Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilly starts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Plopli wrote: »
    Roads around Dublin and N/M4 are fine this morning, cold but dry, perfect weather.
    I just wish I had better hand protection on the Bandit, finger tips get quit numb at the end of the commute, even with my ColdProtect GTX.
    Got a pair of Furygan Iron gloves as a Xmas present & I have to say my hands have never been warmer & I don't use heated grips.

Rode 170km yesterday to work & my hands were the only part of me that weren't numb with the cold...recommended.

furygan_iron_black__73309.1410013516.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/sec9fce9bb221/?ViewObjectID=32641312&Currency=EUR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

goodlad wrote: »
    Put some handguards on it or get muffs

Too late for that, I get a new R1200GSA in February :) (I expect March to be honest).
    It will have heated grips, handguard and all the bell and whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Too late for that, I get a new R1200GSA in February :) (I expect March to be honest).

Post up pics when ya get it,

Would love on in Alpine Weiss Savage looking yolk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

No problems around Dublin city today, quite dry. Gerbing heated gloves do the job well for the hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Finally pulled the trigger? Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm sure you'll have fun when you get it.

Maybe we can have a GS Sunday Spin sometime? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Unfortunately I've no other choice. I'm on the bike regardless of the weather. The past few mornings haven't been to bad, this morning was probably the worst imo. Hit a few icy patches where I felt the bike squirm a bit.

Only advice I could give people is to slow it down! It's a lot better coming off at 50kph than it is 100kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Some of the Ice today was mental. I know of two cars written off today, luckily no injuries.
    Be very careful on a bike, Please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

If you have the option to,then leave the bike at home and stay safe during this icy weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought the roads were grand, but walking through the car park in work, nearly fell on 2 bits of black ice. Impossible to see it, and that's a car park that was salted a couple of days ago. Definitely not a day for the bike.

• Advertisement

Just in from work, bike put to bed...check

Change of jocks :eek:

Few back wheel adjustments on the way home, tis getting gnarly out there.

Think I'll go Luas tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Got a pair of Furygan Iron gloves as a Xmas present & I have to say my hands have never been warmer & I don't use heated grips.

Rode 170km yesterday to work & my hands were the only part of me that weren't numb with the cold...recommended.

http://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-pnpbw/products/849/images/4123/furygan_iron_black__73309.1410013516.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/sec9fce9bb221/?ViewObjectID=32641312&Currency=EUR
    I like the look of those gloves. But one question. How do you know what size to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Came across 2 separate incidents in the Phoenix Park this morning where it seems 2 cyclists came off their bikes and needed ambulances. Fire brigade were warning other cyclists to dismount. Hope everyone was ok.

I got caught in a snow shower coming home this evening. Home safe and sound thankfully but think I'll leave the bike at home tomorrow, estate seems pretty bad already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Saw a bin lorry drifting around a corner tonight.Driver sawing away like mad at the steering wheel.Id say he might have needed new jocks.:pac::D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you have access to a car or public transport then it would be madness to take a bike.

So this happened down the road from me this morning, someone completely missed a corner and went straight into the canal: 8rZOe7P.jpg

Lost the back wheels of the car for a second as well on back roads this morning, and I only saw one grit lorry near the motorway at kilcock only half an hour ago.

Not a week for bikes, and it isn't to get any better over the weekend, due to be -4 overnight tomorrow in some places. Leave the bike at home if you can folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Going to take the van today, not worth risking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

I got with the train yesterday and today and glad I did.
    I hate it but it's still better than wrecking the bike and/or myself.

Yesterday was fine as soon as you left the estate but today was really not nice even further down the main road.

I wish people understood safety distances are of paramount importance with this kind of weather.

Whatever you do, take it handy and be safe.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I like the look of those gloves. But one question. How do you know what size to get?
    I have big hands & an XL fit me snugly but not uncomfortably so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Looks like I picked the wrong week to buy a new bike... well shyte!!! 😢

• Advertisement

Looks like I picked the wrong week to buy a new bike... well shyte!!! 😢

Looks to be mostly back to normal next week. Thank ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Had to use the bike for college yesterday, just in around the housing estates bit of a hairy moment turning right out, must have hit a bit of ice and the back-end started to spin out. I got it under-control fairly quickly thankfully. Won't be using it again unless needed. It's bad in a car, don't want to picture what you could do on a bike.

I feel off a push bike before, it was litteraly a flip 180 degrees. It went from me on bike to bike on me, in the exact same position. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ice generally gives little or no warning, one minute you are tip toeing arouund the next you are sliding along with a horrible grating sound.
    Its just sh!t to ride on unless you are one of those ice speedway guys or have fitted studs to your tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I pray for rain:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

I know the feeling. Came back from my mums house and forgot the whole section on a narrow road had a water leak. The entire section was black ice. Breaked to slow down, as a quick reaction, the back end started sliding around down I went. According to this video, putting out your legs and using the clutch works. When I was pulling the bike up, my feet were slipped on the ground, fun! Saw a car and a van slide all over the road after I sat on the footpath afterwards.

Sometimes my estate can become an icerink with the right combination of rain, followed by clear skies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

-4 this morning. Sat in traffic in the car. Added 40 mins to my commute. Loads of bikes passed me by. If it doesn't rain tonight I'll chance the bike tomorrow morning. I'll stick to the motorway. Cracking day now and it would have made for a nice spin home.

Anyone brave the roads on the bike this morning? How did you get on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I did the same as you. :( I took the car. Roads seemed perfectly fine for my commute. Should have taken the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I've been on the bike all this week. Cars are all frosted over but the roads have been fine, even in the estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

any puddles were ice, but pretty easy to spot and avoid

v cold though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Didn't find today too bad at all actually, there was loads of grit on the road and I didn't see any ice.

Advertisement