Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

$1 billion+ (915 million euros)--What would be the first thing you'd do if you won?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 quarefarmers

Give it to my friend in the know,hopefully he'd turn it into 3 billion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Not to advocate one over the other, I went for thelotter.com. Couldn't pay by Paypal though.
    The company holds the ticket so can claim the prize, but they have a contract with you to transfer the money. I've no idea how legally binding that is!

Dont you have to prove you were in the country when you bought the ticket. How do online companies get around that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

This prize is too big now, they should give the first 1000 winners
    a million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭halkar

Probably get heart attack first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭deepesthole

Dont you have to prove you were in the country when you bought the ticket. How do online companies get around that?
    From what the site said, they "hold" the ticket. So they collect the win and then hand it over.
    It's the handing over half a billion dollars I'm most skeptical about, but I'm sure they'd be sued to hell and back if they didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

How does the taxation work if you buy the ticket on-line?

Would you pay the income tax in Ireland or would you have to elect a state in the US to hand the tax to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have a ticket in it. I'll let you know when I win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Wham bars, I'd buy hundreds and thousands of boxes of wham bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Up to 1.5 billion now:
    http://www.powerball.com/

Drawing is tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I heard there's a video going around of some cctv footage from a restaurant where the staff thought they'd won. There's 42 of them jumping up and down until they realise they're looking at a ticket from a different draw. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

smash wrote: »
    I heard there's a video going around of some cctv footage from a restaurant where the staff thought they'd won. There's 42 of them jumping up and down until they realise they're looking at a ticket from a different draw. :D

http://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemcneal/so-close-yet-so-far#.pvv8OnbrA

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mantis1234

I'd buy a small Island and set up my own little Private Military Company. I'd do the dirty work for people that need dirty work done, slowly bringing in money and expanding the company. Eventually it would grow massive and I would form my own country. I would use advanced medical technology to stay alive for as long as possible. When I die I would pass my legacy onto my son who would continue my long term goal of taking over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Sleepy wrote: »
    How does the taxation work if you buy the ticket on-line?

Would you pay the income tax in Ireland or would you have to elect a state in the US to hand the tax to?

According to the guide for Canadians buying tickets, Uncle Sam takes at least 30% as you are a non-resident alien. The Canadian government then takes nothing, which is nice. Not sure our lads would be so generous.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/powerball-canada-5-things-1.3401641

• Registered Users Posts: 27 P1nkSheep

Id buy a house in Sandbanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Buy a load of land in Dublin off NAMA that is intended for shopping centres and office buildings or 'units' but instead just build 1 little thatched cottage in the middle of each site, put a few trees around it and a nice shed and a swing. Let them out for free to people down on their luck. Maybe do the same with some existing Celtic Tiger buildings, knock them and put a small cottage on the site. Or buy a load of Spar shops and make them exactly like they would have looked in 1950 complete with grumpy proprietor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

How can I enter from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well it's been won by one ticket in California. I wonder how they're feeling right now!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Three winners, in California, Tennessee and Florida.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Three winners, in California, Tennessee and Florida.
    Take the lump sum, minus tax.. around 195 to 200 million each. I wouldn't be complaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

smash wrote: »
    Take the lump sum, minus tax.. around 195 to 200 million each. I wouldn't be complaining.

I bet they're glad they listen to the "idiot tax" crowd ;)

Advertisement