Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilly starts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Think I poxy jinxed it. There is the odd shower floating about:( Ill just decide in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Anyone out this morning? Roads look dry and fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Paulw wrote: »
    Anyone out this morning? Roads look dry and fine.

Yup, Nice cool crisp morning but defo not as cold as yesterday. Roads were grand.

Yep roads were fine. Left the house at 06:45. There was a crash near palmerstowns which caused a massive tail back.

I took the bike. Glad I did. Lovely day for it, especially with Dublin traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've been on the bike all week, roads are fine and dry, but I leave after 9, so the worst of it is gone. Today seemed to be the coldest because there was a dampness in the air. Rain forecast for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've been on the bike this week too, but it's bleedin' cold in the morning time. Dry roads though, and no skids or slips... and the drive home yesterday evening was bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

All week on the road, starting around 7:00, Dublin bound.
    Roads were fine and I had forgotten how pleasant heated grips where.

Now I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone out in Dublin this am? How was it?

I left the Midlands at 06:30. It was snowing when I left but the snow was not sticking to the road. By the time I reached the toll on the m4 the snow was sticking to the hard shoulders but the road remained just wet. Dublin was fine. A bit greasy now and again but fine. Just take it nice and smooth.

• Advertisement

Took the bike anyway but won't be doing that again, the roads were absolutely fine but I have a steep driveway which I have to reverse out of when leaving the house. I had both of my feet down and no matter what I did with the front break I just kept accelerating backwards - don't know how I managed to keep it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Simona1986 wrote: »
    don't know how I managed to keep it up!

I say the same in real life quite a bit :pac:

Took the bike this morning, about 30 seconds in I considered turning around and going home due to the ground around my apartment complex not being gritted.

Once I got onto the (gritted) roads it was ok. Slushy and melting snow helped, but it was not a fun ride... which is incidentally another thing I say in real life quite a bit.

Well it's mid November and its the first morning where I considered not taking the bike. I set off from the Midlands at 06:30. Cars were iced over but roads didn't seem too bad. I made a bee line straight to the motorway. Wasn't going to chance the N4. How were conditions for you all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Well it's mid November and its the first morning where I considered not taking the bike. I set off from the Midlands at 06:30. Cars were iced over but roads didn't seem too bad. I made a bee line straight to the motorway. Wasn't going to chance the N4. How were conditions for you all?

Very similar conditions in North Co. Dublin around 8am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Terrible conditions in North Dublin this morning.
    So bad that I had to call in Mr Plow.:pac::D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Cold enough at 1am this morning leaving north Dublin to go home. But "warmer" than the last two nights as I remembered to pinch a fuse at work and put it in before setting off - took it out when I bought the bike as it appeared the heated grips were on all the time.

First morning I considered it also. Was hovering about 1C at 7am so I strategically stayed in bed until 8.30 when it was 2-3c and it was fine.

Today was damp too, makes it even colder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Nice morning..very few bikes in Laragh...too cold for ye......:rolleyes::P

I was out on the bike yesterday. Damn cold and damp roads. I don't plan on going out tomorrow on the bike. Supposed to be -3 tonight and with the wet ground it'll be dodgy.

Stay safe out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Drove today, bitterly cold and misty in Dublin. Will probably get a lift to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Monday......deffo not a nice day re getting about on the bike. Fog turning to winds from the north and rain.

I'd say if you had a long spin this evening you'd know all about cold with that fog

Heading off in the morning. Not looking forward to it. Might need to take the car. Sure the excirise will do the kids grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Couldn't take the bike today. was sick when I looked outside and saw a winter wonderland. Had to get a lift and i slipped on my ass walking to the car. Love Monday mornings.

I chanced it. 10kph until I got out of the housing estate and onto the motorway. The pay off was worth it. It took me 1 hour to get to work. Would have been 1hr40mins in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I chanced it. 10kph until I got out of the housing estate and onto the motorway. The pay off was worth it. It took me 1 hour to get to work. Would have been 1hr40mins in the car.

OK in Dublin and county this morning, will not be so nice by this afternoon though

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    OK in Dublin and county this morning, will not be so nice by this afternoon though
    Not bad this evening in Dublin. A bit gusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Roads off the M3 up to Trim were slipperey today.Tractors pulling all sorts of crap from the fields out onto the main road.2 hay bales just sitting in the middle of the road too,:eek:
    Made for an exciting ride on the R1.:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Had to take the bus the last three nights. Status Orange or Yellow warnings at the times I'd be on the roads. The main roads are usually ok but the roads in industrial estates not as good. I've spent more money on buses in 3 nights than I would in petrol for a week! Forecast better tonight so taking the bike.

Advertisement