Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5w LED Bulb €1.49 Dealz

Options
  • 07-01-2016 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Dealz are doing 5w LED BC Light Bulbs for only €1.49 each. I find them great I got 5 of them . They easily output I'd say same light as 60w normal incandescent bulbs, or 11w CFL's but are instant (no warm up to get to full brightness like cfl) a little bit whiter light than the warm white of incandescent bulb but not too bad, not white/blue'ish like some LED lights. Its smaller than normal light bulb so will have no probem fitting into light fittings, even fittings where a CFL wont fit into. on front of box it says Electrek Make.

1937227_10207974539975190_696360266100664682_n.jpg?oh=04de6fccd09a8fab8c19df2ece2559d3&oe=57124DA0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

Dealz are doing 5w LED BC Light Bulbs for only €1.49 each. I find them great I got 5 of them . They easily output I'd say same light as 60w normal incandescent bulbs, or 11w CFL's but are instant (no warm up to get to full brightness like cfl) a little bit whiter light than the warm white of incandescent bulb but not too bad, not white/blue'ish like some LED lights. Its smaller than normal light bulb so will have no probem fitting into light fittings, even fittings where a CFL wont fit into. on front of box it says Electrek Make.

1937227_10207974539975190_696360266100664682_n.jpg?oh=04de6fccd09a8fab8c19df2ece2559d3&oe=57124DA0

Tried these earlier and they're garbage. Same goes with their halogen replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Garbage? I am keen to try these, in what way are the garbage pls?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're def not as bright as a 60w, but I have a few and they're fine.

There's a YouTube account bigclivedotcom that does teardowns of electrical stuff and as far as I know they're decent enough inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tnethacker

colm_mcm wrote: »

There's a YouTube account bigclivedotcom that does teardowns of electrical stuff and as far as I know they're decent enough inside.

They don't actually deliver the wattage they're supposed to and the light is crap. Better get some of those LED's with stickers as they work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Garbage? - I personally think they are really good. I dont know how long they are going to last yet, and the light output looks good. I cannot get any 11watt CFL's anywhere near around €1.49 each these days so I think these are pretty good value/bargain .... and its uses modern technology (LED - cool running, no warmup time, no mercury)

• Advertisement

our Local Dealz had more of the 3w ones than the 5w ones - I wanted brighter so i went for the 5w ones but if I go in next time and they have the 3watt ones i might buy a couple of them too - at that price cant go wrong

tnethacker wrote: »
    They don't actually deliver the wattage they're supposed to and the light is crap. Better get some of those LED's with stickers as they work better.

What wattage are they supposed deliver?
    Pack says they use 5w, it doesn't make any claim (that I can see) to be as bright as xyz

Poundland says its equivalent to a 35w bulb on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

What wattage are they supposed deliver?
    Pack says they use 5w, it doesn't make any claim (that I can see) to be as bright as xyz

Poundland says its equivalent to a 35w bulb on their website.

Equivalent of a 35w sounds about right looking at the lumens (from what i can gather there's about 10 lumens per watt in an incandescent bulb). The OP said 60w which i think is a bit optimistic although I'm happy to stand corrected.

Don't have any of the bulbs so i can't comment but if you think about a 35w bulb wouldn't be much use on it's own (for a room's main light, it'd probably do for a desk lamp or wall lights) - you'd definitely need to be using more than one and if you are they're probably fine (I suspect the garbage comment was based on someone trying to light a room with them). To be honest it's a bit crappy that they don't put the incandescent equivalent on the box, makes it hard to know what you're getting.

Seems like a good deal though (unfortunately I've no use for them) but if they do suit and you're getting some I suggest filling you're boots - I'm reliably informed they're phasing out bayonet bulbs so you mightn't be able to get them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i got a good number of the various LEDs in dealz and find them very good, they're lasting and no heat as expected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭ablelocks

are there any 5w or higher GU10 LED bulbs or do they stock them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Wattage isn't a measure of light.

TheDriver wrote: »
    i got a good number of the various LEDs in dealz and find them very good, they're lasting and no heat as expected

I got a couple of the 3w candle LED's from deals for the cooker hood too, to replace the 40w candle ones - they are grand and nice and bright. Cant see them any dimmer than the 40w ones ... you imagine 80w in cooker hood just for bulbs now down to 6watt! - for just under €3

ablelocks wrote: »
    are there any 5w or higher GU10 LED bulbs or do they stock them?

I didnt see them in there - but i tell you where I did see them, in Homestore & more i think. They cost more than €1.49 each tho - Homebase are a ripp off for bulbs, LED and CFL's so avoid them!

when buying these round LED bulbs look out for a white plastic surround around the base of the bulb. Have heard a few horror stories of ones with exposed metal heatsink bases that have come in touch with the live parts of the bulb and you could get a shock! - the ones from DEALZ all have plastic base I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Better get some of those LED's with stickers as they work better.
    what do you mean by stickers?
    It says/claims 330lumens.

as a comparison I got GU10 philips LEDs for the kitchen, they are 4.5W and claim to give 345 lumen and claim to be equivalent to 50W, they were €6.20 each. This is the same one (not cheap, just showing the spec)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-GU10-Watt-Spot-White/dp/B00MXZBT2S/ref=sr_1_4?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1437574611&sr=1-4&keywords=philips+gu10+led+50w

I will definitely get a few cheapo dealz ones for use in rooms I am not in much, and if the light is decent I will get more for the rest.

In tesco the cheapest bayonet type ones were something like €12.50, and I think it was even their own brand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I'd say the 5 watt ones (they claim 330 lumens) are about 50w incandescent equiv. which is pretty good for 1.50
    They come in several forms BC small round, normal round, candle. E14 small round and GU10.
    Also had V-TAC brand 6w 470 lumen E14 though I'd say they are not much different to the 5w version

They have lots of other 200 lumen 3w ones but didn't bother with them as anything less than 300 lumen is not much use to me, except perhaps a table lamp.

Anyway my thoughts are, seem pretty good for the price, have lasted a couple of weeks with no problems so far.
    The candles are far better than the incandescent equivalent for say a candleabra type fitting. Put 5 in and light is much better than when had 5 incandescent or 5 cfls.
    GU10 in a table lamp is fine, face gets a little warmer than I expected, but not more than a cfl so will reserve judgement on life expectancy..
    Single BC is ok for table or reading lamp or small room, but you'd need at least 2 for average room. Still cheaper than cfl.

Still looking for reasonable halogen G9 equivalent if anyone comes across them

Anyway it's about time all cfls, which really were a massive waste of money and effort were doomed to recycle bin and never stocked again.

Ikea were really trying to push the LED lights last year, I dont think they stock CFL at all any more. I dunno what their prices are, shouldnt think they are as low as 1.49, because the only ikea store i know is up in dublin. I suppose if the sweedes are going with them they must be OK :)

murphm45 wrote: »
    Equivalent of a 35w sounds about right looking at the lumens (from what i can gather there's about 10 lumens per watt in an incandescent bulb). The OP said 60w which i think is a bit optimistic although I'm happy to stand corrected.

I dunno - i havent got me light/lux meter out to check (well truth be told i aint got a light meter lol) - but I have replaced a 60w incandescent bulb in a table lamp here and just using me ol' súile's the lord gifted me with i cant tell any difference the amount of light the 5w throw out - look like 60w to me ... a bit on the whiter colour side, rather than warm white glow though of the incandescent

Ikea were really trying to push the LED lights last year, I dont think they stock CFL at all any more. I dunno what their prices are, shouldnt think they are as low as 1.49, because the only ikea store i know is up in dublin. I suppose if the sweedes are going with them they must be OK :)
    I think they're starting at about €6. We got some under counter LED strips there and they didn't even last a year.

you see I suppose when LED first come out they were very very expensive, I think i saw one equivient of a 60w once when LED first come out and it was abou €20! - but now they are mass produced and are in demand now these days maybe the quality of manufacturing has slipped. mind you seeing as price fallen and they are only 1.49 a piece even if they dont last that long can you really complain too much? - I suppose you will get people though who pays 1.49 though and when it goes kaput after a year will still throw a paddy claiming "LED bulbs are rubbish, they claim they are supposed to last a lifetime! - what a load of tosh" but you will always get people like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Got two of the bayonet cap to try.
    The larger says GLS on the box and has cooling holes.

I haven't taken them apart but I suspect they just have a non-electrolytic capacitor for current limiting and a bridge rectifier. Yes premium brands have proper regulators but I'm still wary of short life times of their electrolytics due to capacitor plague.

Both are 5W 330Lm , The larger one says A energy rating on the box.
    But it also says 3 Khw/1000hours (which is 3 W :confused:)

These will take 200 hours to use one unit of electricity. Electricity here costs about 20c per unit. So running cost is €1 per 1000 hours - a year of three hours a day. Yes you can get more efficient A++ bulbs but I'd expect those to drop in price by more than a €2.50 over the next year ;)

And if colour temperature is really an issue then you could have saved up all the yellow sweet wrappers from Christmas :D

Tip
    check out charity shops for multiple bulb chandlers if you need more light as high wattage LED's are still very pricey per watt and Irish suppliers haven't really offered any reasonably priced CFL or LED to replace the old staple 150W incandescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Can you dim the LED bulbs if they go into socket worked by dimmer switch?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

septicsac wrote: »
    they aren't labelled as dimmable

Lidl are doing some dimmable 13W ones for €8.99

septicsac wrote: »

i can vouch that they dont work on Dimmer, because I tried earlier on Today - I suppose too much to ask for the price of 1.49 for them to be dimmable type but I just thought I would give it a try IRL as it never mentioned on the box/packaging whether they were dimmable or not.

So anyway, put 2 of them into one of those 3 light fittings which was wired up to a dimmer switch (took a chance because I didnt know what was going to happen and I thought ah well if I wreck the electronics inside the bulb they were only 1.49 each) - anyway turned the dimmer switch on and both bulbs flashed briefly for a split second and then with the dimmer switch on its lowest they did not light at all, turn the dimmer up and they lit (normal brightness but they were buzzing and so was the dimmer switch, turned up dimmer switch to maximum and there was still a buzz but not much and they fully lit .... so there you go, they are not dimmable type but on the plus side (for me anyway) I didnt wreck em by trying! :)

On another note the 3 bulbs that were in the fitting were 3 clear 60w bulbs (equal 180w - well with dimmer on full) ... with the 3 5w led = 15w :) nearly same brightness (maybe a little bit dimmer but not too much!)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

So anyway, put 2 of them into one of those 3 light fittings which was wired up to a dimmer switch...

Did you leave in the 3rd normal 60W bulb? I know CFL's can be dimmed in this way but haven't tried it with LEDs

cyborg wrote: »
    Did you leave in the 3rd normal 60W bulb? I know CFL's can be dimmed in this way but haven't tried it with LEDs

oh, no I dint. Thats a good idea to try though. No the third bulb in the fitting was a clear 60w but it was already blown when i was checking the LED's on the dimmer switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Picked up a few 5w bc and 5w GU10.

The GU10's are far brighter than the Phillips 4.8w GU10's I had previously.
    The 5W's are very bright for what they are, I'm going to pick up a few 3w
    ones as I think they will suit a few applications better.

Fitted 3 x 5w ones in my parents living room, they are delighted & prefer them
    to the 77w halogen ones that were there before.

Thanks OP, great bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Leds are on the way out lads, incandesants is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dealz are meant to be doing incandesants too. There is a loophole that lets them sell them as "rough service" bulbs.

• Advertisement

nice heat out of em for the winter months. i often sit in front of an Incandescent 60w bulb wearing me fingerless gloves with my hands around the bulb. - you dont get the same effect with these cool running LED lights :D

Advertisement