Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Os Recommendations

Options
  • 07-01-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Ok so atm I have a home server running windows homeserver 2011. Its basically used mostly for file storage and plex media server etc. I was using it for a team speak server when req. I am just after getting a 120gb ssd on the cheap to put into it. So i'm thinking of doing a full reinstall and im trying to decide on an OS to use. My intention is to create exactly what I have now but also to use a VM for torrenting.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice as to what would be the best OS for me. I dont mind trying out new OS's but obv I will pick up windows server OS's alot quicker. Part of me was going to go for something like unRaid and creating a NAS and then a VM with windows 10. But because of my experience I'm leaning towards a windows server 2012 or similar.

Specs
    AMD Phenom 2 x3 with unlocked 4th core @ 3.2ghz
    8gb ddr3 ram
    2x2tb wd red hdd

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

unRAID with a windows guest would be a great option and is quite user friendly to setup. One to consider.

My home box is running 2008R2 on the bare metal and FlexRaid for the filesystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Yea I have committed myself to unraid now tbh. It has everything i need in docker apps. And then the ability to VM if I need anything from an os

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

Why would you want a windows VM for torrenting?

In my experience transmission is one of the better bit torrent clients out there.

www transmissionbt com (apparently I need to have a million posts before I can post links)

I'm using Archlinux myself and I think it's the dog's proverbials, the documentation is clear and concise.

Advertisement