Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilly starts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

Blondie919 wrote: »
    ...I've spent more money on buses in 3 nights than I would in petrol for a week! Forecast better tonight so taking the bike.

If you're not already doing so, I'd recommend getting a Leap card. It give a 20+% savings on cash fares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Had to take the bus the last three nights. Status Orange or Yellow warnings at the times I'd be on the roads. The main roads are usually ok but the roads in industrial estates not as good. I've spent more money on buses in 3 nights than I would in petrol for a week! Forecast better tonight so taking the bike.

Are you sure about tonights temps? it will be midnight when I leave work so going to be taking it real handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Are you sure about tonights temps? it will be midnight when I leave work so going to be taking it real handy

Turned out the frost was back again so took the bus. Was bitterly cold with freezing fog also. By the time I left work this morning the frost was gone. Hopefully we'll have better weather next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Time for the trickle chargers to go on the bikes.
    R1 barely fired up this morning,id say 2 more cranks and the battery would have given up the ghost.

Time for the trickle chargers to go on the bikes.
    R1 barely fired up this morning,id say 2 more cranks and the battery would have given up the ghost.

How long did the R1 sit without been started?

• Advertisement

How long did the R1 sit without been started?

4 days...
    The big bang R1,s are prone top cold start issues,especially when weather is indeed cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

4 days...
    The big bang R1,s are prone top cold start issues,especially when weather is indeed cold.

I think it just needs a hug man.

Hug it more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

listermint wrote: »
    Hug it more
    While going down the M50 to avoid the cold blast of air.

listermint wrote: »
    I think it just needs a hug man.

Hug it more

Maybe I should buy it some flowers and choccies too.:pac::pac:

Poxy 996 fired up 3rd crank no problem,and thats been lyin up for 5 weeks now.
    Kinda ironic,when you think about it.:pac::D

• Advertisement

Cold night out there tonight,lots of frost and ice forecast for early morning too.
    Be carefull out there folks.

Dont know where al this frost and ice is.
    Bone dry roads here in Dublin this morning,and not a bit of frost or ice to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Bone dry roads here in Dublin this morning,and not a bit of frost or ice to be seen.

Well its in Limerick this morning. No chance of making it out of my estate let alone the commute to work. Poxy weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Same here in Galway. Bussed it again thinking there'd be frost. It got a bit chilly last night for a while but nowhere near frost temps. Damn forecast!

Yeah phone said -2 when leaving this morning but no sign of frost or ice

About -4 leaving this morning. Definitelyte coldest I've been on a bike ever. Got warmer approaching Dublin though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

About -4 leaving this morning. Definitelyte coldest I've been on a bike ever. Got warmer approaching Dublin though

Was -3 for me so I elected to take the car but by the time I got out of the estate I think I would have been fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

-2 and a layer of frost at my place in kildare, was +7 and sunny in Dublin. Proper microclimate going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Coldest spin home last night I've had in years, weather was saying -2 before I left, roads were fine but when I got home the front driveway and path to the shed were starting to get a little slippery!

Edit: only realised the next morning I'd forgotten to put the winter lining into that jacket :pac: some winters I never put it in at all

Scrap the cap!

-5 leaving this morning. Once there is no moisture on the road it's not so bad. I might invest in extra thermal glove liners and adjust my left hand wind breaker.

• Advertisement

Heated grips all the way man

Scrap the cap!

Heated grips all the way man

I have heated grips. Winter gloves. Hand guards. Bike came with the hand guards. I might just upgrade them to something a little bigger to keep the wind off the finger tips. Might go for ones with built in leds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have heated grips. Winter gloves. Hand guards. Bike came with the hand guards. I might just upgrade them to something a little bigger to keep the wind off the finger tips. Might go for ones with built in leds

I've guards on and finger tips will still get cold as they are off the heater and touching the cold clutch and brake levers. The only real serious way to stop cold finger tips is glove heated grips and bike mitts. That keeps the heat in the area and heats up the levers

The morning could be interesting. Actually hoping for no snow. Feck the kids. Weather app is giving a "real feel" for -9 when I'm due to set off. Think I'll wear a 2nd set of kacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Don't really mind the cold (additional layers help) but with ice/snow on the way the bike stays put.
    Feel sorry for the bike couriers who have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Don't mind being caught in freshly fallen snow but if it's been sitting or the roads are icy white nah fuk that......did it once never again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Got caught in snow shower on way home. Fine until I had to make the final 3km home on unlit road. Could see jack s##t with on coming car lights. A tad uncomfortable really.

Might not bother in the morning to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah it really is not worth it lads....the amount of hassle from the smallest fall can be a nightmare. If you have alternate transport use it, if not may the force be with you.

May not be true elsewhere but IMHO Met Eireann have way overhyped this as regards the greater Dublin area.

Monday and Tuesday on online and offline media it was all.. omg it's OK now but PANIC! freezing cold and blizzards forecast by Wed PM!!!

Wed AM it was above freezing, a little bit blowy, forecast said it was going to get worse - I took the bus on the basis of how bad the weather was supposed to be by evening
    What actually happened - the weather improved throughout the day and it was near perfect biking conditions by home time. But Thursday was going to be baad ass, according to them in the know :rolleyes:
    Thursday - it was great in the morning and I took the bike. No problems at all even though Met Eireann were predicting frost, sleet and major gusts by the evening. I left the city centre at nearly 7pm and there was a few flakes (much easier to wipe off your visor than a decent rain shower) temp was still above zero, it hadn't even frozen the night before despite predictions. Winds light enough too.
    These Met Eireann yellow and orange alerts aren't worth a crap.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

May not be true elsewhere but IMHO Met Eireann have way overhyped this as regards the greater Dublin area.

Monday and Tuesday on online and offline media it was all.. omg it's OK now but PANIC! freezing cold and blizzards forecast by Wed PM!!!

Wed AM it was above freezing, a little bit blowy, forecast said it was going to get worse - I took the bus on the basis of how bad the weather was supposed to be by evening
    What actually happened - the weather improved throughout the day and it was near perfect biking conditions by home time. But Thursday was going to be baad ass, according to them in the know :rolleyes:
    Thursday - it was great in the morning and I took the bike. No problems at all even though Met Eireann were predicting frost, sleet and major gusts by the evening. I left the city centre at nearly 7pm and there was a few flakes (much easier to wipe off your visor than a decent rain shower) temp was still above zero, it hadn't even frozen the night before despite predictions. Winds light enough too.
    These Met Eireann yellow and orange alerts aren't worth a crap.

I agree with all of your points above.
    For today, the main roads are probably grand. It'll be cold on the fingers and feet though. Aside from that there will be no weather issue. However, my estate at the moment looks like glass and probably won't defrost for another hour

Advertisement