Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beko dryer tripping RCD

Options
  • 07-01-2016 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Our Beko condenser dryer tripped the RCD last week. Prior to that it's never given any problems and filters etc are cleaned regularly. The RCD is tripping as soon as the dryer is plugged in.

I tried using an alternative socket for the dryer (no extension leads) and the same occurs. I confirmed the sockets work normally with other appliances e.g. kettle.

I bought a replacement mains filter, as I read online this is a common fault. Fitted the part today but no joy on a fix. Still doing the same; tripping RCD as soon as it's plugged in.

I disconnected both L and N terminals on the dryer On/Off switch so the only connections on the mains filter were L, N and Earth coming in and the Earth connections coming out. RCD still trips.

Can anyone offer some advice on what else I can try? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Does the flex on the machine look nicked anywhere?
    Any access to a megger or multimeter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

crasy dash wrote: »
    Does the flex on the machine look nicked anywhere?
    Any access to a megger or multimeter?

Only at the point it goes through the plastic mounting bracket (photos attached).

Have a multimeter.

As I disconnected the rest of the circuit from the mains filter, wouldn't this point to an issue with the flex?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

disconnect the filter in case its not connected correctly

meercat wrote: »
    disconnect the filter in case its not connected correctly

Tripping without filter connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Most likely water pooling inside the machine because something is leaking.

Remember, unlike vented dryers, condensers have water plumbing inside.

Are there any puddles ?

Unplug and tip the machine backwards slightly. If water pours out, you've a leaky condenser or the condensate pump hose has come off.

Make sure the access hatches are all properly sealed where you clean the heat exchanger.

Also, did anyone ever attempt to dry anything that was not spun dry? Dripping wet items are known to short out dryers as the drum isn't water tight and water can run into the electrical systems.

• Advertisement

any shorts between
    L-E
    L-N
    N-E

unplug and check the lead with nothing attached using your multimeter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I think I'd be cutting open the cable to see what's happening. The strain relief has really dug into the insulation deep. Combined with temperature and vibration anything is possible.

If you do need to shorten that flex make sure you can crimp a decent crimp terminal onto the wire as the current is pretty high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Have you checked the plugtop?

xband wrote: »
    Most likely water pooling inside the machine because something is leaking.

Remember, unlike vented dryers, condensers have water plumbing inside.

Are there any puddles ?

Unplug and tip the machine backwards slightly. If water pours out, you've a leaky condenser or the condensate pump hose has come off.

Make sure the access hatches are all properly sealed where you clean the heat exchanger.

Also, did anyone ever attempt to dry anything that was not spun dry? Dripping wet items are known to short out dryers as the drum isn't water tight and water can run into the electrical systems.

No water present. As the dryer hasn't been used in over a week, everything should be dry.
    meercat wrote: »
    any shorts between
    L-E
    L-N
    N-E

unplug and check the lead with nothing attached using your multimeter

Got no continuity between any of them.
    I think I'd be cutting open the cable to see what's happening. The strain relief has really dug into the insulation deep. Combined with temperature and vibration anything is possible.

If you do need to shorten that flex make sure you can crimp a decent crimp terminal onto the wire as the current is pretty high.

I think I only have ****ty spade connectors I got for replacing car speakers. I doubt they'll be suitable.
    Have you checked the plugtop?

Do you mean the pins on the plug? I've confirmed 13A fuse is OK. The plug is the sealed type.

plug the lead into another socket(bedroom)if it trips then most likely the lead alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

I'd be investigating around where the indent is on the outer sheath of the flex.

Looks to me a likely area of concern as maybe two cores are now shorting .

Connect your meter across the terminals wiggle it around and see if the meter reading fluctuates.

Just to confirm, flex still causing RCD trip using several different sockets

A megger is the only way to test for insulation breakdown.

If you are sure it's just the flex and not anything you may still have had connected to it, then the best thing to do is to replace the flex.

Failing that, cut off the plug and a few inches of flex, try it. If it still trips do the same at the other end. (Or do it the other way round).

Of course I'm assuming you did check for damage along the flex already.

A megger is the only way to test for insulation breakdown.

If you are sure it's just the flex and not anything you may still have had connected to it, then the best thing to do is to replace the flex.

Failing that, cut off the plug and a few inches of flex, try it. If it still trips do the same at the other end. (Or do it the other way round).

Of course I'm assuming you did check for damage along the flex already.

Definitely just the flex being plugged in (photo attached)

Have you examined the cable carefully along it's length, looking for burn marks, cuts, holes etc.?

Have you examined the cable carefully along it's length, looking for burn marks, cuts, holes etc.?

Yes. The only "damage" visible is the section through the strain relief. Photos posted earlier in thread.

So I replaced the plug with a spare I had lying around. This appears to have resolved the problem.

Tried the flex cable on several sockets and RCD is not tripping. I confirmed 230V at the terminal ends of the flex, so problem appears to be sorted.

Many thanks for all the help and advice. If only I had done this first before taking the dryer apart :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 barneycorp

kkelly77 wrote: »
    So I replaced the plug with a spare I had lying around. This appears to have resolved the problem.

Tried the flex cable on several sockets and RCD is not tripping. I confirmed 230V at the terminal ends of the flex, so problem appears to be sorted.

Many thanks for all the help and advice. If only I had done this first before taking the dryer apart :rolleyes:

Just had the same problem. Thanks. It was a faulty plug. 230 K ohms across live and neutral. Sealed plug. I have never seen that before. It is a beko dryer.

Advertisement