Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

$1 billion+ (915 million euros)--What would be the first thing you'd do if you won?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Honesty, I think $1000 is 'too much' money for me since I am fairly frugal so I don't know, probably spend it on holidays and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

"Spend it on fast cars and even faster women then .....I'd probably squander the rest."
    A la George Best.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This post had been deleted.
    Permabear wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Reminds me of the old joke - what's the quickest way to become a millionaire? Start with 100 million and This post had been deleted..

That said, I'd buy Elland Road and give it back to Leeds United. Then I'd buy the club from the current megalomaniac/nutjob owner and sell it on to whichever prospective owners I felt had the best interests of the club/fans at heart for a nominal amount.

"It wouldn't change my life. I'd keep working etc" People like that should feck right off and stop playing the lotto.

I always remember one of the very earliest big Lotto winners - a woman in Galway who won something like £ 3.5m (about € 4.4m). She was asked what she was going to do with the money and her reply was that she was going to buy a new (to her) second hand car and a few extra sheep. The National Lottery officials should have withheld her prize money until she agreed that she was going to be even a little bit more decadent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Zaph wrote: »
    I always remember one of the very earliest big Lotto winners - a woman in Galway who won something like £ 3.5m (about € 4.4m). She was asked what she was going to do with the money and her reply was that she was going to buy a new (to her) second hand car and a few extra sheep. The National Lottery officials should have withheld her prize money until she agreed that she was going to be even a little bit more decadent.

My father went to school with a guy who won £1.8m back in 89-90. 18 months after winning it he went back to work. He'd paid off his mortgage, brought a new car, brought houses and cars for his two (adult) children and went on holidays to the few places they'd always dreamed of going.

He was bored sh!tless pottering around at home. He did say that one of the biggest drawbacks was every time he went to the pub for his usual 4-5 Saturday night pints people in the pub expected him to be buying rounds for everyone and when he didn't they called him tight and a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Classic Rock Man

Hire a private military contractor to assassinate the lizard people controlling the united states

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Pay off my parents mortgage that has about 8 years left on it, they'd probably sell it and ask me to build them a nice place out the country where it's quiet where I'd be happy to.

I'd buy/build my sister's a house each wherever they want to live, my younger sister would be glad of it since she's pregnant with her first child at the minute.

I'd get my Grandad the best healthcare money can buy, he's recently been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and we're waiting to see what stage it's at but it doesn't look good at the minute.

I'd probably help my ex girlfriend set up some sort of fund for autistic children and help them receive more intuitive tutoring through ABA as the government don't help one iota with that and most ABA tutor's have f**ked off to Saudi Arabia, UK and America because there is no work in it here. As bitter as I am over my break-up with that ex, I'd still help her with that since she works/worked with them

I'd open a rock bar with a stage, pool tables, jukeboxes and bands playing every weekend.

Would build myself a nice house with plenty of land, gym, swimming pool, bar, massive kitchen with all the freshest ingredients and I have loads of counter space to cook nice things because I like to cook, I don't have counter space in my own house and I envy anyone that does have a bit to cook stuff, very frustrating having nowhere to put bowls and plates or whatever. On the land I would see about having a music festival like Glastonbury, Donnington or Rock Am Ring on it every year, because Irish festivals are fairly shyte...if I couldn't afford it then never mind but if I could make even a little out of it or not lose money out of it then it would be worth it.

And let's not forget traveling the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GetWit.it

buy a few homes
    Do a bit of traveling

Change the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

The jackpot is now $800 million. I wonder if it will be $900 million by the time the numbers are picked.

I can't even imagine what it would be if there is no winner tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

You must have a huge mortgage.

Sorry delayed reaction there, I didn't say I'd spend it all on that, I said that's the first thing I'd do ! Mortgage would me a tiny sum out of that, then, travel travel travel ! And come back to my fully paid for home. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Yep. The jackpot is now $900 million.

Scratch that. There was no winner tonight. The jackpot is now $1.3 billion dollars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

First-go for a few pints with close friends to celebrate.

Next-pay off the outstanding mortgage on my first cousin's home and buy homes in Wicklow for three other cousins. I have no other close family.

Give a few million away to close friends because what's the point in having money if you can't improve the lives of those nearest and dearest. Being rich would only alienate me from my friends who are struggling to make end meet.

Buy or rent a modest apartment in Howth because I love it there.

Buy a hundred acres at least of land in Wicklow and build a small low impact natural build house in the countryside there and fill it with books, my collection of 1930s/-50s kitchenalia, lots of animals and stuff I've collected on my travels. Something like this with it's round windows:http://myfotolog.tumblr.com/post/13697831451

Set up an intentional community there with a couple dozen people, with self-managed workshops and manage and farm the land according to permaculture principles where everyone has their own small home and plot of land on the farm. No property speculation allowed though.

Travel the world for a year or so, come back and finish my horticulture studies up to Masters level because why not when I love it? also get my Permaculture design diploma.

Give away much of it on helping homeless charities in this country and environmental projects around the world, especially saving rare and endangered species (big nature lover). Invest the rest in small scale sustainable development projects and businesses, especially in developing countries and in Anarchist/Libertarian projects around the world like Mondragon and set up something similar in this country with some like minded friends on the principles of self-management anarcho-syndicalism.

Keep enough to live on and spend the rest of my life growing my own food, travelling, reading, writing books and putting into practice my political philosophy with my friends and comrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The US Powerball Lottery is to reach 1.3 billion next Wednesday .Apparently there are less than 300 million combinations,which makes it prime for a sting.
    It's an obscene amount of money ,you can pocket around 800 million.It takes figuring out what to do with a lottery win to a whole new level.
    I'd buy some guns first,obviously,don't want the Government stealing it.After that I'm thinking power boats,but it still doesn't make a dent.
    How to spend like a high roller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

1.3 billion? It doesn't bare thinking of. I do need some new underwear, so i would probably go to brown thomas and spend €50 on a pair of knickers. I may buy seven pairs. One for each day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

I'd love to enter it but then I'd be opening my emails and all those scam ones I receive about winning it, I'd have to start opening them.

Isn't the lottery in the US taxable? Imagine winning it and then having to hand over some of it.

cronin_j wrote: »
    I'd love to enter it but then I'd be opening my emails and all those scam ones I receive about winning it, I'd have to start opening them.

Isn't the lottery in the US taxable? Imagine winning it and then having to hand over some of it.

500 million goes to Uncle Sam . Incredible numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'd get a man in to dig the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

kneemos wrote: »
    The US Powerball Lottery is to reach 1.3 billion next Wednesday .Apparently there are less than 300 million combinations,which makes it prime for a sting.
    It's an obscene amount of money ,you can pocket around 800 million.It takes figuring out what to do with a lottery win to a whole new level.
    I'd buy some guns first,obviously,don't want the Government stealing it.After that I'm thinking power boats,but it still doesn't make a dent.
    How to spend like a high roller?
    If you take it in a lump sum you pay tax on it otherwise you can take a set amount every year until you die so that rules any idea of doing all the combinations. Even if you could do all the combinations there could be also other winners.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

cronin_j wrote: »

Our lotteries are also taxed, the tax man has just already taken the money from the pot before it is called prizes.

robinph wrote: »
    Our lotteries are also taxed, the tax man has just already taken the money from the pot before it is called prizes.

Not as bad as winning the jackpot and having to hand over part of it in taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Not as bad as winning the jackpot and having to hand over part of it in taxes.

Think they must like not knowing the actual price of things over there. Buy stuff in a shop where it says one number on the shelf, then they add a bunch of taxes to it at the till. Win x million in the lottery, but this time they did include the taxes in the number just to fool you the opposite way.

Americans are weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Open a pet store called "**** Ass Pet ****ers." The entire plan is outlined here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL61429ED34FAEF272&v=gO9PwbtlOIU

Think they must like not knowing the actual price of things over there. Buy stuff in a shop where it says one number on the shelf, then they add a bunch of taxes to it at the till. Win x million in the lottery, but this time they did include the taxes in the number just to fool you the opposite way.

Americans are weird.
    The winners usually take the lump sum and there are plenty horror stories of people that won millions and blew the lot in a few years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭deepesthole

How can I buy a ticket online? Anybody done it? Would prefer Paypal.

Edit: I just bought them. Checked out the website first though, I'm sure there's plenty of dodgy ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

1 billion my eye, if you were to win it don't they give you an option of certain amount of money each month till you kick it or a one of lump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

In the States if you decide to take your winnings on an instalment plan do they tax you less?

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    In the States if you decide to take your winnings on an instalment plan do they tax you less?
    It looks like it based on the payout. Isn't it $500m for the lump sum and $700m for the installments? Probably costs them nothing extra as they make up the extra $200m no bother in interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

The can have the 1.3 billion over 29 years or 800 million straight up,minus taxes.
    Not sure where the 500 million goes,presumably state tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Americans are weird.

Not that hard to understand what your state tax is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Had 3 numbers, enough for $7 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I'd buy a huge bit of land somewhere in Dublin and turn it into the best pitch and putt course in Europe. Then I'd pay Georgia Salpa to send me a picture of her gee. I'd relocate to London and get a season ticket at Arsenal, which would leave me with about a tenner, at which point I'd buy Kleenex and make use of that photo from Salps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Buy a small island, next to another small island. Build an army. Invade. Grow long beard and smoker cigars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Everything on red- double or nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'd buy the playboy mansion which is currently on the market, and a nice smoking jacket. I would honour its history and keep its traditions going.

But where does the 500 million go if the winner takes the lump sum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I'd buy a huge bit of land somewhere in Dublin and turn it into the best pitch and putt course in Europe. Then I'd pay Georgia Salpa to send me a picture of her gee. I'd relocate to London and get a season ticket at Arsenal, which would leave me with about a tenner, at which point I'd buy Kleenex and make use of that photo from Salps.

Should you not be busy studying for your junior cert or something ???
    700 million an you want a picture of some young ones gee ?? Good lord pull yourself together ( no pun intended)
    Boobies is where it's at Boobies my dear lad.

How can I buy a ticket online? Anybody done it? Would prefer Paypal.

Edit: I just bought them. Checked out the website first though, I'm sure there's plenty of dodgy ones.

Where do you go for a ticket online?

If you bought a ticket online for the Irish lottery, it requires you to be a resident of Ireland. Would this be the same for America, do you have to live there to buy a ticket?

Imagine winning the jackpot and they don't give it to you because you don't live in the states?

The jackpot is 1.3 billion.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Now that it's rolled over and could reach $1.3bn, in all honesty I'd take the lump sum and use it to fund a tech start-up incubator. I'd be a less competent Ehrlich Bachmann. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I'd be a less competent Ehrlich Bachmann. :pac:

Just how much dope do you plan on smoking? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Liamario wrote: »
    They haven't invented small enough tools for that yet. At least that's what ur ma says when we talk about you.

My ma is dead???

The Raptor wrote: »
    Where do you go for a ticket online?

If you bought a ticket online for the Irish lottery, it requires you to be a resident of Ireland. Would this be the same for America, do you have to live there to buy a ticket?

Imagine winning the jackpot and they don't give it to you because you don't live in the states?
    Not to advocate one over the other, I went for thelotter.com. Couldn't pay by Paypal though.
    The company holds the ticket so can claim the prize, but they have a contract with you to transfer the money. I've no idea how legally binding that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

If ye're all interested, St. Fechaoien's Slashers GAA club monthly lottery has gone into four figures this January, and the Hon. Sec. says there's still a few tickets left if ye hurry down to Gasher McGinty's lounge bar before the draw tonight! I'm in for a tenner, and it's coke and hookers for me all the way if i win!

Not to advocate one over the other, I went for thelotter.com. Couldn't pay by Paypal though.
    The company holds the ticket so can claim the prize, but they have a contract with you to transfer the money. I've no idea how legally binding that is!

If they were to contact me, i would probably think its a scam. Imagine giving them your bank details or to be told its in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- Threads merged, op updated.

The Raptor wrote: »
    If they were to contact me, i would probably think its a scam. Imagine giving them your bank details or to be told its in the post.
    Well you know what your numbers are and you can check those when the draw is made. I can't see how they fake a win and ask for you bank details really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Buy all the empty lots and run down estates left over from PPP regeneration programs and actually turn them into decent places for homeless people to live. Wouldn't cost even a tenth of the total prize money, or to put it another way the amount we've wasted setting up Irish Water. :rolleyes:

Advertisement