Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming pc build €2000

Options
  • 08-01-2016 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I am looking to do my first PC build I use my laptop a lot and I am looking to upgrade to a full on PC for gaming, college work, watching series/movies and some side projects. So I am coming here to request help from the experts. I have done some research myself but I really am completely lost at this stage. I would prefer a red and black theme for the parts something like the NZXT h440 red and black case. I would probably be looking at a processor like the i5 490k or the i5 6500 over an i7 and put more into the gpu but I'm sure you lot know better. Thank you so much for your help

1. What is your budget? €1750-€2000

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, games like fallout, skyrim,witcher gtav so mainly mainstream heavy games. Will also be used for programming/development(preferably running a VM with linux).

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? none

5. Do you need a monitor?yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need: 27"

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? keyboard and mouse preferably made for gaming i would like good quality but I would be willing to go for a basic one like the cm storm bundle. Speakers needed if no inbuilt speakers in monitor

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? I would be willing to but I am apprehensive.

8. How can you pay? credit card or bank transfer

9. When are you purchasing? I would like to order by February

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I would like to think I wont need help but this is my first build. Im based in louth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

R9 390 €350
    i5 4690k €230
    Cooler €100
    Case €100
    Z97 board €100
    250gb SSD €90
    120gb SSD €60
    2tb HDD €90
    600w PSU €80
    16gb RAM €80
    Total €1280

€300 on a 1440p monitor
    €120-150 on a mech keyboard
    €100 on a mouse
    €200 on a nice pair of headphones or speaker

Can get a free windows licence with the insider program if you're up for that. Think forced updates is the catch.

If something has gaming slapped all over it, its generally a bad sign in my eyes. Review the crap out of your peripherals, the actual computer components are easier to buy.

Go to Amazon for parts, budget allows and they're a dream for returns.

Picked upper prices on most things

Any questions ask away

This leaves you open to overclocking, can save yourself a few Euro (like 10 steam games :D if you think you won't OC. Zero benefit for the next few years atleast)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a crazy budget but I wouldn't go spending money for the sake of it. Drop the 390, get a 980ti. Forget the 4690k, get a 4460. Save a packet between the 4690k and a 3rd party cooler, and the CPU will be good for years into the future.

No need to get two seperate SSDs; realistically just get a 480GB SSD - additional storage drive if you feel that 500GB isn't enough for your games and other uses (if you're a heavy downloader, SSD's are wasted really for just storage).

However, You also mentioned VM's - perhaps look at a Xeon e3-1231 as it would benefit you hugely, can use the same board, they're i7's in disguise for the most part, for the cost of the i5-4690k you could have one and it would be far superior.

I think Digital to be fair went out of his way to spend the 2K. :p

I would suggest:

GTX980Ti - 700
    Xeon e3-1231v3 - 250
    Case - 100
    H97/Z97 board - 100
    480GB SSD - 140
    2tb HDD - 90
    600w PSU - 70
    16gb RAM - 80
    Win - 100
    1440p monitor - 350

All the latest gamest at 1440p ultra settings no problem, well equipped for heavy editing/rendering, and well under 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ronan fitzpatrick

It's a crazy budget but I wouldn't go spending money for the sake of it. Drop the 390, get a 980ti. Forget the 4690k, get a 4460. Save a packet between the 4690k and a 3rd party cooler, and the CPU will be good for years into the future.

No need to get two seperate SSDs; realistically just get a 480GB SSD - additional storage drive if you feel that 500GB isn't enough for your games and other uses (if you're a heavy downloader, SSD's are wasted really for just storage).

However, You also mentioned VM's - perhaps look at a Xeon e3-1231 as it would benefit you hugely, can use the same board, they're i7's in disguise for the most part, for the cost of the i5-4690k you could have one and it would be far superior.

I think Digital to be fair went out of his way to spend the 2K. :p

I would suggest:

GTX980Ti - 700
    Xeon e3-1231v3 - 250
    Case - 100
    H97/Z97 board - 100
    480GB SSD - 140
    2tb HDD - 90
    600w PSU - 70
    16gb RAM - 80
    Win - 100
    1440p monitor - 350

All the latest gamest at 1440p ultra settings no problem, well equipped for heavy editing/rendering, and well under 2k.

so this is the cheapest I can do for a build like that uk.pcpartpicker. com/p/sBgRD3 (won't allow me to link because im new) I don't mind the extra 16 or so euro but the problem is the shipping will probably take me a good bit over budget, where could i cut a bit off to cover shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Buy most components from mindfactory.de, get the case, the screen & probably keyboard (as they're regularly out of the English options and don't keep a huge variety of them) from somewhere else to avoid an extra delivery charge (buying direct from Amazon for those three items should be free shipping).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Are locked i5s overclockable now? Is that just i3s still?

Depending on the answer to the above, get a K-series chip (or not).

I'd also tend towards Digital Solitude's build. It's a bit better balanced, IMO.

• Advertisement

It's a crazy budget but I wouldn't go spending money for the sake of it. Drop the 390, get a 980ti.

What? :pac:

Xeon is a good shout OP.

Difference between the builds is, mine is High End, good peripherals, Terrors is absolutely Top of The Line.

Terrors will preform better, for longer, mine will need an expensive GPU upgrade sooner (much sooner) but all the peripherals are high quality, so it depends which you value more.

I forgot about a Xeon though, if you choose my build drop the cooler and get a Xeon CPU.

With Terrors you can get a cheaper motherboard to save a few bob, get the most expensive you're willing to push to, but there's much of a muchness between most models.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Serephucus wrote: »
    Are locked i5s overclockable now? Is that just i3s still?

Skylakes are, only on z170 motherboards though too. Haven't heard anything about previous gen locked CPUs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Skylakes are, only on z170 motherboards though too. Haven't heard anything about previous gen locked CPUs

Yeah, knew about Skylake and all that. Wasn't sure if it was just i3s though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Serephucus wrote: »
    Yeah, knew about Skylake and all that. Wasn't sure if it was just i3s though.

Nope, not just limited to the i3s. The i5 6400 is well overclockable and has hit 4.72Ghz already. Pentiums can be oc'd now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ronan fitzpatrick

Ok so I have looked at parts on Digital build and this is what I came up with. Since this is my first build and I am not to sure I want to ask if these parts are all completely compatible? and is there anything else I need/should change like do I need thermal paste or to buy any wires etc?
    uk.pcpartpicker. com/p/pHpdBm

• Advertisement

It's all good, you have all you need there

Advertisement