Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to work while doing Hibernia Primary Teaching Post Grad/Online Learning

Options
  • 07-01-2016 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all,

Has anyone on here done the Hibernia Primary Post Grad whilst holding down a 9-5 job at the same time? If so, how did you find balancing work with the course? Did you find you didn't have enough time to put into assignments etc. Did it impact negatively on your final grade? I ask because I'm considering doing the course and - with financial concerns in mind - would like to have some kind of idea of how feasible it is to work whilst at the same time doing well/getting the most out of the two years. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How would you manage teaching practice? The other thing to consider is that you will find it very hard to get any form of long term subbing much less a permanent job when you finish, can you manage financially on what may be a day or two subbing here and there in the medium term?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoversRudie

How would you manage teaching practice?
    That's another thing to think about alright. I suppose the only way it could be managed is by having a highly benevolent employer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

And there's also the Gaeltacht to factor in

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

(writing from my father's account) Hi, I'm currently doing the course and am halfway through my second year. For the first 7 months I worked full time and studied but I found it really hard and decided to leave. I was coming home from work everyday to do a webinar, study or assignments and then was travelling for onsites on a Saturday. I was constantly tired. Over the 2 year course there is 20 weeks placement and 4 weeks in the Gaeltacht that you would need off work. I do know that there are others in the course who are working but for myself, I found it too tiring. I hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

(writing from my father's account)

Please don't do this. If you want to post on boards then please use or open your own account. Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement