Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5w LED Bulb €1.49 Dealz

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Still love the light output and colour rendering of the CFL bulbs I have to say (once they have warmed up) - so now I have swapped out 3x60w candles (180watt) for 3x 11wCFL (33w) - not as saving as the LED 3x 5w (15w), but just the right brightness and nice warm white colour

A decent LED, like the IKEA ones, would have a colour rendering just as good, if not better then a CFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

bk wrote: »
    A decent LED, like the IKEA ones, would have a colour rendering just as good, if not better then a CFL.

thats good - what wattage LED would you need to equal an 11w CFL or 60w Incandescent then? - we have no IKEA down in my neck of the woods , but we have a pretty good trade and retail electrical place called Cliffords in Sligo and they had a pretty good display of LED bulbs on display.... pricey though I bet. not as cheap as the CFL's I bought at €2.29 each or €1.49 DEALZ ones

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

thats good - what wattage LED would you need to equal an 11w CFL or 60w Incandescent then? - we have no IKEA down in my neck of the woods , but we have a pretty good trade and retail electrical place called Cliffords in Sligo and they had a pretty good display of LED bulbs on display.... pricey though I bet. not as cheap as the CFL's I bought at €2.29 each or €1.49 DEALZ ones

I have several Osram LEDs that I picked up cheaply in Tesco last year when they were selling them off. The 6W bulbs are the equivalent of 40W incandescent and the 10W bulbs the equivalent of 60W incaldescent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sunlight / incandescents have a continuous spectrum with no wavelength gapss

Being pedantic there's no such thing as a white LED or white CFL.

The colour depends on the phosphors used. Warm vs. cool is a user preference. Lampshades change colours too. But nowadays if you spend a bit more you can get RGB LED and choose your own colours.

Quackster wrote: »
    I have several Osram LEDs that I picked up cheaply in Tesco last year when they were selling them off. The 6W bulbs are the equivalent of 40W incandescent and the 10W bulbs the equivalent of 60W incaldescent.

Surprising that - so a 10watt LED = 60w ... but a 11watt CFL also equals 60w too - mind you on paper the LED should last longer (lifetime) and have no harmful mercury as the CFL has - but not saving on wattage then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Surprising that - so a 10watt LED = 60w ... but a 11watt CFL also equals 60w too - mind you on paper the LED should last longer (lifetime) and have no harmful mercury as the CFL has - but not saving on wattage then

An 11W CFL is really the equivalent of a 55W incandescent but I think even that's a bit optimistic, especially as CFLs loose brightness over their working lives. There's no doubt that over the coming years LEDs will become even more efficient.

My Osrams are dimmable too which is something that's tricky to do with CFLs and doesn't produce the most pleasing results.

Cool, I mean quite honest though when bringing out these LED lights they should have made them so they were all dimmable - wonder how many people have put them into a fitting with a dimmer switch either not reading or taking notice of what it said on the box. - With incandescant bulbs home consumers would have been in no doubt and could have used with or without a dimmer. no thinking even needed. so when they brought out 'replacements' (such as CFL or LED) at the very least they should have been on the market as being able to be dimmable as standard!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Cool, I mean quite honest though when bringing out these LED lights they should have made them so they were all dimmable - wonder how many people have put them into a fitting with a dimmer switch either not reading or taking notice of what it said on the box. - With incandescant bulbs home consumers would have been in no doubt and could have used with or without a dimmer. no thinking even needed. so when they brought out 'replacements' (such as CFL or LED) at the very least they should have been on the market as being able to be dimmable as standard!

The problem is, even with dimmable LED's, they won't normally work properly with old fashioned dimmers designed for incandescent bulbs.

That isn't the LED's fault, it is because the old dimmers simply weren't designed to go so far down in voltage as LED's and CFL's go.

It isn't just a case is the LED dimmable or not, it is also the case of if your dimmer switch in a modern low voltage supporting one too. And if not, then you need to replace the dimmer switch too.

As to why they don't make all LED's dimmable, it is because it requires extra circuitry and electronics and thus extra cost. The reality is the majority of light switches aren't dimmable, so why make people pay more for something they don't need?

The problem is, even with dimmable LED's, they won't normally work properly with old fashioned dimmers designed for incandescent bulbs.

That isn't the LED's fault, it is because the old dimmers simply weren't designed to go so far down in voltage as LED's and CFL's go.

It isn't just a case is the LED dimmable or not, it is also the case of if your dimmer switch in a modern low voltage supporting one too. And if not, then you need to replace the dimmer switch too.

As to why they don't make all LED's dimmable, it is because it requires extra circuitry and electronics and thus extra cost. The reality is the majority of light switches aren't dimmable, so why make people pay more for something they don't need?

ah right, didnt realise that some of the dimmable ones would not work properly on old dimmers. makes sense i suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 fumij

The price is attractive, how about the quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They were doing these in lidl for €10 lately. Friend got one, on the instructions is said they aren't designed to be in use as a regular light bulb, up just occasional use - or something that suggested they wouldn't last too long.

zerks wrote: »

I got this RGB remote control LED Bulb last year from LIDL or ALDI (Cant remember which one) but look what happened when I was unscrewing it from the light fitting! - so dangerous, the (very thin) glass cracked and broke and I was hardly using any force! - could have shred my fingers or flying bit of glass could have gone into me eye! - would have been safer to use a plastic frosted cover me thinks.

Picture:

DSC_0005.jpg

Advertisement