'Arcy would just grumble at everything, while Brendan O'Connor's brand of humour probably wouldn't be appropriate for the Eurovision.

I'm actually quite tickled by the idea of Dáithí Ó Sé doing it, though I'm not sure whether or not he's a big Eurovision fan. My ma, meanwhile, doesn't see why we couldn't have a female commentator and has suggested Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh (whom she likes, unfortunately).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Well I, too, am firmly in the camp of those who believe that neither Nicky nor the song were great and that him not progressing to the final was the right result. :o:o:o:o;)

I have to say, though, that listening to Marty on Thursday night was actually a rather painful experience... :o

I'll be listening to Graham tonight anyway, but hearing MW say the same tired old things about the Irish song and its singer being great, and him/her not making the final being a travesty - and, on this occasion, actually sounding like Nicky's failure was the worst thing in the world that could happen - made me think that maybe, just maybe, it's time that someone else had a go at being RTE's commentator.

Who would that someone else be, however? Tubs would be out of his depth, of course, and D'Arcy would just grumble at everything, while Brendan O'Connor's brand of humour probably wouldn't be appropriate for the Eurovision.

I'm actually quite tickled by the idea of Dáithí Ó Sé doing it, though I'm not sure whether or not he's a big Eurovision fan. My ma, meanwhile, doesn't see why we couldn't have a female commentator and has suggested Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh (whom she likes, unfortunately).

Ah poor Marty knows this is his big gig! It must be frustrating not looking forward to commentating on the final and all it brings on that patriotic level when an Irish act isnt involved! You can imagine its better craic and he gets more media attention and viewership on the show when an Irish act is involved. In essence he has less investment in the show and it is hard to go through hours of commentating without that special connection.

Plus he had a score on Nicky Byrne to win!! :D:D

So its back to the scratch cards, I guess!!

AD12911394704012013-Winning.jpg

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya I have Australia's and Latvias song on my iPod, Latvias is great, that would be great hearing it in a club and the guy singing it is brilliant.

The bass on Latvia is super, Bulgaria too. Especially if you your speakers/subs/monitors can reach down to the 40hz territory.

There's also a ring modulator in the background of Latvia, which suspect may be a Alpha/Beta or even Theta aura-sonic stereo frequency multiplier.
    There you go.

I like Nicky he did a great performance but his voice isn't as strong as Shane or Marks solo who maybe would've done better . Suprised Denmark didn't get through or Iceland.
    Maybe Nadine Coyle for next year?

If we send Nadine, it's not unlikely that RTE and Marty will make the same flawed assumptions about her that they made about Nicky... :o:o :rolleyes: ;)

Mickey Joe Harte should have done far better in 2003.

Great song :)

Sertab Erener was a deserving winner, though.

It's a song so bad that Sweden should be investigated for deliberately throwing this year's contest to avoid hosting next year.

Guess who was the last country to host it in consecutive years? :D;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Petra Mede is quite witty

snubbleste wrote: »
    Petra Mede is quite witty

Peter Metre?

• Advertisement

I never watch Eurovision on RTE, I much prefer BBC and Graham.
    If anyone was to replace Marty on RTE, it would be Daithi or Panti.
    I will be voting for Bulgaria tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Mickey Joe Harte should have done far better in 2003. Great song :)

Yeah but unfortunately they have a rule about the same song not being allowed to win the competition twice.

Yeah but unfortunately they have a rule about the same song not being allowed to win the competition twice.

As I said, Sertab was a deserving winner.

And who can forget Alf Poier? He scored nearly twice as many points as Mickey Joe did... :D;)

You could argue that MJH was unfortunate to be sandwiched between Alf and Sertab. But que sera sera... ;)

oh, jesus, not Daithi O Se!!

I'd actually have two commentators together, two that have a bit of chemistry. Two duos that really worked well together before one of them left for the "job for life" were Colm and Jim Jim on FM 104 and Ray Foley and JP on 98 FM. Then they became safe broadcasters and lost the edge that they had.

BUT I REPEAT>>>> Not Daithi O se, stutturing, being awkward, losing his bearings and not witty enough to ad lib.

People don't appreciate Marty enough. He is an excellent commentator and has great wit who never got a proper chance after that Open House drouse. When RTE want to experiment with a new show he is the first person either dropped or moved to as stupid slot.

But I repeat>>>>>>>>>>>>>DEFINITELY NOT DAITHI!!!

Actually do you know who would be actually brilliant as a commentator, but he hates RTE>>>>>>>> Sean Moncrief.

That guy is both intelligent, witty and enthusiastic. He can do pieces on his own, ad lib and is a good researcher. Would be perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Francis Brennan would be my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭100cent

Wasn't there an Irish entry around 15 years ago that was accused of being very similar to an already established song?

A male singer from the North performed it if I remember right.

The first 8 notes or so of Rock and Roll kids is exactly the same as Dan Fogleberg 'The Leader of the Band' song, 'the leader of the band is tired and his hands are growing old, very same as 'we were the rock and roll kids bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

100cent wrote: »
    Wasn't there an Irish entry around 15 years ago that was accused of being very similar to an already established song?

There was a show on rte1 last night about eurovision scandals and that was on it.

People don't appreciate Marty enough. He is an excellent commentator and has great wit who never got a proper chance after that Open House drouse. When RTE want to experiment with a new show he is the first person either dropped or moved to as stupid slot.

He has hosted Winning Streak, the country's biggest game show, for seven years. Does that not count as a "proper chance"?

I still think it might not be a bad idea for RTE to give someone else a go. I don't think anything should be stopping them - it certainly wouldn't cost them a packet, anyway. And nothing would be stopping them from bringing Marty back if the worse came to the worst... ;)

100cent wrote: »

Here we go, 1995!! Showing me age :P

Oops, can't post videos yet. :( Eddie Friel sang it.

• Advertisement

Marty is a ledge. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't know how people like Marty. I think I'd rather listen to Janet Street Porter giving a two hour speech in front of a chalkboard while she runs her nails down it than have to listen to Marty's 'huh, ho, bejaysus, good man yourself' hyper-blarney bullsh*t.

I'm with team Norton tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,356 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I don't know how people like Marty. I think I'd rather listen to Janet Street Porter giving a two hour speech in front of a chalkboard while she runs her nails down it than have to listen to Marty's 'huh, ho, bejaysus, good man yourself' hyper-blarney bullsh*t.

I'm with team Norton tonight.

Team Norton all the way!

I will also raise a glass to Sir Terry Of Wogan tonight :)

Beeb with Graham

And a glass to Sir Terry at Song 9!

Can't stand Norton on Eurovision to be honest. way too up himself in Planet Graham.

Marty is far more relaxed and un-self obsessed.

Horses for courses I suppose.

As it stands, bookies have Russia favourites to win.

Although - gulp - Australia could be the dark horse.

How long has Marty been commentating on Eurovision, btw?

Marty I found to be trying too hard to be like Terry and failing

Graham does his own comedy stylings

How long has Marty been commentating on Eurovision, btw?

I don't know but I remember Larry Gogan doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Russia seem to have the most buzz which tends to count for a lot. I think France could be a dark horse if he performs it well.

Belgium should provide a funky start to the night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement