Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not moaning but really - insurance - 32y 14y driving 5y NCB

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

P_Cash wrote: »
    Insurance company's robbing us of our savings on the fuel costs, Sick of this country

Cash got no Cash

I feel your pain brother

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

P_Cash wrote: »
    Insurance company's robbing us of our savings on the fuel costs,

Sick of this country

It is indeed the most corrupt shambles of a country in the western world we are a more debt ridden version romania with an elite class of morons with illusions of grandeur they dot the i's and cross the t's to take money from the working and middle classes at every turn. This recovery is geared towards keeping the public in debt as a form of control and wealth for the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

ligertigon wrote: »
    Shunting flood losses to motor divisions?

There was up roar all this week that the companies won't insure people on flood plains. They can't claim massive losses from a sector they seemingly refuse to insure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Mine went up a 100% this year from 400 to 800 with similar circumstances to yourself, but yours seems crazy, I'll be back paying what I did when I was 18 shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

ligertigon wrote: »
    Or its a secret cartel.
    No I'm not joking

I don't it's that secret to be honest... Seems pretty obvious that's the case! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Bikerguy wrote: »
    guys long story short...

i am 32, full EU licence from 2001 - never involved in accident (car) - 5y NCB in Ireland, living in county Louth, i have motorbike (policy as well). And i ma living in Ireland 12y. my previous insurance was untill january this year, but i didnt renew... as i sold the car and i though i will get new one with new car... it was 590€ for nissan xtrail 2.2 diesel 2004 and hold on... this was together with my wife... yes we were paying 590 for 2 people .... and now i cant get anything bellow 2500 only for me... :(

Thinking to get a car

now BMW 520 - 2003 - the cheapest quote is 3340 third party fire and theft
    skoda 1.4 - 2004 - 2600€
    citroen 2006 - 1.4 - 2700€

I am not trying to be smart here, but can someone explain to me why is that?

i called allianz, liberty, axa, nonosence, aaa.... some of them didn't even want to quote me.

is there something i am missing? i am about to change my licence to irish, i have no problems to do that.. but that will not bring the insurance down to acceptable rate... which is about 500-600 for me...

can someone tell me why is that?

Don't know if I've all your details but 1200 from 25plus or 1100 for their basic offering on an xtrail with roughly what I could remember of your details. Very difficult to deal with over the phone simply as they never appear to have enough staff manning the phones (getting through). When you do get through they are fine to deal with. As with any insurer, read small print t&cs, etc... They are geared towards online mostly and indeed you may never have to deal with them over the phone as run of the mill stuff can be done through their online portal.

Underwritten by axa.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you had any claims with bike insurance, it will affect your car insurance as well.

Despite this, they won't give you any discount on car insuance for having bike experience. Liberty's 10% discount is merely for having another policy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

rex-x wrote: »
    My renewal went from 860 to 6500, yes Six thousand five hundred euro despite 9 years no claims and no points! They said they were not insuring "high performance cars"(over 170hp) anymore. Liberty btw

That's a load of BS from Liberty!

My renewal came in the post last week for the 350z - it's €837 (€811 last year but got them down to €700).

I'm surprised as I was expecting a big hike from reading online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

Having her as named driver should reduce the cost on a new policy and also naming you on her policy might reduce the cost on that

Have you tried the online sites for quotes

I know this works but what complete Bullsh!t to have to do this.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭druidstone

I can't believe how insurance companies treat their customers in this country!(Ireland) i am an Aussie where car insurance is not compulsory. My dad has never had car insurance in his life! (other than 3rd party property damage) cost around $80 per year. His motto is that if you worry about having an accident, it will make you have one.

How can he get away with no car insurance his whole life?

Australia has 3rd party injury insurance included as part of the vehicle registration (motor tax). It's about $60 added to the registration fee. It all goes into a government fund used to payout compensation to motor vehicle accident victims. This means that car insurance is not compulsory, which keeps the insurance companies honest. It's great, the insurance companies treat you like a VIP at all times! They are all competing for the business.
    I had no idea it was different elsewhere in the world until I moved to Ireland.

Insurance companies can scam people and rip them off because car insurance is compulsory here. I hope it changes real soon. No wonder so many are leaving Ireland for Australia. At least you can own a car very cheaply there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

druidstone wrote: »
    Australia has 3rd party injury insurance included as part of the vehicle registration (motor tax). It's about $60 added to the registration fee. It all goes into a government fund used to payout compensation to motor vehicle accident victims.
    Australian compensation for Whiplash as per government site:
    Whiplash/General Neck injuries ➢ $850 to $95,000
    In Ireland the starting amount would be about €14.000 for a minor complaints about pain in your neck. Slip on something? Well that's at least 14k EUR compensation assuming full recovery for pain and suffering (and salary compensation on top, oh and if you mention you're afraid of "insert reason" now you can get even more on top). Btw those rates are the government recommended injury board; take it to court and you can easily double or more on those numbers... If you get caught faking it? Well a slap on the wrist and the judge telling you that you are naughty and should not do it again (and if you do you'll get a suspended sentence at worst).

Start to see where the difference in cost is coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I can't believe how insurance companies treat their customers in this country!(Ireland) i am an Aussie where car insurance is not compulsory. My dad has never had car insurance in his life! (other than 3rd party property damage) cost around $80 per year. His motto is that if you worry about having an accident, it will make you have one.

Australia has 3rd party injury insurance included as part of the vehicle registration (motor tax). It's about $60 added to the registration fee. It all goes into a government fund used to payout compensation to motor vehicle accident victims. This means that car insurance is not compulsory, which keeps the insurance companies honest. It's great, the insurance companies treat you like a VIP at all times! They are all competing for the business.

Insurance companies can scam people and rip them off because car insurance is compulsory here. I hope it changes real soon. No wonder so many are leaving Ireland for Australia. At least you can own a car very cheaply there.

Familiarise yourself with the claims culture that we enjoy, embrace and promote in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

rex-x wrote: »
    My renewal went from 860 to 6500, yes Six thousand five hundred euro despite 9 years no claims and no points! They said they were not insuring "high performance cars"(over 170hp) anymore. Liberty btw

Jesus, it's a car your trying to insure not a Boeing 747.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I do think in Ireland the only way we will stop this insurance monopoly it has over car insurance is too move away from making it illegal to drive without insurance, these quotes are mental and to be honest, it's only going to spur a growth in more people driving without insurance.

I mean I drive a Toyota Corolla worth about 1000€ why? I have 3rd party insurance only, if it gets stolen etc.. I would pay it out myself, hell even if I had a 05 BMW I would more than likely go 3rd party to avoid giving them any reason to hike my price up. My insurance is only there in the event, I cause an absolutely serious incident.

My honest option, your not allowed have a nice car unless your rich, between taxes, insurance and the government vendetta with private cars.

TallGlass wrote: »
    I do think in Ireland the only way we will stop this insurance monopoly it has over car insurance is too move away from making it illegal to drive without insurance,

So you would be happy for an uninsured skanger to cause you injury and/or damage without any compensation available to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

So you would be happy for an uninsured skanger to cause you injury and/or damage without any compensation available to you?

Look again at the post above from our Aussie poster. Insurance is not conpulsary. Everybody that owns a car pays a small amount into a claims pot, ringfenced for car accidents

cletus wrote: »
    Look again at the post above from our Aussie poster. Insurance is not conpulsary. Everybody that owns a car pays a small amount into a claims pot, ringfenced for car accidents

The poster that I quoted only advocated that not having insurance no longer be illegal without proposing an alternative.

I am an admirer of the Australian system. However, you can't get away from the fact that paying a small amount in to a claims pot will only work if claims are low. In Ireland, we would need large contributions in to a massive pot to cover what we, as a people, consider to be our entitlement.

Whether you increase taxes, stick with insurance, include it in registration tax or add it to the cost of fuel, you cannot get away from the fact that the amount paid in HAS to equal the amount paid out. All of these systems would have running costs and, as insurers are currently making losses, the amount you would have to pay would need to be more than insurers are charging to balance the books

Lowering claim costs (genuine and fraudulent) is the only way premiums can come down and attract new insurers to a market most consider toxic

The poster that I quoted only advocated that not having insurance no longer be illegal without proposing an alternative.

I am an admirer of the Australian system. However, you can't get away from the fact that paying a small amount in to a claims pot will only work if claims are low. In Ireland, we would need large contributions in to a massive pot to cover what we, as a people, consider to be our entitlement.

Whether you increase taxes, stick with insurance, include it in registration tax or add it to the cost of fuel, you cannot get away from the fact that the amount paid in HAS to equal the amount paid out. All of these systems would have running costs and, as insurers are currently making losses, the amount you would have to pay would need to be more than insurers are charging to balance the books

Lowering claim costs (genuine and fraudulent) is the only way premiums can come down and attract new insurers to a market most consider toxic

You are probably right in the sense that whatever positive reforms would be introduced we'd find a way to screw it all up by not making necessary reforms in other essential areas, such as the legal profession and suchlike. We are here in Ireland masters of kneejerk reactions and never thinking things through, hence we always end up with solutions that in the end only serve to make the lucky few in the know profit short-term... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Lellostag wrote: »
    You are probably right in the sense that whatever positive reforms would be introduced we'd find a way to screw it all up by not making necessary reforms in other essential areas, such as the legal profession and suchlike. We are here in Ireland masters of kneejerk reactions and never thinking things through, hence we always end up with solutions that in the end only serve to make the lucky few in the know profit short-term... ;)
    Well let's put it this way; the government tried to fix it with the injury board which has utterly failed in doing anything but raise the cost. Hence given the option of having it in private hands or government hands I'd pick the private hands any day of the week; at least they are less likely to listen to the "think about the children" brigades of special interest when a new election is due (which in turn will be cheaper than the botched solution the government of any kind in Ireland would implement)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

I think given the Government is meeting the insurance industry on the flooding issue that we as "concerned car insurance price rise consumers" email our FG / Labour TD's to raise the issue with them in advance of their meeting.

I have just done this today and ask that you all raise the issue as it negates any gain received on the USC that the Government brought through from the budget.

If we don't start raising the issue now and accept the price rises (if we can pay them) then nothing will be done. This should be a major doorstep issue for any perspective re-election politician. The country is expensive enough with health and other insurance/charges.

• Advertisement

Agent_47 wrote: »
    I think given the Government is meeting the insurance industry on the flooding issue that we as "concerned car insurance price rise consumers" email our FG / Labour TD's to raise the issue with them in advance of their meeting.

I have just done this today and ask that you all raise the issue as it negates any gain received on the USC that the Government brought through from the budget.

If we don't start raising the issue now and accept the price rises (if we can pay them) then nothing will be done. This should be a major doorstep issue for any perspective re-election politician. The country is expensive enough with health and other insurance/charges.

Well said, couldn't agree more with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭druidstone

Nody wrote: »
    Australian compensation for Whiplash as per government site:

In Ireland the starting amount would be about €14.000 for a minor complaints about pain in your neck. Slip on something? Well that's at least 14k EUR compensation assuming full recovery for pain and suffering (and salary compensation on top, oh and if you mention you're afraid of "insert reason" now you can get even more on top). Btw those rates are the government recommended injury board; take it to court and you can easily double or more on those numbers... If you get caught faking it? Well a slap on the wrist and the judge telling you that you are naughty and should not do it again (and if you do you'll get a suspended sentence at worst).

Start to see where the difference in cost is coming from?

Hi Nody i think you have missed the point of my comment, the amount of compensation paid is irrelevant, my point is that car insurance is compulsory in Ireland and I believe thats why insurance companies treat their customers so badly and quote ridiculous prices for insurance premiums.
    Car insurance is not compulsory in Australia because there is already a 3rd party personal injury insurance included in the car registration (motor tax). It has nothing to do with the price of that insurance premium or the compensation payable.
    If the wallys in the Irish government who make the tax laws were not charging the Irish public twice for water charges (through motor tax since 1997, and also through a VAT increase) they would have more than enough money to set up an underwriter to provide the insurance necessary to cover the cost of personal injury claims without it costing the public any more. Motor Tax could easily collect 3rd party personal injury insurance premiums required, instead of collecting water charges for a 2nd time, and leave the water charges being collected through the VAT system, paying for water once is enough. If they used the same car insurance model as the Australian system, (regardless of the premium cost and compensation payout amounts) they could easily make car insurance in Ireland no longer compulsory, by including the 3rd party personal injury insurance component on the motor tax. insurance companies would have to work hard to attract clients and the public would be treated with respect by insurance companies like they do in Australia.
    If the wallys in the Irish government who gave the motorway income to an overseas company, instead of keeping it for the better of the Irish publich, the €80,000 per day collected in motorway tolls would be more than enough to cover the cost of 3rd party personal injury compensation. In fact, thats where the money should be coming from, from Motorway Tolls directly from each an every road users who are able to lodge a personal injury claim, which includes foreign drivers who dont' pay Motor Tax here. And if €80,000 per day was not enough to cover the cost of the insurance and compensation payouts, they could use part of the water charges already being collected for the 2nd time through Motor Tax.
    Insurance companies really treat their clients like VIPs in Australia, and thats the way it should be here too. That was my point. There is another way it can be done, if the politician wallys in Ireland bothered to looked after their people the way they should be rather than lining their own pockets. I have heard that the Irish President, or Tea-Chook, sorry for the Australian phonetic spelling but I don't know Irish language (yet) earns more money per year than the US President. Nice one Tea-Chook!
    The way car insurance is in Ireland at the moment, the insurance companies can fix the prices between themselves, and quote ridiculous prices for premiums because they can, there is effectively no competition because car insurance is compulsory. That was my point, my complaint has nothing at all to do with the amount of compensation paid out, my point was that car insurance being compulsory in Ireland so the insurance companies can treat the public how they like.
    Car insurance companies might tell you the insuranc premium cost is directly related to risk, but I think thats a load of bollox, there are far more car accidents in Australia than I have seen here in Ireland, ( i have never seen any in 3 years) I have noticed the drivers are way better over here, way more polite and courteous, in Australia you will never have somebody let you out onto the road if you are trying to pull out of a busy fuel station, or your inner-city home garage in heavy traffic. Or you will never have oncoming traffice letting you turn right at a cross road before they drive past you straight ahead. It happens here in Ireland all the time and I am always amazed how polite the drivers on the roads are here. (in Cork and Co. Cork, and Dublin, anyway) So i doubt if the car insurance premiums really are directly related to the number of claims and the actual risk. My point was that the cost of premiums is most likely so high because the car insurance is compulsory here and because of that, car insurance companies can treat the public however they like, most of the time treating them like dirt.
    It can be changed, but only if the Irish government begins to care about their people.
    That was my point, I hope the further explanation helps to make it clear to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

2.0 GTI here. Last year 489 this year 1360 with Chill which I haven't accepted yet. That's full NCB 42 years old. Said and I quote "you are lucky we are quoting at all and in a couple of years time it may be impossible to get quoted on that sort of car". As a comparison I have a 2013 Kawasaki ZZR 1400 which is the worlds fastest production bike and is circa 195 bhp and my yearly insurance is only 322 euro. Makes zero sense I can only guess it's s cosy cartel in operation with the cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Superhorse wrote: »
    2.0 GTI here. Last year 489 this year 1360 with Chill which I haven't accepted yet. That's full NCB 42 years old. Said and I quote "you are lucky we are quoting at all and in a couple of years time it may be impossible to get quoted on that sort of car". As a comparison I have a 2013 Kawasaki ZZR 1400 which is the worlds fastest production bike and is circa 195 bhp and my yearly insurance is only 322 euro. Makes zero sense I can only guess it's s cosy cartel in operation with the cars.

Bike insurance is cheaper because a bike cannot carry multiple passengers and because if a bike driver crashes its likely going to be them that's seriously injured or killed rather than those they crash into.

Motor bikes are a much lower third party risk which is why the insurance is much cheaper.

Cartel me bollox.

Hi Nody i think you have missed the point of my comment, the amount of compensation paid is irrelevant.

I did read your post in full, but it lost all credibility with your opening statement. Claims dictate premium. Also, if you think €80k a day would cover injury claims here, you're not being realistic.

Bottom line is that what people claim for in Australia appears to be vastly removed from what they claim for here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

That seems very strange to me. I insured my mitsubishi colt gl 1.3 1999 last August for €668.50 and my previous insurance the year before was €476 third party fire and theft with ARB Limited LLoyd's insurance. And I'm on a provisional license. I have 6 years no claims bonus and have had no claims or penalty points, so I cannot understand how you are getting those quotes.

Try the one I'm with and see what quote they give you... ARB Underwriting Limited LLoyd's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, your quotes make absolutely no sense. I've zero no claims bonus, 21, have my license a year and a half, wasn't named driver for a full year so it didn't get considered, insuring a 1.4 Fiesta. I was quoted €2150 from CoverInAClick, and €2185 from First. Still a lot of money considering I was quoted €1600 on a provisonal license 2/3 years ago. How is it that you have to pay more than me in every quote you get? There has to be something up with your application.

I strongly suspect Liberty aren't doing well. They won't insure cars over 15 years of age, they are refusing a heap of other cars and they're quoting the ones they do a huge amount of money. They quoted me almost 7 grand. Unless they cop on a bit, I can't see them lasting.

Hi Nody i think you have missed the point of my comment, the amount of compensation paid is irrelevant, my point is that car insurance is compulsory in Ireland and I believe thats why insurance companies treat their customers so badly and quote ridiculous prices for insurance premiums.
    Cost of insurance premiums is directly connected to the cost of an accident and the premiums paid out.
    Car insurance is not compulsory in Australia because there is already a 3rd party personal injury insurance included in the car registration (motor tax). It has nothing to do with the price of that insurance premium or the compensation payable.
    Actually you can be sure it has a connection because if the premium is not covered the state has to cover the difference; does the Australian state have a couple of billions lying around to throw in for fun if they don't tax enough?
    If the wallys in the Irish government who make the tax laws were not charging the Irish public twice for water charges (through motor tax since 1997, and also through a VAT increase) they would have more than enough money to set up an underwriter to provide the insurance necessary to cover the cost of personal injury claims without it costing the public any more.
    Except all that money is already covered for other parts of the budget; so to get this money freed up they would need to up the costs to cover it (this is before the fact no money is allowed to be ring fenced in the budget so they are not legally allowed to state that the money will only cover the insurance premiums).
    Motor Tax could easily collect 3rd party personal injury insurance premiums required, instead of collecting water charges for a 2nd time, and leave the water charges being collected through the VAT system, paying for water once is enough. If they used the same car insurance model as the Australian system, (regardless of the premium cost and compensation payout amounts) they could easily make car insurance in Ireland no longer compulsory, by including the 3rd party personal injury insurance component on the motor tax.
    And this additional tax would still need to cover actual costs which with today's insurance companies (which are private entities and focus on making a profit vs. the quangos who are not) making a loss means that tax would be higher than today's insurance premium for third party & theft (it's the third party that's really expensive).
    insurance companies would have to work hard to attract clients and the public would be treated with respect by insurance companies like they do in Australia.
    Which does not change the simple fact that the full insurance premium today would still be paid with an additional on top for being a government quango on top of it all.
    If the wallys in the Irish government who gave the motorway income to an overseas company, instead of keeping it for the better of the Irish publich, the €80,000 per day collected in motorway tolls would be more than enough to cover the cost of 3rd party personal injury compensation.
    Beyond the fact they sold it to get money, let's review that 80k x 356 is a bit below 28.5 MM a year. Now look at table 15 of the 2014 insurance statistics for vehicles. Total claims paid in 2014 were 1,014,532,000 EUR. That's just above a billion euro. So the difference between what was actually paid out (1.014 billion) and the 28.5 million of the road tax has to be covered by the drivers and that's before we start adding overheads for the people who're to manage this process etc. So if we take the difference of 985 MM and split that over the number of new cars in 2014 listed as 96,338 that means every new car has to have an additional premium of 10.3k EUR. How many cars do you think would sell if they had an additional premium of 10.3k EUR on top of them? For many cars that would be a 50% increase or more and that means the actual premium would be even higher as the cars sold would go down...

Now instead let's split that on existing cars; we have to go with 2013 data here with Mechanically Propelled Vehicles under Current Licence which lists as 1,910,165 (I'd say the actual number is most likely lower but we'll run with this). This means each vehicle would be taxed an additional 516 EUR a year before overheads so round it to an additional 600 EUR (if very optimistic) a year purely for third party on average and no additional benefits such as NCB etc. That's pretty much what's being paid today and that's assuming a 14% overhead cost which is most likely way to low as it's about 30% below what the insurance pay in management cost alone).

So now you might start to grasp why the payout amount is paramount to be addressed if the system is to be fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

In the same boat here.

Last year my insurance dropped to €386. Got my renewal quote last week and this year it's up to €642. I replied asking why, to which I got a phone call from some chap saying he can give it to me for around 600. I asked why it had gone up this much (I knew there would be an increase of some sort), but he couldn't really explain anything to me.
    Told him I'd get back to him and went to check other prices online.

Nothing under 700 quoted and the lowest was for much lesser packages with no, no-claims protection. To get something comparable to what I have at the moment, I'm getting quoted over €1k.

Funny thing is online I can't even get a quote from AXA or AA. Can't understand why..

My details - 33yo Male. Full licence for 10 years. No-Claims of 6 years (I assume it gets capped at 6 years cause I've never once had a claim), No points.
    Car is a 2005 Hyundai Coupe, 1.6 Petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It's a completely ridiculous situation. Every year, I manage to get a decent price on my policy and my wifes policy. They usually quote renewal at circa €600 (31yro 7yrs ncb full irish 8 yrs & no points in a 1.6 zafira).

Online quote with Liberty was €936 (current insurer). Everywhere was over €600, including the AA who quoted 677 and after some haggling, dropped below the renewal of €575 to €550 and added a stepback ncb on the fully comp policy.

I rang Liberty who were totally unhelpful. No explanation about increase from €420 last year. Not willing to drop anything off when I explained that I was getting a better policy for a lower price. He said, and I quote "the price is all built into the package and you get your personal accident cover with that". I actually had to argue that they only give €6,500 PA cover, where I was being offered €75,000 PA cover with Aviva via AA. Like talking to a zombie tbh :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

goz83 wrote: »
    It's a completely ridiculous situation. Every year, I manage to get a decent price on my policy and my wifes policy. They usually quote renewal at circa €600 (31yro 7yrs ncb full irish 8 yrs & no points in a 1.6 zafira).

Online quote with Liberty was €936 (current insurer). Everywhere was over €600, including the AA who quoted 677 and after some haggling, dropped below the renewal of €575 to €550 and added a stepback ncb on the fully comp policy.

I rang Liberty who were totally unhelpful. No explanation about increase from €420 last year. Not willing to drop anything off when I explained that I was getting a better policy for a lower price. He said, and I quote "the price is all built into the package and you get your personal accident cover with that". I actually had to argue that they only give €6,500 PA cover, where I was being offered €75,000 PA cover with Aviva via AA. Like talking to a zombie tbh :mad:

To be fair to them, i do feel very sorry for the agents. Having spent a few years in a call center environment its extremely tough trying to justify decisions you have not made but are getting lambasted for for 8 hours a day.

Compliance and the CPC has pretty much made everything scripted so they have to follow the prescribed templates to the letter.

Not easy so I'd ask people to not be too hard on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Axa Quoted me this for Renewal being a customer for 7yrs :mad:

2008 Seat Leon Tdi
    7yrs NCB
    No Points

€770 Fully Comp :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Axa Quoted me this for Renewal being a customer for 7yrs :mad:

2008 Seat Leon Tdi
    7yrs NCB
    No Points

€770 Fully Comp :rolleyes:
    This is a step in the right direction for you mentally.
    Repeat slowly, Loyalty does not pay in the insurance game.
    Always shop around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Repeat slowly, Loyalty does not pay in the insurance game.

Learned that today.... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I find it astonishing that no-one in government has said a word regarding the NCT and insurance companies refusal to quote folk of 15 year old vehicles. This is why my insurance went up they told me because my car is over 15 years old. 8 insurance companies wouldn't even quote me last August because my car is un-roadworthy they say via e-mail even though I have a certificate of roadworthyness from the NCT.

Rediculous carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I find it astonishing that no-one in government has said a word regarding the NCT and insurance companies refusal to quote folk of 15 year old vehicles. This is why my insurance went up they told me because my car is over 15 years old. 8 insurance companies wouldn't even quote me last August because my car is un-roadworthy they say via e-mail even though I have a certificate of roadworthyness from the NCT.

Rediculous carry on.

They are going to have a horrific time on the doorsteps, irish water, runaway costs of running an older car, having health insurance, "highly educated net contributor refugees grateful for a safe haven LOL", USC, dire planning and regulation failures in housing, emigration and the prohibitive cost of returning...

Just heard some talking head saying that the government couldn't do anything regarding insurance.
    This is going to become a huge issue now with flooding and motor insurance being hiked or unavailable.
    Abdication of responsibility cannot be allowed by the Goverment, I would urge everyone that has been affected to contact their TD. Without making them aware of this issue (in an election year) nothing will be done.
    There is a solution but the politicians have to act and if they aren't aware then they can't act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There is a solution but the politicians have to act and if they aren't aware then they can't act.

They're well aware of the situation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

smash wrote: »
    They're well aware of the situation!

Yes, they are... but they will ignore it for as long as they don't hear any complaints. Its a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Every time I turn on the radio I hear about the flooding insurance issue, but bad and all as that is Home insurance is not compulsory.
    Motor insurance is compulsory so the authorities do have a certain obligation towards motorists. A car is a necessity for many in Ireland due to a lack of public transportation and poor planning which are/were the governments responsibility.
    The least the government can do is make sure people can get from A to B at a reasonable cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

hi5 wrote: »
    Yes, they are... but they will ignore it for as long as they don't hear any complaints. Its a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Every time I turn on the radio I hear about the flooding insurance issue, but bad and all as that is Home insurance is not compulsory.
    Motor insurance is compulsory so the authorities do have a certain obligation towards motorists. A car is a necessity for many in Ireland due to a lack of public transportation and poor planning which are/were the governments responsibility.
    The least the government can do is make sure people can get from A to B at a reasonable cost.

The only way to do it is to move to a compulsory 3rd party insurance system run by the state. Then if you want to insure the vehicle you take out private insurance. And that's not going to happen.

smash wrote: »
    The only way to do it is to move to a compulsory 3rd party insurance system run by the state. Then if you want to insure the vehicle you take out private insurance. And that's not going to happen.

There is only one thing more terrifying than state endorsed weakly regulated industry.... A state endorsed quango taking over the responsibility. I really don't know if there is any hope for a fair deal in Ireland.

I really don't know if there is any hope for a fair deal in Ireland.

Probably not... :rolleyes:

Just heard some talking head saying that the government couldn't do anything regarding insurance.

Yeah, I can't understand that either. Surely they have some say about for example the Injuries Board, which by all accounts is part responsible for what quite obviously is excessive compensations...? :confused:

They could also follow the Australian way of motor insurance, just as an example, so saying they can't do anything about insurance is just plain bollix. :mad:

Then again, this current government, just like previous ones and no doubt future ones, have a very poor track recored in making any useful reforms, so there's probably very little hope of anything improving anytime soon...

Yeah, I can't understand that either. Surely they have some say about for example the Injuries Board, which by all accounts is part responsible for what quite obviously is excessive compensations...? :confused:

They could also follow the Australian way of motor insurance, just as an example, so saying they can't do anything about insurance is just plain bollix. :mad:

Then again, this current government, just like previous ones and no doubt future ones, have a very poor track recored in making any useful reforms, so there's probably very little hope of anything improving anytime soon...

As worked up as I get about insurance, there are so many things fundamentally wrong in this country that are more pressing than car insurance. The health and justice systems for a start, and a complete lack of accountancy for major flaws in planning and regulation of housing.

As worked up as I get about insurance, there are so many things fundamentally wrong in this country that are more pressing than car insurance. The health and justice systems for a start, and a complete lack of accountancy for major flaws in planning and regulation of housing.

You are of course right, insurance is just one issue in a long line of areas needing to be completely reformed. Will it ever happen? Not a chance! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pick your battles, I agree that there is huge problems but Car insurance is one that is fixable in the short term.
    Health and justice probably not in my lifetime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Bike insurance is cheaper because a bike cannot carry multiple passengers and because if a bike driver crashes its likely going to be them that's seriously injured or killed rather than those they crash into.

Motor bikes are a much lower third party risk which is why the insurance is much cheaper.

Cartel me bollox.

I think Cartel is only for cars not men's testicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Is it new year and new insurance hike, because **** you thats why?
    my insurance went up by €11, despite them paying out 7k to replace my 9000km engine due to contaminated fuel. 291 fully comp Full NCB protection with Aviva, just saying like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

You are of course right, insurance is just one issue in a long line of areas needing to be completely reformed. Will it ever happen? Not a chance! :rolleyes:

Enda Kenny met with the 7 main house insurance companies today to sort something out. I wonder would he do it with Motor insurance?

Jesus. wrote: »
    Enda Kenny met with the 7 main house insurance companies today to sort something out. I wonder would he do it with Motor insurance?

I wouldn't hold my breath...

• Advertisement
Advertisement