Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5w LED Bulb €1.49 Dealz

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

[QUOTE=Andy From Sligo;98427843- what a shame even now these days they still cannot make an LED bulb to exactly match the colour rendering of warm white, even though it says 'warm white' on the box.[/QUOTE]

Of course they can but you're not going to get it in Dealz for 1.50. The IKEA ones are about the cheapest you'll get with good colour rendering warm white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

If its brightness you want, then Ikea is the only store.

They now have an 1800 lumen bulb (E14 fitting, but they have BC22 to E14 adaptors - 2 for €1.50) for €15. Way too bright for domestic use, but if you have a dark garage with grey walls, it will make it like a summer's day!

Best value is the 2 pack of 1000 lumen E14 bulbs for €10. That's the brightness of a 100 watt incandescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Of course they can but you're not going to get it in Dealz for 1.50.

yep, your right of course. - Mind u the LED ones I took down will come handy for other light fittings i have in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Is there a screw on type of the 5W LED bulb, not the small screw on, the bigger one?

Fitted 3 LEDs into the kitchen where I feel that 'warmth' people feel from lights isn't as important. Wouldn't like them in a bedroom or sitting room though.

What are the Candle style 5W LED bulbs like? Do they compare well to CFLs?

just as a comparison of the colour rendering, although maybe cant see it too good in the photo. - (I had to turn down the exposure of the camera to show different colour)

12509429_10208027972990982_4759936751280995451_n.jpg?oh=cbc3b3591d1031a27cff4d22123162af&oe=5705C09D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

About the colour, what do you expect from €1.49 bulb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I picked up some of these, I have the 5w bulbs in my hallway, kitchen and bathroom. They're perfect for those uses and cost peanuts. I'm happy with them.

Using Philips CFL's for the bedrooms and livingroom, got 10 of those for £22 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

ablelocks wrote: »
    are there any 5w or higher GU10 LED bulbs or do they stock them?

I tried the Dealz GU10 LED bulbs and they were pure rubbish - I bought 2 just to test them... one lasted 2 weeks and the other 3 weeks.

Lots of retailers are starting to sell good quality GU10 LED bulbs - I saw them recently in B&Q for a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

what a shame I couldnt put up with the cold 'whiteness' colour rendering of the LED's Dealz bulbs on our 3 fitting ceiling light in the living room - now I have succumbed and admit defeat and put some 40w incandescent BC bulbs in it now I've gone up from 15w LED to 120w incandescent now :( .. but at least it really is warm white glow now - what a shame even now these days they still cannot make an LED bulb to exactly match the colour rendering of warm white, even though it says 'warm white' on the box.
    I don't know what it is about ireland, perhaps the dull days but I don't get the preference for so called warm white. Funnily enough at 2700K it is way cooler than the 6000K+ cool white I prefer as that is closer to daylight. I find warm white inferior for reading, perhaps a personal preference or my reliance on reading glasses.
    In fact I cry a little every time I check a bulb and find the inevitable warm white. In other, perhaps sunnier climes, cool white is far more popular and more widely available.

wil wrote:
    I don't know what it is about ireland, perhaps the dull days but I don't get the preference for so called warm white. Funnily enough at 2700K it is way cooler than the 6000K+ cool white I prefer as that is closer to daylight. I find warm white inferior for reading, perhaps a personal preference or my reliance on reading glasses. In fact I cry a little every time I check a bulb and find the inevitable warm white. In other, perhaps sunnier climes, cool white is far more popular and more widely available.

It is funny how bulb temperature/rendering can change the feel of a room though. Our living room feels much warmer and cosier now I have put the incandescent bulbs back in the living room. No extra heating than before, no change in weather, if anything its colder outside, no just the warm white glow of the incandescent bulbs have made the room feel warmer again as opposed to the white/daylight of the led bulbs I had in there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It is funny how bulb temperature/rendering can change the feel of a room though. Our living room feels much warmer and cosier now I have put the incandescent bulbs back in the living room. No extra heating than before, no change in weather, if anything its colder outside, no just the warm white glow of the incandescent bulbs have made the room feel warmer again as opposed to the white/daylight of the led bulbs I had in there

Decent LED bulbs will have the same colour temperature and be just as warm. And will pay back for themselves in about 6 to 9 months.

I just replaced my GU10's in my living room with Philips Hue lights and they are awesome, expensive, but complete control of not only the colour temperature, but the ability to display almost any colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,642 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Woodies are doing an offer on Osram GU10s, 2 pack for 12.99 (didn't see this online but is available in store)

Osram LED Star PAR16 50 35degree

5W, 350lm, 2700K warm white, 15000h, 100000 cycles, 3 year guarantee, not dimmable

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭corazon

I picked up some Osram MR16 warm white bulbs in Tesco a while back to replace some halogens. I installed them yesterday and am very impressed with them. Very nice light and not as harsh, much better for reading. They were in the clearance section reduced from €9.50 to €1.49. I got the last four remaining but need need about another dozen so will keep an eye out for them. The Tesco brand are €10.45 each but I am a bit wary of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

wil wrote: »
    I don't know what it is about ireland, perhaps the dull days but I don't get the preference for so called warm white. Funnily enough at 2700K it is way cooler than the 6000K+ cool white I prefer as that is closer to daylight. I find warm white inferior for reading, perhaps a personal preference or my reliance on reading glasses.
    In fact I cry a little every time I check a bulb and find the inevitable warm white. In other, perhaps sunnier climes, cool white is far more popular and more widely available.

If you had a bulb with a decent CRI like the SORAA ones most people would be happy with a higher colour temperature. But people aren't prepared to pay 5 times the price for the priviledge. The issue is mainly the missing red spectrum and the peaky spectrum produced by typical phosphors in typical flourescents and leds.

Real daylight is full of red spectrum light, daylight flourescents, halides and leds typically have a tiny fraction of the red spectrum light that real daylight has giving everything a blue cast making people look like cadavers. Also 5400k is the equivalent of direct sunlight, mid summer at noon with a completely clear sky at our latitude.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Mr Price currently have a range of LED bulbs of various fittings and up to 800 lumen that appear to be priced from about €1 to €4. Nigh on impossible to match each bulb to its correct price in my local store though due to the extremely haphazard placing (or complete lack) of individual price labels.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Back to Dealz, I picked up two of the 6W SES golf balls last week and have found them an excellent replacement in terms of brightness and colour to the 40W soft-tone golf balls I had.

A few months ago, I installed one of the 3W bulbs in a location where it is on 24/7 and thus far, I have had no issues. Based on its rated lifespan, it should last about two years in constant usage. Will report back if it fails in the meantime.

be careful about buying these 40watt Clear BC golfball bulbs from DEALZ. I personally question the quality. I had one blow on me within a month of buying , and when I went to remove it the glass part of the bulb was coming apart from the metal base, I would question if the glue is strong enough that they use to attach the glass to the metal BC base. - On the top of the Bulb is the word 'Status' - I think on the outside of the box was Electrek , there is no mention or warning on the box whether the lamps should be or not only be installed upright or pointing down.

Image:
    12733398_10208298425872135_6271901754074936137_n.jpg?oh=4b06163e664c95f849ade1f770d793c7&oe=576D3AAE

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Got these 3w bulbs in Dealz. Previously using 50 w bulbs. Bought 10 of them. 4 of them blew within 10 days. Other 6 work perfectly. Concluding that they can be good but quality control is poor...
    be careful about buying these 40watt Clear BC golfball bulbs from DEALZ. I personally question the quality. I had one blow on me within a month of buying , and when I went to remove it the glass part of the bulb was coming apart from the metal base, I would question if the glue is strong enough that they use to attach the glass to the metal BC base. - On the top of the Bulb is the word 'Status' - I think on the outside of the box was Electrek , there is no mention or warning on the box whether the lamps should be or not only be installed upright or pointing down.

Image:
    12733398_10208298425872135_6271901754074936137_n.jpg?oh=4b06163e664c95f849ade1f770d793c7&oe=576D3AAE

normanbond wrote: »
    Got these 3w bulbs in Dealz. Previously using 50 w bulbs. Bought 10 of them. 4 of them blew within 10 days. Other 6 work perfectly. Concluding that they can be good but quality control is poor...

Do you personally bother taking them back for replacement or do you just put it down to you got them cheap anyway so dont bother? - i cant make up my mind to take them back for replacement/refund or not myself... plus i can find the bleeding receipt, typically! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dominoman

Do you personally bother taking them back for replacement or do you just put it down to you got them cheap anyway so dont bother? - i cant make up my mind to take them back for replacement/refund or not myself... plus i can find the bleeding receipt, typically! :rolleyes:

I bought 5 of the 5W gu10 bulbs a few weeks ago. Two were DOA brought them back for replacement. Another two have since died but 3 are still going do much for 30,000 hours. Here's what they look like when taken apart.378728.jpg[IMG][/img]378730.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I have same gu10 and notice some black in middle after forming. Not looking good plus they are very bright

TheDriver wrote: »
    I have same gu10 and notice some black in middle after forming. Not looking good plus they are very bright

possibly LED's over-driven with voltage , or not clean voltage - maybe thats why some of them fail premature

I ordered 10x Osram make 11w CFL's the other day from ebay £16.99 for 10 - worked out €2.29 each not bad I suppose - as much as I liked the 5 watt LED lights at €1.49 and the thought of them using such tiny wattage, i found them too much on the white side rather than warm white (as they were supposed to be) and not as bright as a 40w bulb in the end. I think i got a bargain + I now have a few in stock now as and when I need them, dont think i have seen 11w CFL in Homebase or place like it for €2.29 each, has anyone else? - going back years now but I did get 11w Philips out of Homebase for €1 or €1.50, but I havent seen them that price for a long time... and they didnt last as many years as it said on the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

dominoman wrote: »
    I bought 5 of the 5W gu10 bulbs a few weeks ago. Two were DOA brought them back for replacement. Another two have since died but 3 are still going do much for 30,000 hours. Here's what they look like when taken apart.378728.jpg[IMG][/img]378730.jpg

DOA- Have you managed to ascertain the cause of death or is the issue still with CSI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I ordered 10x Osram make 11w CFL's the other day from ebay £16.99 for 10 - worked out €2.29 each not bad I suppose - as much as I liked the 5 watt LED lights at €1.49 and the thought of them using such tiny wattage, i found them too much on the white side rather than warm white (as they were supposed to be) and not as bright as a 40w bulb in the end. I think i got a bargain + I now have a few in stock now as and when I need them, dont think i have seen 11w CFL in Homebase or place like it for €2.29 each, has anyone else? - going back years now but I did get 11w Philips out of Homebase for €1 or €1.50, but I havent seen them that price for a long time... and they didnt last as many years as it said on the box!

CFLs are for prisons, orphanages and the home of mercury poisoned green party acolytes.

Good quality, branded LEDs from companies with actual quality control and testing are the way forward but bog standard filament bulbs are just fine for many situations really... CFLs are about as environmental as small capacity diesel engines. On paper the pseudo science of the greenies looks great, but they're just unnecessarily nasty in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

As someone who bought 5 led bulbs a couple of moths ago I though I'd post here.

I bought 5 of the 5w LEDs from Dealz 3 of the smaller bulb, 2 of the larger bulb, bayonets.

2 of the smaller bulbs went after about 3-4 weeks, but the other 3 are going well. (over 2 months now)

I might try some of the 6w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I just bought one to try it out, it's not wasn't as bright as it should have been and stopped working after 2 weeks or so.

I wouldn't bother with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭dodzy

GU10 LEDs for this money?! Seriously, don't waste your time. They have to be useless at this price point. Get to ikea and get their variants for €6. Chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

dodzy wrote: »
    GU10 LEDs for this money?! Seriously, don't waste your time. They have to be useless at this price point. Get to ikea and get their variants for €6. Chalk and cheese.

Having tried both, I agree.

• Advertisement

CFLs are for prisons, orphanages and the home of mercury poisoned green party acolytes.

Good quality, branded LEDs from companies with actual quality control and testing are the way forward but bog standard filament bulbs are just fine for many situations really... CFLs are about as environmental as small capacity diesel engines. On paper the pseudo science of the greenies looks great, but they're just unnecessarily nasty in the real world.

I dont plan on cracking em open and releasing the mercury any time soon so i should be OK :) -

Still love the light output and colour rendering of the CFL bulbs I have to say (once they have warmed up) - so now I have swapped out 3x60w candles (180watt) for 3x 11wCFL (33w) - not as saving as the LED 3x 5w (15w), but just the right brightness and nice warm white colour

Advertisement