Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with overcharging, bills and leaving Eircom

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭eir: Ciara

soups05 wrote: »
    ok, a quick update on this, i received a text on July 1st to confirm my refund would be with me in 10 days, actually i received 6 of them in 3 mins but aside from that, this is the same text i received on the 1st april so am not gonna hold me breath.

then on july 4th i received 2 texts saying my usage on the account was too high and another demanding payment of €124 to avoid disconnection. As far as I am aware eir cannot now disconnect me as i am with sky, of course i may be wrong.

and the final insult?

i received an email bill from eir for €201 today 
    Hi Soups05,

Thank you for getting in touch :) I am very sorry to hear that this has happened.

Can you PM me your account number and I will check this out for you? 

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

hi Ciara

pm sent, hopefully you will be able to address some of the issues raised here

hi Ciara

pm sent, hopefully you will be able to address some of the issues raised here
    Hi Soups05,

I have responded to your PM.

Kind Regards,
    Ciara.

ok, a quick update on this, i received a text on July 1st to confirm my refund would be with me in 10 days, actually i received 6 of them in 3 mins but aside from that, this is the same text i received on the 1st april so am not gonna hold me breath.

then on july 4th i received 2 texts saying my usage on the account was too high and another demanding payment of €124 to avoid disconnection. As far as I am aware eir cannot now disconnect me as i am with sky, of course i may be wrong.

and the final insult?

so it is now the 18th and still no cheque. but i did receive a "polite reminder" text from eir to let me know my bill is overdue.

at what point is this considered harassment?   

and the final insult?

so it is now the 18th and still no cheque. but i did receive a "polite reminder" text from eir to let me know my bill is overdue.

at what point is this considered harassment?   
    Hi Soups05,

I have responded to your PM.

-Ciara

• Advertisement

ah yes, the pm from 3 weeks ago, where you advised that i should ring the customer (don't ) care team. which i did, and was advised that the email bill and text regarding over due amount had been sent in error and i should just ignore them.

well that worked a treat....not.

A quick update on this, still no cheque of course, contacted comreg who advised I file a formal complaint via ccm@eir.ie  which I have just done.

If this ever gets resolved I will update this thread.  

Another update, two emails received in response to my complaint. One says they will contact me in ten days, the other within two days. In the end it took 6 days for the next email.
    That email informs me that a rep will be in touch shortly to discuss this. DISCUSS.....hhhmmmm. That would seem to mean that they would talk to and listen to me. Despite the fact that i clearly stated in the complaint that verbal communication was no longer acceptable due to their repeated broken promises and lies.

oh, and another gentle reminder from eir today via text regarding my bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mnolan198

hi, sorry for the long story but this issue seems to be complicated from Eir's point of view. I have been an Eircom customer at my current address for appox ten years as far I remember. I upgraded my account from the 7 mb unlimited to the Fibre unlimited when that service reached our area. However around 12/14 months later I discovered that I was being charged €16 per month for going over my internet usage cap. 

I contacted customer support and upon investigation the lady on the phone agreed that it was an obvious error on their part as I was moved from unlimited broadband to limited fibre, but was being charged for the unlimited fibre and also being charged for the extra usage.

she assured me she would be able to sort it out and my refund would be applied on the next bill or possibly the bill after that.

both of these bills, while not charging for excess usage, did not contain a credit or refund. I contacted phone support again but without the name of the original support person, no reference number etc I was unable to make any head way.

frustrated with this lack of customer care I opted to leave Eircom and therefore checked with phone support if my account was in contract or not. By this time the contract period had expired so I requested termination of my account and a final bill.

I then contacted a rival company and arranged broadband with them, they took over my line and sent me a new modem and I awaited a final bill from Eircom. I checked with phone support and asked if I needed to return the modem but was told no.

that was Aug 15. In oct I received my bill for €187. This included broadband for Aug,Sept and Oct plus line rental etc. Shortly after my wife received a call from a rep,advising that the bill needed to be paid or my service would be cut off. While I discuss everything with my wife I am sure that the rep discussing my account with anyone other than me is a serious breach of data protection. The rep informed her that we would need to pay the outstanding bill and he would then organise a refund for us.

I emailed support as I had no wish to be fobbed off with verbal promises which never come true...again.   "Jason" responded to inform me that my acc was cancelled on 30/10/15 and that all cancellations must be done in writing, again this is not what I had been informed of in Aug when I was told on the phone that I could cancel with immediate effect.

I then received another email with my final bill of €21.72. Relived to be free of this company I elected to not dispute the refund and merely pay the bill, however my Eircom account is now closed and I cannot pay it online, I have no faith in the phone(y) customer support so I have no intention of giving them my card details to make the payment.

Meanwhile I have received a further 2 bills,both in the amount of €81.71 which I have no means of checking or paying as the account is closed.

I would like to request a review of my account going back to before the upgrade in order to verify that I was indeed overcharged for more than a year, I would then like that amount refunded to me, I would also like a proper,itemised final bill, one which I can pay either online or at a post office. 

I would also like certain unspeakable things done to that cheeky rep who breached data protection but I am confident someone of his calibre has long since been fired.   

one final point, it is a source of great irony and frustration that a COMMUNICATIONS company has such poor communications and that your online chat facility has been offline since at least last Aug.  
    Hi Doesnt surprise me at all. one of the most incompetent Companies I have ever had dealings with.

so its now been a week and still no more contact, except of course for ANOTHER bill for €201 for a service i left a year ago.

on the plus side they have earned a years worth of bad mouthing from me any time someone talks about broadband.  Considering I am back in college in sept that's going to be a lot of people who will hear about this disgrace. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

so its now been a week and still no more contact, except of course for ANOTHER bill for €201 for a service i left a year ago.

on the plus side they have earned a years worth of bad mouthing from me any time someone talks about broadband.  Considering I am back in college in sept that's going to be a lot of people who will hear about this disgrace. 
    Echos of a dispute i had with them in the past. 

It ended up with solicitors letters demanding payment. Debt collection companies etc. Never paid them a cent. Thats about 4 or 5 years ago now. 

Shocking company when there's a problem. E mobile still hold the proud title of the worst company ive ever dealt with.

if it was just a bill i did not owe that would be one thing, but they owe ME  money. a year later and i am still trying to get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

if it was just a bill i did not owe that would be one thing, but they owe ME  money. a year later and i am still trying to get it back
    In my case I had an email from a member of their own staff which basically fully confirmed my side of the argument. They never even acknowledged its receipt. 

Good luck with getting what you are owed! You never know i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Absolute shocking behaviour. Do not let them away with this, word of mouth is a great tool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

if there's one story that says stay clear of Eir, its this thread. 

And I am back, with yet another update. I received no further contact so I passed the information onto Comreg. They responded today at 1230 and promised to contact Eir.

I got a phone call from a private number at 3.33. I rejected the call as I have previously warned eircom i will no longer listen to their lies from customer reps and prefer all communication to be written. Two mins later i get a text asking me to confirm non receipt of the cheque yet again and also to confirm my address, which has not changed in 11 years. again they had no problem with my address when sending out bills.

hopefully with comreg involved this will be sorted soon.     

and at last a proper response to my complaint. I will post my reply here too but edit out details like address and acc numbers

Dear Soups,

Following your last email to Eir, a case was logged under reference *******. This was not answered in time and I want to apologise for that. 

This is mistake one.A swift reply would have been expected considering the rest of the issues.

Then you contacted Comreg and a case was logged under reference *******.

I wish to answer your email complaint and your Comreg complaint.

You moved to another provider on 08/08/2015 because you were overcharged on your bills because you were set up on a wrong fibre plan at first.

Mistake two. This was my reason for leaving.

Your account should have closed automatically that day but it was not because of a system issue.

Mistake three. A system issue? one which would have cost me a lot of money if I had been set up for direct debit. 

Your account was eventually ceased on 30/10/2015. This was the first reason why you kept receiving bills after moving to a new provider in August 2015.

After you contacted Eir again, you was refunded your extra bills on 22/10/2015, and your overcharges from your previous bills on 24/02/2016. I have cancelled the remaining amount of €19.87 on 22/08/2016. I cannot say why your refunds were not processed earlier.

This was due to the hard work of Alan from boards.ie, however no refund was issued, merely setup on the acc. 
        Mistake four

Eir billing system is automatic and as long as an account is not at 0.00, a bill is issued automatically and this is why you kept receiving bills after your account was ceased on 30/10/2015. Your account is now cleared at 0.00 and you will not receive bills from Eir anymore.

But no one else at eir could explain why I kept receiving bills and also claimed from their end no bills were visible. 

Mistake five

A cheque refund was requested on 25/03/2016 under reference *******, but this was not logged correctly so no cheque was sent out. And a new cheque refund was requested on 26/03/2016 under reference *******. 

The refund was requested the first week of march, presuming that you refer to how long it took to process then this would seem to be correct. However the refund was not logged correctly so mistake six.

Cheques are issued by the payment team after checking with the back office team, and this is why you were told firstly there was an issue with the back office team and then there was no issue with the back office team.

But again no one could explain this simple fact mistake seven.

You have to know that both cheque requests had your correct address some place somewhere :). I cannot say why one agent said otherwise, that was its error.

Mistake eight.

A cheque for an amount of € 181.28 was sent to you on 01/04/2016. I understand that you never received it.

Mistake, but let’s put this down to an post shall we.

I am getting this investigated and a new cheque will be sent out to you in priority once it is confirmed that your first cheque was not cashed.

"I have contacted the cheque refund team in regards to this, as soon as they come back to me I will update you."

-Pamela via boards.ie on the 17th june, still awaiting her response. Mistake nine.

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a forecast for when I receive confirmation a new cheque is sent out. I am expecting the delay to be one week and I will contact the person responsible if I do not hear from her within a week.

Finally, a solution to my problem, no offence but I will believe it when I actually have the cheque. 

I understand that you should have been contacted and given an update about what was happening instead of having to contact eir yourself and I want to apologise for that.

Agreed, thank you, but still mistake ten.

The agent who talked to your wife without checking her identity first is getting re-trained. Breach of data protection is a very serious issue and we here are taking this issue very seriously.

And at last a response to something I also take seriously. Thank you for that. Mistake eleven. 

Please, accept my deepest apologies again on behalf of Eir.

Also why did I receive several texts on the 1st of July to inform me that the refund would be with me in ten days? Was a cheque issued at this point and if not then why send the   text, if it was issued where did it go?

Mistake twelve 

So in summary, twelve mistakes, one solution in the form of retraining and one expected solution in the form of a cheque. I do hope this is an end to this matter but I will hold   my praise until I am sure it’s over

Soups 

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Talk about a catalogue of errors!! That is absolutely abysmal service. Fair play to you for the patience you've shown to date and for following up with Comreg, and shame on Eir for dragging it out this long. I hope that cheque arrives swiftly. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Funnily enough i had the same issues regarding a refund when i was with Meteor - 7 months and a complaint to comreg, which was closed and then reopened when they were informed that Meteor had given them the wrong information! It would appear that this refund "issue" is a problem across a few of eir's companys and still continues 3 years later!
    I hope that this cheque manages to get to you!

"Eir billing system is automatic and as long as an account is not at 0.00, a bill is issued automatically and this is why you kept receiving bills after your account was ceased on 30/10/2015. Your account is now cleared at 0.00 and you will not receive bills from Eir anymore."

except of course for the bill i just received. oh and still no cheque.   

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

"Eir billing system is automatic and as long as an account is not at 0.00, a bill is issued automatically and this is why you kept receiving bills after your account was ceased on 30/10/2015. Your account is now cleared at 0.00 and you will not receive bills from Eir anymore."

Hi soups05,

Apologies for the delay, a request was submitted to cancel the original cheque and once this has processed a new cheque will be issued.

-Pamela

• Registered Users Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I see this is pretty common, left Eir in May, still receiving bills in September after repeated assurances the account has been closed. 

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I see this is pretty common, left Eir in May, still receiving bills in September after repeated assurances the account has been closed. 
    I'm sorry to hear this StringerBell, feel free to PM me your account details and I will take a look into this.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm sorry to hear this StringerBell, feel free to PM me your account details and I will take a look into this.

-Pamela 
    Not a hope Pamela, no offence to you personally. already contacted Eir (again) via messenger chat and have informed that my solicitor will be handling this crap from now on. 

It is unbelievable how this company handles its affairs.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Hi soups05,

Apologies for the delay, a request was submitted to cancel the original cheque and once this has processed a new cheque will be issued.

-Pamela
    As the cheque has to be reissued this will lead to delays I’m afraid as our cheque refund team will need to contact the bank and have the previous cheque tracked and cancelled. Once the cheque has been cancelled it will then need to be reissued.

that was from your reply to me on this thread on the 28 june. how long does it take to cancel a cheque? 

Hi soups05,

-Pamela
    As the cheque has to be reissued this will lead to delays I’m afraid as our cheque refund team will need to contact the bank and have the previous cheque tracked and cancelled. Once the cheque has been cancelled it will then need to be reissued.

that was from your reply to me on this thread on the 28 june. how long does it take to cancel a cheque? 
    Apologies for the delay soups05, I can confirm your cheque has been issued.

-Pamela 

Hi again Pamela, it has now been 13 working days and still no cheque, it was supposed to arrive within ten working days. This may seem a little impatient but to be honest allowing ten days was a stretch in the first place.

Any way you can chase this up and find out what is happening with it? 

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Hi again Pamela, it has now been 13 working days and still no cheque, it was supposed to arrive within ten working days. This may seem a little impatient but to be honest allowing ten days was a stretch in the first place.

Any way you can chase this up and find out what is happening with it? 

You have the patience of a saint. I'd be getting back on to Comreg and CCing every radio/tv/newspaper consumer rights guru I could think of. 

sadly i have contacted comreg, after jumping through some hoops they mailed me to let me know that the case has now been closed as eir have informed them my refund has been issued. this is despite the fact that this refund has been issued 3 time now and am still waiting lol. giving it another couple of days then gonna reopen it with them.  

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There is a problem with the comreg system if cases can be closed with no confirmation from the complainant. 

Advertisement