Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to react after being dismissed?

Options
  • 08-01-2016 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys,

I have an issue that I need some advice on, I am pretty much in shock.

I took up work in a large chain-store exactly 9 weeks ago, with the promise that I'd have full-time employment after Christmas.

Today my boss's right-hand-man approached me, and informed me that I'd been taken off the timetable for the foreseeable future as, in his words there was no work for me and he wanted to give the hours to staff who had been there longer than me. I asked what did he mean by this. He said go home and he would call me in a few weeks. He then dismissed me and went home himself. I went to the owner and asked him what was happening. He asked if the situation had been explained o me, I said that I had been given a few weeks off. He seemed puzzled and said that the situation would have to be explained better and to expect a call, and he too dismissed me stating that he was very busy.

How would you react in this situation? I am equal parts angry and sad. I don't know what is happening. Would it be wise to ask for a letter stating when I last worked, as well as that there is no work for me so I can try and draw the dole as I need money to get by.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭fran38

Madra98 wrote:
    Hi guys,

I have an issue that I need some advice on, I am pretty much in shock.

I took up work in a large chain-store exactly 9 weeks ago, with the promise that I'd have full-time employment after Christmas.

Today my boss's right-hand-man approached me, and informed me that I'd been taken off the timetable for the foreseeable future as, in his words there was no work for me and he wanted to give the hours to staff who had been there longer than me. I asked what did he mean by this. He said go home and he would call me in a few weeks. He then dismissed me and went home himself. I went to the owner and asked him what was happening. He asked if the situation had been explained o me, I said that I had been given a few weeks off. He seemed puzzled and said that the situation would have to be explained better and to expect a call, and he too dismissed me stating that he was very busy.

How would you react in this situation? I am equal parts angry and sad. I don't know what is happening. Would it be wise to ask for a letter stating when I last worked, as well as that there is no work for me so I can try and draw the dole as I need money to get by.

Are you part time employed? Casual worker (x/o dockets)? And you said you were given a few weeks off? If you're part time, do get a letter from your employers for SW purposes as they will need to ascertain your employment status. Now, if you are a casual worker and getting those x/o dockets, you could still get your employers to stamp them for you but obviously you'll be marking in 'x'. That way, you won't have to face any grilling from SW or get documents to support your claim. But that's not a long term solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Madra98

Hi Fran,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I was never told the terms of my employment, I never signed anything. I called into the shop, they interviewed me on the spot, told me to start right away and to bring my P45 and bank details with me the next day - I was told that after Christmas there'd be a full-time contract for me. I am not a causal worker, I have been doing 35-42hrs a week, every week for the past 2+ months. 10-hour-shifts over Christmas.

Still no one contacted me to explain what is going on. Surely this isn't legal? I was just told to go home and that I was not on the timetable for the foreseeable future.

In regards to the few weeks off line, that is what I said to the owner, when he asked me what I had been told. I had just been told that I was not needed for the next few weeks/foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I would contact the social welfare with this issue to ask them what you need to do to get back on the dole and follow that procedure.

It is a crappy thing for the company to do to you for keeping it as informal as that.

Thanks for the reply, Optimal.

Is this legal, tho? Can they just say, casually, that they're done with me and go home for several weeks until they feel like contacting me?

I mean do I need to walk carefully in this situation, or can I come out roaring like a loin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

I think (not 100% but I think) unless you have signed a contract where they state you will have full time work, I think they can do what they like.

I would defo go talk to someone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Madra98 wrote: »
    I mean do I need to walk carefully in this situation, or can I come out roaring like a loin?
    Pointless burning bridges. If you get on well with the manager, pop in on a day when it's usually quite, and find out are you being let go. If so, ask can you use him as a reference, and go job hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

You never signed anything. Even if you did most contracts have a 6 month probation period.

You really don't get any rights until you're working for a year.

Promises don't mean anything unfortunately.

I don't know if you can sign on casually if you've only been there 10 weeks, best advice is to look for anot her job.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I appreciate them all.

What a situation. I'll just play it safe, easy and cool. Start looking for a new job. I had noticed that they hadn't given me the security codes for any of the doors, they hadn't let me near the cash-room, they hadn't given me the code for the tills and they hadn't invited me to the staff Christmas Party, or the staff drinks Christmas Eve. I suppose the writing was on the wall that the axe was dangling over my head from the get-go.

The same piece of advice keeps popping up from friends - contact them, be casual, ask for a letter on company-headed paper, or stamped stating when I last worked and stating what they said to me, that there is no work for me. Then take that to the dole to try and get some money to survive on until I can find another job.

The same piece of advice keeps popping up from friends - contact them, be casual, ask for a letter on company-headed paper, or stamped stating when I last worked and stating what they said to me, that there is no work for me. Then take that to the dole to try and get some money to survive on until I can find another job.

That's the best approach. You've another line on your CV.
    Sign on tomorrow.

Good luck with the job hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Thanks for the reply, Optimal.

Is this legal, tho? Can they just say, casually, that they're done with me and go home for several weeks until they feel like contacting me?

I really dont know to be honest. thats why it would be wise to talk to the right people to see what your rights are in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

As you were there less than 12 months, you don't really have any rights to unfair dismissal. It was not handled well, but they did not break the law. Get on the dole, and look for something better. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's totally legal.

Even if you had signed a contract saying you were employed full time, they can still put you on a lay-off during a quiet period. Read all about it here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/redundancy/lay_off_short_time_working_and_redundancy.html

If you did decide that the layoff is too long and decide to claim redundancy, then because you're there less than two years there's no payout for you.

As well as that, because you are on probation for the first 12 months (unless explicitly told that it's shorter), they can fire you for the flimsiest of reasons, and without giving you any chance to improve.

The only thing that your employer has done wrong so far is not giving you a formal letter officially confirming what the situation is. Realistically all you can do is asks for this - and you need to do it politely if you want to use them as a referee.

Just to be clear: I think that both 12 month probation and no redundancy for two years are horribly wrong and unjust. But my thoughts and yours are pretty much irrelevant here. That's the law in this country. If you want to complain about it, talk to you TD.

Sorry to say it, but I think you were very naive expecting to be kept on full time after Christmas - in retail's quietest period. As you say, the signs were all there, especially the no Christmas-party-invite. I'd guess they've taken on a Christmas temp in this way for many years, and know very well that the promise of a permanent contract (implied by the phrase "full time") is a good tool for getting them to work harder than is reasonable for a temp.

Re how to react - keep it professional and classy. Roaring like a lion just makes you look silly. Playing it right might get you some casual work in future with them, until you get something else.

Good luck with the job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I appreciate them all.

What a situation. I'll just play it safe, easy and cool. Start looking for a new job. I had noticed that they hadn't given me the security codes for any of the doors, they hadn't let me near the cash-room, they hadn't given me the code for the tills that's for security reasons and they hadn't invited me to the staff Christmas Party, or the staff drinks Christmas Eve. that's horrible. you were staff so should be invited I suppose the writing was on the wall that the axe was dangling over my head from the get-go. yes they only wanted you to fill in on the busy time. now that gone so are you

don't burn your bridges they might need you again

Thanks for all the comments again, guys. I appreciate you all taking the time.

I went to the Dole office, they said they need a letter stating either that there is no work and I am on leave until there is, or that there is no work and they are letting off +P45.

I called work and asked for the most senior person on hand (that person was on break). So I ended the call. Got a call a few minutes later from the boss wanting to know what I was up to, and why I was going around him (even though he wasn't supposed to be there today and was too busy to call me).

I said I need to know my terms of employment, he laughed - was very rude. I mean very rude. I said I needed a letter for the dole stating there was no work - he hummed and hawed. I said I'd be in at 3 o'clock either way to see him. It's now 2 on the dot.

Add-on

I went in at three o'clock, none of the staff acknowledged me. I went to the back office, said hello to the staff, none of the girls acknowledged me or said hello - just cast their eyes to the ground. I looked into the office, no one there. I said out loud: 'Does anyone know where the letter I request is?' Third in command appeared and said go to the front till. I said: 'Thanks, I hope you all have a nice weekend, bye' - in a soft, friendly tone. Went to the till. Neither of the till staff acknowledged me. I saw a letter with my name on it. I picked it up. Said hi to the till staff, said the same - to have a nice weekend. They never acknowledged me. I walked away proudly and quietly. Opened my letter outside the door, it said I'm not wanted or needed anymore.

I'd never treat a living being like that. I kept a dignified, friendly face, their actions and behavior are their own issue. I'd never act like that, though.

Thanks all of you for taking the time to read my post and comment - you were all very helpful and contributed to this ending the best way possible. Thanks again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Did you get a P45?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

Sigh, why do people have to be such jackasses? Why couldn't they simply say it was a temp job for the run-up to Christmas instead of playing silly games? I'm sorry this happened to you. Well done for keeping calm and good luck with your job hunting.

mmg0305 wrote: »
    Sigh, why do people have to be such jackasses? Why couldn't they simply say it was a temp job for the run-up to Christmas instead of playing silly games? I'm sorry this happened to you. Well done for keeping calm and good luck with your job hunting.

Because there's less chance you'll dick around if there's a possibility of a permanent job.

I've worked Christmas jobs and I've seen the same thing. One permanent job is promised to the temps so they'll work to outdo each other and that job vanishes on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well done OP.

Make sure you tell your friends locally about the lovely people who work is that shop. If ya get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

Make sure you get any holiday pay owed to you.... its 8% of the hours you worked. I assume you did not take any annual leave while you were there?? Also, you should have been paid for the Public Holidays over Christmas.

I only mention this as they seem a bit underhand in the manner they let you go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Really sorry to hear your experience OP- very best wishes on finding a new job/role. Talk to SW but also, talk to the revenue commissioners - you were employed whether your employer wants to admit it or not- that should speed up the paperwork ;)

Thanks for the follow-up advice, guys. I assume the P45 is coming with the money they owe me?

I'm happy enough. I got dressed up nice, nice shirt and slacks with polished shoes, put on my good watch. Strolled in casually, said hi to everyone, wished everyone the best and walked away proudly with my head up. If they wanted to not say goodbye or wish me luck then it is their fault. Not mine. Now when they talk about me they can't say I stormed in snapping. When they tell the others how I acted they'll have to say that I was polite and it was they who didn't wish me well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Thanks for the follow-up advice, guys. I assume the P45 is coming with the money they owe me?

I'd be writing an email to the company asking for that- keep it as a written record- if nothing comes, then forward to Revenue- it will be a lovely New Years present for that shop- FULL AUDIT!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

Do not assume anything!!! Do a tally of the hours you worked and get 8% of that. Then contact yhe payroll.person and find out what you are due. They are called cessor days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - sorry to hear that you've been treated badly.

There's good advice on this thread re emailing them so that you get to keep a record, and re holiday pay, P45 etc.

You seem to have handled this in a dignified and mature manner - I'm sure that it will be appreciated by future employers.

Best of luck with the job hunt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭d9oiu2wk07blr5

OP you need to contact your former employer to get your P45 and any outstanding monies that are due to you. You were entitled to receive both on the date of your dismissal. Did you receive any wage slips throughout the course of your employment? If you have any difficulties getting your P45, you need to contact Revenue.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/leaving_work_without_being_paid.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

I think you can be out on temporary lay off if there is no work for you but in that case they also need to give you a letter to that effect from social welfare.
    TBH sounds like they needed extra hands for Christmas busy periods and now they don't need you. Update your c.v and get out there. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

OP I have a very good idea which company it is
    pity were not aloud to name and shame.

Same also happened to my friend over christmas, She went walking home crying over it.
    Sad to see it happen to you op
    but take it from me theirs much bigger and better opportunity's out their.

gang of arseholes they are :) excuse my french haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    OP I have a very good idea which company it is
    pity were not aloud to name and shame.

Same also happened to my friend over christmas, She went walking home crying over it.
    TBF it could be any company that takes extra staff on for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

TheChizler wrote: »
    TBF it could be any company that takes extra staff on for Christmas.

regarding the boss and how she recieved her "letter" along with the words on the letter

Is practically identical to how my friend got hers.

Advertisement