Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Pork Stock

Options
  • 07-01-2016 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

I decided to preserve the stock left over from cooking the christmas ham and see if I could do something with it.

It had bay leaves, pepper, allspice, cloves, orange peel, mace and obviously a smoked ham in it.

I have 1-1.5l of stock.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking of something along the lines of canellini beans and andouilles stew.
    Frenchy kind of stuff.

The things I'd be worried about would be the spices and the orange. Might make things weird.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd be more worried about the saltiness - have you tasted it?

Mod note: I've moved this to Cooking & Recipes, it's better suited to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd be more worried about the saltiness - have you tasted it?

Mod note: I've moved this to Cooking & Recipes, it's better suited to here.

Not yet.

It's currently frozen.

Can't say I fancy the idea of a pork juice ice pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pea soup.
    Gently fry an onion, some celery and some leek.
    When soft add your stock and bring to the boil.
    Add a pack of frozen peas.
    Bring back to the boil, cook for a minute and blitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Pea soup.

Nice one tbr!

You could also grill a couple of rashers until really crisp, pat any excess fat off them with some kitchen roll. Then crumble them on top of the soup as a garnish with some finely shredded mint. You'll have a lovely crunchy contrast to the velvety soup, & a hint of mint to counteract the saltiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nice one tbr!

You could also grill a couple of rashers until really crisp, pat any excess fat off them with some kitchen roll. Then crumble them on top of the soup as a garnish with some finely shredded mint. You'll have a lovely crunchy contrast to the velvety soup, & a hint of mint to counteract the saltiness.

A blob of natural yoghurt is also very nice.
    We always have pea soup after cooking ham or bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pea soup.

Quite a simple soup. That might be the best way to use the stock - it already has all the complicated stuff going on.
    The only thing is that the stock has treacle, orange and allspice already so the peas and fried onions bunged in as well would, I presume, make it too sweet.

A drop of acid might be necessary? Maybe a drop of cider vinegar (it being pork stock and all)?

I was thinking generally earthy stuff would work best - spuds, beans, lentils... that kind of thing.

I got a recipe book of 365 soups for christmas, so there may well be a treasure trove of those sorts of ideas in there.

Advertisement