Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilly starts

• 08-01-2016 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

So we are set for a period of minus Temps. I'm up at 6am for work. I'll decide in the morning if I'll bike or take the car. If I use the bike I'll use the motorway as it has more chance of been gritted.

So what's your limit? Will you bike in minus Temps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Nope. Simply never going to risk it. I see ice and the bike stays home.

I may feel differently if commuting on a bike saved me time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you plan on riding in winter, buy a couple of cans of ACF50 and treat the bike throughly, the winter salt starts to eat into unprotected metal very quickly if there is nothing to stop it.
    Come spring you'd like the bike to be nice and shiny not a furry mass of corroded alloy and rust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I'm kinda the same as goodlad, even though the bike drops my commute from 90m to 45m. Rain and wind and cold won't faze me, minute there's a spot of ice I'm in the jammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Well it was 2 degrees leaving the house this morning and it was spitting rain. I was delighted. I know some here have no second option so have to use the bike no matter what. Correct CJHAUGHEY, I gave the bike and acf50 treatment a few weeks but it's due again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really does depend on the route you have to take but if its minus temps then it really is not worth the risk. Some people I suppose dont have the luxury of 2 different modes of transport....if on the bike take it easy and stay safe lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, depends on the route. If it's all through the city and the roads are dry, generally ok. If you live in Roundwood or something and it involves going on back roads early, probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Depends... minus temperatures no bother if it's bone dry but I have a few miles of local roads before I get to anything that might be gritted so if it's icy the bike stays at home. Often had to slipslide my way out to the main roads in the car only to find I could have biked from there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Riding with ice means a good chance of a spill, as I've experienced. Ice can be impossible to see. So no bike if the temps are very close to zero. I've had enough of accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

I'll do most things but ice forget about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭honda boi

It's rain,cold,storms,snow and ice for me :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

honda boi wrote: »
    It's rain,cold,storms,snow and ice for me :p

Actually had a spill on ice this morning in my cul de sac. Raging! Will have to push the bike out to the main road on icy morning now.

All ok though, bit sore and rear brake lever is bent but otherwise my pride is damaged the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Or just buy a back of salt and salt the road with a bucket.

zubair wrote: »
    Actually had a spill on ice this morning in my cul de sac. Raging! Will have to push the bike out to the main road on icy morning now.

All ok though, bit sore and rear brake lever is bent but otherwise my pride is damaged the most.

**** craic man, sorry to hear it. I was the same when I lived in an estate, the first 50 yards was a killer, the next 40km were grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Falling off is not great, falling off in traffic where other vehicles can't stop suddenly is many times worse.
    Some dozy driver twiddling the knobs in a steamed up car doesn't see you then what?
    Stay safe guys and if you can avoid riding in freezing conditions do so IMHO.

zubair wrote: »

Sorry to hear. I opted for the car myself this morning. As mentioned getting out of the estate is the problem. The motorway didn't seem too bad.

Thats poxy Zubair. Its the same situation for me where my house is.
    I simply cannot get my bike out of the estate if i wanted to. Its like an ice rink.

But once i hit the main roads its mostly ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Much better today.
    Yesterday was a bit slippy in the estate but good as soon as you reached the main road.
    I was very happy to be on the bike and not have to share a train ...

Plopli wrote: »
    Much better today.
    Yesterday was a bit slippy in the estate but good as soon as you reached the main road.
    I was very happy to be on the bike and not have to share a train ...

Didn't even go below 0 overnight in our neck of the woods. The rest of the week it's set to though ... :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mostly I couldn't give a toss, but I do a huge amount of cycling too.

My battery is dead this week, and its major surgery to get to the BMW (pox bottle of a bike if you need to do simple work on) battery, so I'm cycling the 40km commute.

Mostly I couldn't give a toss, but I do a huge amount of cycling too.

My battery is dead this week, and its major surgery to get to the BMW (pox bottle of a bike if you need to do simple work on) battery, so I'm cycling the 40km commute.

That should keep you warm ...:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Rode up from Nenagh to Dublin for work this morning at 08:00

My bits are still numb :eek: :D

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Rode up from Nenagh to Dublin for work this morning at 08:00

My bits are still numb :eek: :D

I always got the impression you were living in Dublin!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I always got the impression you were living in Dublin!.
    Dublin during the week for work, Nenagh with the OH at the weekend...perfect marriage :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Cage for me this week.:)

Call me a pu55ie,but Id rather be in the cage than possibly drop the bike on unseen ice at 8am in the morning.

Cage for me this week.:)

Call me a pu55ie,but Id rather be in the cage than possibly drop the bike on unseen ice at 8am in the morning.

Pussy :p

I wouldn't risk dropping that either.

I was asked yesterday if I was mad to cycle to work, I replied that I'd rather fall off on ice at 20kph on my bicycle than 120 on my bike.

Looks like car again for me

Roads around Dublin and N/M4 are fine this morning, cold but dry, perfect weather.
    I just wish I had better hand protection on the Bandit, finger tips get quit numb at the end of the commute, even with my ColdProtect GTX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Glad I managed to get the heated grips on the bike at the weekend!

My estate was ok this morning and the roads around Dublin were fine. Even colder weather forecast over the next few days with some potential for rain or snow so roads could get dodgy. I got caught coming home in snow last year and don't fancy it again - it wasn't much fun!

Plopli wrote: »
    Roads around Dublin and N/M4 are fine this morning, cold but dry, perfect weather.
    I just wish I had better hand protection on the Bandit, finger tips get quit numb at the end of the commute, even with my ColdProtect GTX.

Put some handguards on it or get muffs

• Advertisement

Thought I'd chance the bike this morning and nearly went on me hole walking out to the garage. Haha. Try again next week.

Advertisement