Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hacked email, what to do?

• 08-01-2016 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, I've just opened the junk folder on my email and discovered spam emails sent to me from my account. There is nothing in my sent or deleted emails. I assume I've been hacked? I've changed my password, not sure what I should do next? I'm a bit of a technophobe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,709 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not hacked, they just generate emails to make them look like they came from your.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

More likely they're just spoofing your address.

You can set an email to appear to be from any address. They're incredibly insecure really.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 daisyday121

Thanks, I'm kinda freaking out here. I hate the idea of someone going through my private emails. Is there anyway to know for definite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You changed your password, that's the most important part. I would also:
    A) Run a virus scan on any computers you commonly use just to make sure they're not infected by anything (do you have your email set up on Outlook or any similar desktop applications?).
    B) Disable any active logins on any other devices. You can do this by clicking the "Details" in the bottom right on gmail. Other providers probably have a similar function.
    C) Change the password on any accounts you use the same password for.
    D) Check all online accounts attached to the email and make sure the password/contact details for those haven't been compromised.

Ok, so I have done an full scan, nothing found. I've changed my email password, checked all associated accounts, (not the same password thankfully). I went into settings and tried to find an option to logout from other devices but I couldn't see any option for that. About 30 mins ago I got another email into my junk folder. What's my next step? If it is just a made up sender, can I do anything about it? Can anybody help with the logging out other devices with outlook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gothic_doll

If you were hacked, generally they would be sending spam emails to everyone in your address book. It looks like it's just spam emails sent to your address, and made to appear to be from your address (perhaps to trick you to open them.)
    -Don't open them
    -Don't download any files or pictures from any spam emails (inc pdf or word files, as they can still execute programs.)

I don't think you've been hacked from what you've written.

Run Spybot Search and Destroy to make sure there's no spyware on your computer (it's a free program.)
    Even though you already did a virus scan you may still have spyware, as it registers differently to a virus on the pc and wouldn't show up on a virus scan.

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I've checked with a contact and they've not received any emails from me. It does look like I've not been hacked but I'm definitely going to have a stronger password just in case. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thanks so much for all of your replies. I've checked with a contact and they've not received any emails from me. It does look like I've not been hacked but I'm definitely going to have a stronger password just in case. Thanks again.

A common workaround for Spam filters is to make the sending address the same as the recipient, plus its very easy to do from a programming point of view. Its unlikely you have your own address blacklisted so the email should appear in your inbox. Gmail has other ways of processing spam so the messages ended up in your Junk mail box anyway.

Its really nothing to worry about.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

My advice might be useless, but change your password and setup 2 stop authentication as a login. https://www.google.com/landing/2step/ that's if you use gmail of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

Thanks, I'm kinda freaking out here. I hate the idea of someone going through my private emails. Is there anyway to know for definite?

Hi Daisy,

Yes if your e-mail provider lets you view what are called "message headers" you can see if the e-mail was in fact sent from your mail provider. If you need help feel free to send me a message.

AF.

• Advertisement
Advertisement