If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k Tv help needed.

Options
  • 08-01-2016 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I will be purchasing a new tv at the end of this month/start of next month.

Budget €1200 - €1600

What I am looking for:

55inch
    Soarview
    Freeview/Freesat
    HDCP 2.2
    Minimum 120Hz
    4k-60hz 4:4:4 RGB
    3D (Passive preferably or active if ya throw 4 pairs of glasses in  :)   )
    Low input lag.

The input lag is extremely important as I am a big gamer and not only will my consoles be hooked up to this, but my Gaming PC will be used as the central media hub. I am looking for something that has low input lag even when the tv is not in Game mode as those modes shut down all the best features of the tv, like video processing etc. So I would hope for Game mode be in the 20ms range or lower and when not in Game mode somewhere in the 50ms range or below would be acceptable.

Regards,

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

I will be purchasing a new tv at the end of this month/start of next month.

Budget €1200 - €1600

What I am looking for:

55inch
    Soarview
    Freeview/Freesat
    HDCP 2.2
    Minimum 120Hz
    4k-60hz 4:4:4 RGB
    3D (Passive preferably or active if ya throw 4 pairs of glasses in  :)   )
    Low input lag.

The input lag is extremely important as I am a big gamer and not only will my consoles be hooked up to this, but my Gaming PC will be used as the central media hub. I am looking for something that has low input lag even when the tv is not in Game mode as those modes shut down all the best features of the tv, like video processing etc. So I would hope for Game mode be in the 20ms range or lower and when not in Game mode somewhere in the 50ms range or below would be acceptable.

Regards,
    Hi Irish 0s1r1s.

Have  a heck over these screen and see if any would suit.

One of our most popular screens the Sony KD55X8509 priced at 1349.00 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201404-bravia-kd55x8509cbu.aspx
    Is active 3D however and unfortunately I could not throw in any free glasses.
    This does have a Sat turn built in but is not freesat registered so the EPG may not show in full.

Samsung UE55JU7000 priced at 1569.99 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201232-ue55ju7000.aspx
    Freesat approved.
    Running Active 3D

A little over budget would be the LG 55UF950 priced at 1999.00 Euro
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201246-55uf950v.aspx
    Again has a freesat tuner but is not Freesat registered so again so issues may happen with the EPG.
    Operates on Passive 3D

You could drop to a 48" and go for the 48JS8500 priced at 1699.00 Euro 
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-201286-ue48js8500.aspx
    Freesat approved with full EPG.
    Also operating on Active 3D.

If you could make the journey to our Belfast store there may be others that can be collected but not shipped.

Let me know what you think.
    Any questions please drop me a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

May I ask why you are worried about the a 4k TV performance for gaming when no console can output at 4K as they are not powerful enough. If anthing 1080p console games will look worse on a 4k screen than a standard 1080p HDTV as the images will look jaggier. It like watching DVDs on newer TVs, they look worse as the new TVs can show up all the detail they are lacking, same with games.

Personally you are wasting money buy a 4k screen for gaming unless it's hooked up to your gaming PC as that's the only thing that can output in 4k for the near future.

May I ask why you are worried about the a 4k TV performance for gaming when no console can output at 4K as they are not powerful enough. If anthing 1080p console games will look worse on a 4k screen than a standard 1080p HDTV as the images will look jaggier. It like watching DVDs on newer TVs, they look worse as the new TVs can show up all the detail they are lacking, same with games.

Personally you are wasting money buy a 4k screen for gaming unless it's hooked up to your gaming PC as that's the only thing that can output in 4k for the near future.
    Hi Captain Chaos.

Thanks for your input.

I don't see any mention of Irish being worried regarding 4K performance for gaming. The questions in hand is regarding input lag for gaming and which screens I would recommend for him.
    When it comes to image everyone is very different and sees detail and colour in different ways. I have connected by PS4 up to many of the screens we display in store and the 1080 image is just as good on 4K screens as LED ones if not slightly more detailed. The best I have seen yet is it connected to a 4K OLED LG and the picture was mind blowing!! (Fallout 4, Dying Light, Drive and Need For Speed all tested).
    If used for PC gaming depending on the spec of your PC the processing power of a PC would give an even better image as a 4K screens can handle a higher resolution, allowing the PC to output at a higher resolution. Even on a non 4K PC. PC graphic cards can handle much much more over a console. 4K resolution is 3840 pixels x 2160 pixels.
    Some PCs can run at 1792 x 1344 or 1800 x 1440 even 1920 x 1440 all of which can not be displayed on a 1080p screen or monitor.

However this is all my opinion and formed from trial and error as I too have been looking for some time now to replace my 8 year old Pioneer Plasma and for what I'm after (Including gaming) the OLED looks the ticket.

I do agree that some LED screens can show up imperfections when watching DVD but that is because the quality of a DVD and the cameras used to shoot these are only 720x576 or 720x480. With LED using more pixels that ever before old footage will tend to get grainy.
    Even some Bluray movies with lots of special effects look like the effect have been stuck in as the screen is too detailed.
    I guess its just how far technology has progressed over the years and unfortunately shows up any imperfections that may have been at time of shooting or at time of print. There are several movies in which the print lets in down big time, I Robot for one.

4K is already being broadcast/streamed via Sky and BT with Virgin to follow soon, while it is small amounts it is starting to show its face.
    It can also be viewed if you have a Netflix UHD account or the same via Amazon prime.
    Youtube also has lots of 4K videos and demos to view.

Panasonic and the rest of the market leaders hope to have 4K bluray out in the coming months. Pana had original thought Christmas but have been delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭IRISH OS1R1S

I can assure you this is not true. I have seen consoles running on 4k TV's and in most cases they look better, albeit just slightly, but definitely better. Granted your opinion may be true for lower standard SD images, like DVD or standard def cable feeds etc, they do tend to suffer from the extra resolution, but still aren't terrible.

My PC already does 4k and does it well, but I'm using a gaming monitor and games look amazing. Why am I worried about 4k? Because I use it currently. I now want to put a Gaming rig in the living room and have it hooked up to a large 4k TV. It will be getting 4k feeds from my PC and also I will be somewhat futureproof for a few years.

Regards.

Hi Captain Chaos.

Thanks for your input.

I don't see any mention of Irish being worried regarding 4K performance for gaming. The questions in hand is regarding input lag for gaming and which screens I would recommend for him.
    When it comes to image everyone is very different and sees detail and colour in different ways. I have connected by PS4 up to many of the screens we display in store and the 1080 image is just as good on 4K screens as LED ones if not slightly more detailed. The best I have seen yet is it connected to a 4K OLED LG and the picture was mind blowing!! (Fallout 4, Dying Light, Drive and Need For Speed all tested).
    If used for PC gaming depending on the spec of your PC the processing power of a PC would give an even better image as a 4K screens can handle a higher resolution, allowing the PC to output at a higher resolution. Even on a non 4K PC. PC graphic cards can handle much much more over a console. 4K resolution is 3840 pixels x 2160 pixels.
    Some PCs can run at 1792 x 1344 or 1800 x 1440 even 1920 x 1440 all of which can not be displayed on a 1080p screen or monitor.

However this is all my opinion and formed from trial and error as I too have been looking for some time now to replace my 8 year old Pioneer Plasma and for what I'm after (Including gaming) the OLED looks the ticket.

I do agree that some LED screens can show up imperfections when watching DVD but that is because the quality of a DVD and the cameras used to shoot these are only 720x576 or 720x480. With LED using more pixels that ever before old footage will tend to get grainy.
    Even some Bluray movies with lots of special effects look like the effect have been stuck in as the screen is too detailed.
    I guess its just how far technology has progressed over the years and unfortunately shows up any imperfections that may have been at time of shooting or at time of print. There are several movies in which the print lets in down big time, I Robot for one.

4K is already being broadcast/streamed via Sky and BT with Virgin to follow soon, while it is small amounts it is starting to show its face.
    It can also be viewed if you have a Netflix UHD account or the same via Amazon prime.
    Youtube also has lots of 4K videos and demos to view.

Panasonic and the rest of the market leaders hope to have 4K bluray out in the coming months. Pana had original thought Christmas but have been delayed.

The LG ans Sony TV you suggested is getting a lot of complaints on the forums regarding input lag so that means they are not an option. The JS8500 is nice, but is over my budget.

The Samsung JU7000 looks like it could be a good option. Does it come with 3D  glasses? I need 4 3D glasses for the family, is there anything you could do for me on that front?. Have you any info or gaming experience using it? Is its input lag ok and/or what would be my options if it turned out to be an issue for me if I buy it?

Regards.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Irish,

I've no personal experience of gaming using the JU7000 series and Sammy don't publish their input lag stats - its actually difficult to get a firm figure but the 48" JU7000 appears by common consent to be 27Ms which is fairly hot for a mid-range unit so I would assume that the 55" shares this spec.

On the Glasses front - the JU7000 does not come including glasses and unfortunately the margin is too tight to throw them in..

Apologies again for the delay getting back to you and please don't hesitate to drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

Best regards,

John Mc & crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Irish,

I've no personal experience of gaming using the JU7000 series and Sammy don't publish their input lag stats - its actually difficult to get a firm figure but the 48" JU7000 appears by common consent to be 27Ms which is fairly hot for a mid-range unit so I would assume that the 55" shares this spec.

On the Glasses front - the JU7000 does not come including glasses and unfortunately the margin is too tight to throw them in..

Apologies again for the delay getting back to you and please don't hesitate to drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

Best regards,

John Mc & crew 
    No problems and thank you for the reply. I think I may go for the 55" JU7000, but might leave it until March or April when the new models come out. Hopefully is will see a further price drop which will allow my budget to buy some glasses too.

Many thanks,

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Irish,

Best regards,

John Mc & crew 
    No problems and thank you for the reply. I think I may go for the 55" JU7000, but might leave it until March or April when the new models come out. Hopefully is will see a further price drop which will allow my budget to buy some glasses too.

Many thanks,
    No worries and don't forget to keep you eye on the Samsung UE55JU7000 on the website here:
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201232-ue55ju7000.aspx

...we do check and update the TV pricing daily so its worth bookmarking it in case there is some price activity ;)

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Irish,

Best regards,

John Mc & crew 

Many thanks,
    No worries and don't forget to keep you eye on the Samsung UE55JU7000 on the website here:

...we do check and update the TV pricing daily so its worth bookmarking it in case there is some price activity ;)

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    Yes I will do. I already bought an amp and speakers this month and will def use you guys for the Tv purchase. I used to work in retail selling home entertainment electronics so am all too aware of the impending price drops to come. I will wait anxiously.   :D

Irish,

Best regards,

John Mc & crew 

Many thanks,

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 
    Yes I will do. I already bought an amp and speakers this month and will def use you guys for the Tv purchase. I used to work in retail selling home entertainment electronics so am all too aware of the impending price drops to come. I will wait anxiously.   :D
    Hey Irish Os1r1s.

No problem at all.

Let us know if anything catches your eye over the coming weeks/months :)

• Advertisement

This sounds like the perfect TV (JU7000) for my needs. Hopefully a price drop soon ;)

Sorry if a stupid question but would the 3D glasses you get at the cinema work with the TV?

Thanks

This sounds like the perfect TV (JU7000) for my needs. Hopefully a price drop soon ;)

Sorry if a stupid question but would the 3D glasses you get at the cinema work with the TV?

Thanks
    No they will not. The cinema uses passive (superior 3d) . This tv uses active 3d, more expensive glasses for less quality. This tv is amazing, but hold out for a price drop or a newer model that uses passive 3d (highly unlikely from Samsung) . This TV is awesome, but if you want 3d hold out imo.

This TV is still the best of the best available. It does everything amazing, including 3D, but the 3D could be better. Overall this is an amazing tv. Expect to spend an extra €100 minimum on glasses if you want 3d.

Thanks
    Hi Cactus Mac88.

As Irish Os1r1s mentions above the Samsung operates on active 3D where as the cinema operates on passive.
    There are passive screens out there but Samsung tend to only use Active for their 3D.

Active does give a better depth of field when viewing 3D but the glasses can cost from £30 up to around £60/£70 per pair.

Hope this helps straightens things out.

Any questions drop me a post.

I had been

Thanks
    Hi Cactus Mac88.

As Irish Os1r1s mentions above the Samsung operates on active 3D where as the cinema operates on passive.
    There are passive screens out there but Samsung tend to only use Active for their 3D.

Active does give a better depth of field when viewing 3D but the glasses can cost from £30 up to around £60/£70 per pair.

I had been keeping track of the Samsung UE55JU7000 with a hope to buy it within the next month, but it appears to be gone from your website. Do you still have it, will it be listed on your website again?

Regards.

Hi  Irish Os1r1s.

It has been removed for the meantime as stock is mega tight on these and Samsung are currently struggling to keep up with demand.

It has been moved to an instore only purchase and would need collected from the Belfast store.

Priced up at £1099.00 - Includes 6 year guarantee.

I had been

Thanks
    Hi Cactus Mac88.

I had been keeping track of the Samsung UE55JU7000 with a hope to buy it within the next month, but it appears to be gone from your website. Do you still have it, will it be listed on your website again?

Regards.

That is
    Hi  Irish Os1r1s.

It has been removed for the meantime as stock is mega tight on these and Samsung are currently struggling to keep up with demand.

It has been moved to an instore only purchase and would need collected from the Belfast store.

I had been

Thanks
    Hi Cactus Mac88.

Regards.
    Thanks for the swift reply Kenny.
    That is disappointing to hear. Sadly I have no way of getting it from Belfast.
    Do you think there would be a possibility of it going back on the site or no?

Regards.

That is
    Hi  Irish Os1r1s.

I had been

Thanks
    Hi Cactus Mac88.

Regards.

Regards.
    Hi Irish OS1r1s.

If stock levels improve it should hopefully go back up on our website.

Unfortunately I could not even take a guess as to when this may happen.

No proble
    That is
    Hi  Irish Os1r1s.

I had been

Thanks
    Hi Cactus Mac88.

Regards.

Regards.
    Hi Irish OS1r1s.

No problem. I will keep an eye out for it.
    Thanks again.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

No proble
    That is
    Hi  Irish Os1r1s.

I had been

Thanks
    Hi Cactus Mac88.

Regards.

Regards.
    Hi Irish OS1r1s.

No problem. I will keep an eye out for it.
    Thanks again.
    no probs, we will keep you posted if/when we hear anything at this end

Brian

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.