Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurovision Song Contest 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Wilberto wrote: »
    I think they did actually. This, frankly, baffled me as Austria and Czech Republic were two of my preferred ones. I though there were so many songs worse than these two.

Georgia, for a start, wasn't even a song. It was just noise!

She was poor tonight though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

why do you have two posts posts, is it like the odometer in the car?
    thats serious posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Australia beat Ukraine by 43 points in the Semi final. Ukraine only got 10 more than Australia in the televoting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Also, are there more Lithuanians than Poles in Ireland?

There are a lot of Latvians, would Latvians vote for Lithuania ?

Bet that poor Aussie is thinking...

while heading back to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My relations this year and last will be happy with the Eurovision, I have both Swedish and Ukrainian relations.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

So we can only look down on Estonia and Denmark. And not by much as we didn't score much higher and they were just nondescript songs rather than spectacularly bad ones. Either could have possibly beaten us with a gimmick or costume or better choreography or performance on the night.

Going by the studio versions of the songs, Estonia was actually one of my favourites. :( He had a great voice but there was something very awkward about the live performance. He looked very uncomfortable, and the whole card trick thing was completely unnecessary. Better choreography definitely could have saved that one.

Not sure any kind of gimmick could have saved Denmark though, that song was just musical wallpaper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Latvia came 3rd in the Irish vote . But Lithuania was a good song (so was Latvia, I don't remember poland). It's possible there were Irish votes in there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

No, as presumably they'd vote for Latvia. :P :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Roll of a dice can be the difference between winning and losing

Sheeba should have won, Sonia was hard done by, Scott Fitzgerald had it in the bag and then lost to Celine.

Loads more close calls.

Difference between victory and defeat can be miniscule.

No, as presumably they'd vote for Latvia. :P :pac:

Although I'm French and I didn't vote for France :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I think we should put My Lovely Horse from Fr Ted complete with the madcap video into the competition next year. It would be some craic if anything. We can do no worse than some of our most recent showings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Now that the dust has settled, it's time for my thoughts...

This voting system sure did highlight the differences in opinions between the juries and the televoters.

But it actually did feel like Dami was robbed - which arguably wouldn't have been the case if the televote scores had been announced before the jury ones. :(

Petra and Mans looked rather confused when they announced the televote scores, and I can't say I blame them - any host having to be the first to tackle a new and rather elaborate voting system, no matter how entertaining and professional they are, would in all likelihood look unsure. Even Tel, God rest him, might have been giving long pauses and wondering how to say who came fourth in the televote with 200 points.

I don't think I would say that Jamala is as deserving a winner as, say, her fellow countrywoman Ruslana was in 2004 - but by no means is her song the worst in the world (political messages or no political messages) and it was one of the favourites on the night.

It sure would have been fun if Dami had won, though. And I still think it's great that Australia are taking part - and does it really matter that they're not allowed to host the contest in their own country? After all, it has happened before that the Eurovision hasn't been hosted in the country that won it the previous year... :D;)

But one thing we can certainly all agree on at the end of the day is: this age-old song contest is and always will be harmless fun, for the people who take part and for the people who watch. :):) Even if the show that Kiev (or wherever in Ukraine) puts on next year isn't quite as good as tonight's, even if this voting system remains in place with the televote scores being announced after the jury scores, and even if the winning song isn't necessarily the most popular, it'll still be harmless fun for everyone involved.

And we Boardsies will, of course, be following it every step of the way. :D:);)

FalconGirl wrote: »
    I think we should put My Lovely Horse from Fr Ted complete with the madcap video into the competition next year. It would be some craic if anything. We can do no worse than some of our most recent showings.

Which is precisely the approach Ireland should avoid imo. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

This voting system sure did highlight the differences in opinions between the juries and the televoters.

But it actually did feel like Dami was robbed - which arguably wouldn't have been the case if the televote scores had been announced before the jury ones. :(

Under the old system Ukraine would've got 302 and Australia would've got 300. Gutting either way :eek:

Skid X wrote: »
    Roll of a dice can be the difference between winning and losing

Sheeba should have won, Sonia was hard done by, Scott Fitzgerald had it in the bag and then lost to Celine.

Loads more close calls.

Difference between victory and defeat can be miniscule.

Sonia wasn't!!! Niamh was way better

Petra and Mans looked rather confused when they announced the televote scores, and I can't say I blame them - any host having to be the first to tackle a new and rather elaborate voting system, no matter how entertaining and professional they are, would in all likelihood look unsure. Even Tel, God rest him, might have been giving long pauses and wondering how to say who came fourth in the televote with 200 points.

I don't think I would say that Jamala is as deserving a winner as, say, her fellow countrywoman Ruslana was in 2004 - but by no means is her song the worst in the world (political messages or no political messages) and it was one of the favourites on the night.

It sure would have been fun if Dami had won, though. And I still think it's great that Australia are taking part - and does it really matter that they're not allowed to host the contest in their own country? After all, it has happened before that the Eurovision hasn't been hosted in the country that won it the previous year... :D;)

But one thing we can certainly all agree on at the end of the day is: this age-old song contest is and always will be harmless fun, for the people who take part and for the people who watch. :):) Even if the show that Kiev (or wherever in Ukraine) puts on next year isn't quite as good as tonight's, even if this voting system remains in place with the televote scores being announced after the jury scores, and even if the winning song isn't necessarily the most popular, it'll still be harmless fun for everyone involved.

And we Boardsies will, of course, be following it every step of the way. :D:);)

I read that in Jerry Springers voice... :D

If Kylie represents Australia in 2017 then resistance will be futile.

Kylie conquers all.

I am glad Russia didn't win as it relied too much on the visual rather than the song.

• Advertisement

Cant believe Czech got Nul points from the televote!

mansize wrote: »
    Sonia wasn't!!! Niamh was way better

Better the Devil you know than the devil you don't!

If Kylie represents Australia in 2017 then resistance will be futile.

Kylie conquers all.

Her voice isn't amazing

(and I would walk on hot coals for Mz Minogue)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Christ I'm so drunk.

My winner for tonight was this thread.

xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Better the Devil you know than the devil you don't!

In your eyes, maybe...

They forgot to put the child of Prague out for votes.

Scott Fitzgerald had it in the bag and then lost to Celine.

Curse you, Yugoslavia.

Bruce Forsyth certainly said something along the lines of that... :D;)

Sonia was hard done by

Well, the UK did give its 12 to Niamh.

And, of course, it wouldn't have been quite as exciting if the Maltese spokesperson had been reached the first time... :D;)

RobertKK wrote: »
    They forgot to put the child of Prague out for votes.

She forgot to rest her voice!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Yup, I guess my vote was wasted! :pac:

I didn't actually see her perform in the final, but I though she was superb in the semi.

• Advertisement

Curse you, Yugoslavia.

Bruce Forsyth certainly said something along the lines of that... :D;)

Well, the UK did give its 12 to Niamh.

And, of course, it wouldn't have been quite as exciting if the Maltese spokesperson had been reached the first time... :D;)

No, funny how the ones that gave nothing to the UK, were (delayed by tech difficulties) tis last...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Imagine if someone had said in 1996 after Ireland's victory - our fourth win in five years at the time - that we wouldn't win it again over the next twenty years.

hmmm wrote: »

Fair play to him for doing that. Would be nice to see a bit more objectivity from the rest of the jurors in both countries. Eurovision is meant to be apolitical, so the juries at least should reward a good song/performance with a reasonable mark even if they despise the country submitting it.

Then again, if an Azeri juror placed Armenia even in second-last place, they'd probably disappear in the middle of the night in "mysterious circumstances" and never be heard of again. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Although in the Semi-Final One televote the Azeri public ranked Armenia 14th, ahead of Iceland, Montenegro and Finland! Well now!! :eek:
    http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results?event=2123&voter=AZ

Yup, I guess my vote was wasted! :pac:

I didn't actually see her perform in the final, but I though she was superb in the semi.

I thought she was great in the semi, but piss poor tonight

Didn't vote for her in the end

I thought she was great in the semi, but piss poor tonight

Didn't vote for her in the end

She must have been bad to have received no televotes!

I'm off to youtube now to see what I actually voted for! :pac:

Imagine if someone had said in 1996 after Ireland's victory - our fourth win in five years at the time - that we wouldn't win it again over the next twenty years.

Nearly two decades, too, since the UK achieved their fifth and most recent win - and their fifteenth and most recent runners-up spot... :eek: :eek: :D:D;)

• Advertisement

Nearly two decades, too, since the UK achieved their fifth and most recent win - and their fifteenth and most recent runners-up spot... :eek: :eek: :D:D;)

The UK are as liked as the USC :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 gourcuff28

France haven't won since 1977 :O

gourcuff28 wrote: »

Elvis was alive the last time they won! Sacre bleu!

gourcuff28 wrote: »

Amina only lost to Carola in '91 by virtue of having picked up fewer 10s... :eek: :o:D;)

Kylie can, should, must and will enter and win Eurovision

That is all. :)

• Advertisement

UK came 2nd to last in the televote...
    Nobody likes the UK... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,023 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

At least we have our answer as to why we and the UK have fared so poorly since tele voting began.
    We don't have as many emigrant Irish in Europe as the Poles, the Ukrainians and Russians.
    Poland were propping up the scoreboard until the tele vote was factored in. They came third in the tele vote with a song we are now scientifically able to verify as $hite. Hundreds of jurors around Europe didn't vote for it.

I also want to have a say on the new voting presentation system as well. The issue I'd have with it is that, yes it does make it more exciting come the end, but I think it's obvious that the Eurovision clearly had another agenda when coming up with the idea. I mean, it clearly masks the block voting, meaning there's no more booing when Russia gets its 12 points from all its minions etc., So, the problem isn't being fixed by any stretch of the imagination, just hidden away out of view.

Kylie can, should, must and will enter and win Eurovision

That is all. :)

Her sister isn't bad either - although she's probably better at mentoring these days. ;)

No doubt she was disappointed that the televote cost Dami victory, but she was still gracious in defeat:

https://twitter.com/DanniiMinogue/status/731615391974232064

At least we have our answer as to why we and the UK have fared so poorly since tele voting began.
    We don't have as many emigrant Irish in Europe as the Poles, the Ukrainians and Russians.
    Poland were propping up the scoreboard until the tele vote was factored in. They came third in the tele vote with a song we are now scientifically able to verify as $hite. Hundreds of jurors around Europe didn't vote for it.

Still better than Georgia.

In my own humble opinion, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

UK came 2nd to last in the televote...
    Nobody likes the UK... :P

In fairness now Ireland came 15th in the Semi Final, never mind the actual final :P.

In fairness now, both songs were absolutely sh*te and deserved to do sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lunger

Australia wuz robbed. :colbert:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yes, that's the reason why. Nothing to do with the terrible standard of songs we send :rolleyes:

Anyway, that new voting system was horrible tonight, really hope it's only a one-year thing.

I loved it- the split voting

UK getting excited about 12 points from Malta - they would have only got 6 under old system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭maude6868

I don't care, off to collect my substantial winnings on Ukraine, bet on her 5 weeks ago simply because she stood out and was different, you have to be different or wow, that's it. Any song that is different from the bunch will pick up nice votes along the way, think of that for next year. Said from day one Russia wouldn't win and Australia was good but didn't blow me away when I heard it first and I always go on first listen. Delighted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement