Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY CNC Builds

Options
  • 08-01-2016 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

@Yelnahs

As rightly suggested by @Kadman I have started this thread to leave the "Timber" thread on topic.

Anyone else doing a CNC build, I would love to hear about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

HorseSea wrote: »
    @Yelnahs

Good advice regarding the X3 community, I have not found much about them, which is a bit of a worry. I had a look at Stepcraft too. There are so many choices when you start researching. I am working my way through a lot of the Mycncuk threads for the moment. I will let you know what I do in the end. How is your Ox build coming along.

Good man for starting the thread, hopefully we can get others involved now.

My Ox build hasn't begun unfortunately! Christmas happened and I'm currently going through mortgage approval so it's temporarily on hold.

The community behind CNC's is one of the strongest I've seen, so many nice people keen to help others. Even if you do purchase the X3 the various (non-X3) CNC forums are more than happy to help with its set up, it's not just restricted to what 'brand' you went with.

I don't know what your proposed use for the CNC machine is but my advice would be to try and read up on the electronics part of the build, it seems the trick with these CNC builds is you need it know each element of the build inside out to get it properly 'dialed in'.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭HorseSea

I gave up on the X3 mainly based on what I read online, or didn't read as there was very little about that model. I have been reading around lots of forums and various builds and in the end I have settled on the OX kit from Ooznest. With all the time spend researching CNC builds I managed to gather the funds required and have just pressed the order button (Oh I hope I don't regret this!) So in a few weeks I should be the very mystified owner of a giant metal airfix kit.

The way I see it there are three elements to DIY CNC, Mechanical - building the thing, I am fairly confident about that. Electrical - wiring the controllers power supply etc, I am not at all confident about that part. Softward - programing the finished build, lots to learn there too. So I am expecting this to be a long eventful journey that one day may be worth it. Fingers crossed.

Ah nicely done, so very jealous.

I've never seen the Ooznest website before, had a good look last night and looks like a solid build, shipping is very cheap compared to others as well (I think it's nearly €200 on the vslot-europe website).

What electronics/controller are you going for? What spindle are you going to use with it? Also, what is the reason for the purchase? Just for a hobby or you going to make and sell items with it?

I am having it shipped to UK as I am there visiting relatives for a few days at the end of the month so the shipping was very little.

For the controller I went with their suggestion, which is the one they also sell! CNC xPro V2 and a 24V 360watt power supply. The recommended router is Dewalt 26200 which I will need to order separately. I read a lot about different controllers, but still couldn't really see which was better than the other so I went with theirs. This will be a learning experience and I may need to change controller at some stage. I don't know what software I will be using yet so that may determine controller selection in the future.

The million dollar question is what will I do with it, I have loads of plans in my head - the tricky bit will be getting them to a PC and out again from the CNC, mainly it is a hobby thing, but I would like to try and make it pay for itself when I have it up and running and I am up to speed with programming etc. I am really looking forward to building it anyway.

I only came across Ooznest from reading through forums, they were regularly mentioned for good customer service and that their products were high quality etc. Also the final clincher was when I phoned them, they answered and I was able to have a proper conversation with someone that knew about the product they were selling. Ordering was only the first step in what I am sure will be a long and interesting journey.... I hope you order yours soon so I can cog ideas and solutions from you :-)

I thought it was time to update this thread. My Ooznest order arrived in the UK on time for me to collect and bring home. It has been sitting in the garage up to a few days ago as I did not want to start the build until I could dedicate a lot of time and space to it and I was expecting it to be a big job. First the machine is an Ox, 1500mm x 1000m and came in three packages, two for the X and Y rails and all the hardware, motors, controller etc in the third box. Whoever packed it did a wonderful job, everything was carefully boxed and all the hardware, nuts, washers, shims, bolts etc etc were all in individual labelled baggies. There was not so much as a washer missing.

I set out all the hardware in a number of sorting boxes and it was like a big LEGO set. The instructions were in book form, beautifully printed and the diagrams were very clear. There are also a couple of videos of the build online, though I didn't need them. I had the substantial part of the build complete the first evening, way ahead of where I expected to be. The next day I finished off all the mechanicals and started on the electrics, my weak spot, but it wasn't too bad and after a lot of googling and a couple of phone calls, I got all the steppers working. Next came the software, my other weak spot, again thanks to Mr Google I could the basics sorted and by the end of day two I had a machine where I could control all three axis from the PC.

I have loads to do yet though. I need to tune the steppers better, the y axis stutters a bit at low speed and the frame is not 100% square, the just means loosening 112 bolts adjusting and tightening again - that's not a joke. I need to build a base for the unit that is very solid and perfectly level, install a waste board. I also want to put the electrics in a proper project box and mount on the x axis and a few other things, the get stuck into the CAD and CAM software so I can actually do some real cutting. So far this has gone much more easily than expected, mainly due to the quality of the kit from Ooznest who were great help when I needed to phone a couple of times about wiring etc. They are also active on Openbuilds forum where there is a ton of CNC material and lots on my particular build, the ox. It's great to have support out there.

• Advertisement

Hi HorseSea, sorry for the delay getting back . Sounds like you're making great progress! It's been a while since you updated last, I would reckon you're nearing completion?

I'm still a few months away from pressing the button on my purchase, in the meantime I'm teaching myself 3d modelling by using Fusion 360. I'm currently designing 3d models such as lamps and clocks and rendering them.

Let us know how you're getting on and if there were any photos going that would be great too.

@Yelnahs

Yes it is essentially up and running, but I have done a few things. I mounted the electrics on the X axis. I also got some cable chain and have installed that. I decided to get some more v slot to raise the machine to increase maximum cutting depth as it was much less than I had expected and while at it I order extra v slot rails for the Y axis to create better support, as it is 1500mm it was not as rigid as I would like. So far I have spent most of the machine time doing some relief carvings, they came out very well, but I have discovered that getting suitable images is not a matter of just converting photos to greyscale and that really you need 3D scans to get the best results, so I have only being able to use suitable images from the web. I would have known that if I had researched properly.

I build a torsion box for the base but did not order enough brackets to fix it properly so it did not make much difference to levelness (if that's a word!) It is quite hard to get properly level so when I do regular cuts I am cutting just about through at one end and eating spoiler board at the other, so I still need to get that sorted.

As you may have gathered from previous post I was delighted with Ooznest and recommend them highly. Openbuilds site is great too. In fact there are so many great builds and mods there that I can see myself trying something else when funds permit. I would love to mount a laser on it.

I have some photos, I will upload a few at the weekend.

I have tried loads of CAM software, free versions and trials etc. I have not settled on any yet, so much to learn. I wish like you I had started learning all that in advance as it is definitely my weakest point.

Forgot I had this video, it was an early test at v-carving, one of the first things I tried: https://youtu.be/9AweFO_k3JI

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aquila787

How have you advanced since last post. I am planning my own build and not from a kit. Do any of you know of a supplier for aluminium or the linear rails and bearings in Ireland.
    John

aquila787 wrote: »
    How have you advanced since last post. I am planning my own build and not from a kit. Do any of you know of a supplier for aluminium or the linear rails and bearings in Ireland.
    John

Unfortunately I have not had a lot of time with it, other projects keep getting in the way, though I did use it for a few jobs and it was great.

Regarding suppliers in Ireland, I didn't find any and the postage is not that bad from the UK, as I mentioned I had it shipped to UK address and brought it back from there, but if I had known at the time it would not have been that much more to get it sent here and my car would have had a lot more room on the drive back.

On the open builds website I see a lot of people sourcing stuff from China, if you are prepared to wait on the long postal times, they seem to be pleased enough with what they get.

What type / size machine are you planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 aquila787

Im planning making it from steel box iron where I can and 2.4 metres by 1.2 metres. Now those sizes may change too. I want to use it to shape the seats of Windsor chairs that I am planning to make soon. Also might use it for CNC saw. Not sure what way yet. I'll have a look at the China route.

I have electronic stuff to make my own boards but just wondering would it be easier now to buy the controllers. Are they cheap?
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

If you Google "aluminium extrusion Athlone" they sell components and the extrusions to build them. One chap that makes Cnc's gets stuff from them regularly.

aquila787 wrote: »
    Im planning making it from steel box iron where I can and 2.4 metres by 1.2 metres. Now those sizes may change too. I want to use it to shape the seats of Windsor chairs that I am planning to make soon. Also might use it for CNC saw. Not sure what way yet. I'll have a look at the China route.

I have electronic stuff to make my own boards but just wondering would it be easier now to buy the controllers. Are they cheap?
    John

Electronics would be my weak point so I had to get something off the shelf that was simple to wire up, I got the CNC xPRO v2 from Ooznest, it's £115.00 and was great. I understand that you can get controllers separate from the drivers and that might work out cheaper but more complicated, the xPRO has the drivers on the same board. The Openbuilds website has lots of info on controllers / drivers and suitable software for the various configurations.

Good to see it's all going well Horesea. I'm just about finished lining up my purchase, it will hopefully be a 1m x 1m c beam machine (although I might just end up going with the new c-beam XL bundle which is 1m x 500 mm). I'll keep this post updated, I may even start a thread on open builds.

Great @Yelnahs, looking forward to see how you get on. Unfortunately I have had virtually no time with my machine recently. I have a few ideas for things I want to use it for and can't wait to get back to it.

Advertisement