Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electricians advice needed fitting power shower

Options
  • 08-01-2016 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Wasn't going wiring wanted to know where cable was being ran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There's no alternative to running back to fuse box is there or can it be linked to an existing circuit in attic I know not lighting but I think there's power going to a frost stat
    There's no alternative no linking

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Timber planks

Sound

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I am going fitting a triton t80 xr in an upstairs bathroom sick of waiting around filling baths and I'll be tapping my mains water from pipe feeding cistern above in the attic with gate valve between rising main and shower itself no problem with the plumbing side of things just said I'd write it down to have half the job on paper and here's what I need help with I'll be wiring the shower to from starting at shower and will be running a 10mm cable to 45a pull cord / breaker switch and will I have to run back 10mm wire to fuse box control unit which is down stairs but it's not too hard get back to it ****dont worry I won't be making any connections to fuse board just getting everything as near done as I can. There's no alternative to running back to fuse box is there or can it be linked to an existing circuit in attic I know not lighting but I think there's power going to a frost stat lamp if I'm thinking of same attic bit late to check for sure until morning but I'd appreciate a bit of advice

No offence but this is one of the scariest things I've read for a while on here. What you are suggesting to do would almost certainly set your house on fire one day. The really is no alternative but to run a suitable cable from the fuseboard to the shower connected to a properly rated rcbo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

I am going fitting a triton t80 xr in an upstairs bathroom sick of waiting around filling baths and I'll be tapping my mains water from pipe feeding cistern above in the attic with gate valve between rising main and shower itself no problem with the plumbing side of things just said I'd write it down to have half the job on paper and here's what I need help with I'll be wiring the shower to from starting at shower and will be running a 10mm cable to 45a pull cord / breaker switch and will I have to run back 10mm wire to fuse box control unit which is down stairs but it's not too hard get back to it ****dont worry I won't be making any connections to fuse board just getting everything as near done as I can. There's no alternative to running back to fuse box is there or can it be linked to an existing circuit in attic I know not lighting but I think there's power going to a frost stat lamp if I'm thinking of same attic bit late to check for sure until morning but I'd appreciate a bit of advice

This is impossible to read.
    Have you ever heard of full stops or commas.

aido79 wrote: »
    No offence but this is one of the scariest things I've read for a while on here. What you are suggesting to do would almost certainly set your house on fire one day. The really is no alternative but to run a suitable cable from the fuseboard to the shower connected to a properly rated rcbo.

As I said I'm running a cable up never said I was going wiring anything

• Advertisement

As I said I'm running a cable up never said I was going wiring anything

That's not the worrying part. It doesn't matter who wires it. There are no other 10mm cables in your house and tapping into any other circuits would be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You haven't a breeze everything you're suggesting is cutting corners. Get an electrician in and get it done properly.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You haven't a breeze everything you're suggesting is cutting corners. Get an electrician in and get it done properly.

Cutting corners by asking a question I never said I was going wiring up simply running the cable from shower to attic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Originally Posted by Timber planks View Post

Here's the thing, it is illegal for you to do any of this work. The law clearly says a competent person. The statement above clearly shows you are not competent in this area ( no offense intended), in fact you are way out of your comfort level. Being able to know the difference between L N E isn't good enough. The fact that you are running a 10 mm cable should tell you that there is nothing in your attic to "tap" into. The regulations state that this should be a dedicated cable running from rcbo to isolation switch & then to shower. Nothing else. Its illegal to even connect a bathroom fan into this.

I strongly suggest you bite the bullet & get a registered electrical contractor to do this. I doubt you'll get one to cert the work you have done anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

That's not the worrying part. It doesn't matter who wires it. There are no other 10mm cables in your house and tapping into any other circuits would be dangerous.

I assume no electrician would agree to do that anyways?

• Advertisement

I'd i say I I was doing it ye spastics read the ****ing thing properly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You are not competent to run the cable.
    You're a great man. You post here looking for advice. You don't like the advice professionals are giving you, you you resort to name calling.

From reading your original post it sounded like you were suggesting tapping into the circuit for the frost stat lamp which would be a 1.5mm cable at most. Your post was badly written so its hard to tell if that's what you actually meant.

pajero12 wrote: »
    I assume no electrician would agree to do that anyways?

No even the worst of them would attempt something like that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

I am a qualified electrician and just saw this post. Absolutely no alternative to running shower back to mains. It needs it's own dedicated supply. If you want my opinion then run the cable fine. From shower to pull chord isolator and a second from there to fuse board. Do not wire anything yourself! Get an electrician from there to do all the connecting. If you make a mistake anywhere by doing this yourself you run a real risk of causing fire!

What I was wanting to know is if I needed 15 meters of cable or 5 meters I wouldn't touch something I know nothing at all about have to shoot a wire up that's it and no point buying a small bit only to be wanting more

What I was wanting to know is if I needed 15 meters of cable or 5 meters I wouldn't touch something I know nothing at all about have to shoot a wire up that's it and no point buying a small bit only to be wanting more

You need to be clearer when asking for advice. You have been given enough advice here to figure out how much cable you need...just make sure you know what the best route to the fuseboard is from the shower. I would advise against running the cable yourself as you could be liable in the event of the cable being damaged along the route if the damage caused results in a fire. This really isn't the type of cable you want to install yourself just to save a few euros. A lot of electricians wouldn't even terminate this cable if someone else other than themselves ran it. It's better to have too much than too little cable and while cable can be expensive fullstops aren't so maybe you should consider using them.

Your dead right Tis pure scary putting a wire up into the attic when it's not even connected to electricity it might be scared of the dark you mean is it ha

You need to be clearer when asking for advice. You have been given enough advice here to figure out how much cable you need...just make sure you know what the best route to the fuseboard is from the shower. I would advise against running the cable yourself as you could be liable in the event of the cable being damaged along the route if the damage caused results in a fire. This really isn't the type of cable you want to install yourself just to save a few euros. A lot of electricians wouldn't even terminate this cable if someone else other than themselves ran it. It's better to have too much than too little cable and while cable can be expensive fullstops aren't so maybe you should consider using them.

I understand all that thanks for being worried all I want is a measurement im wouldn't even chance cutting someone's hair never mind do something unknown altogether to me😊 👍

I understand all that thanks for being worried all I want is a measurement im wouldn't even chance cutting someone's hair never mind do something unknown altogether to me😊 👍

The keyboards not working properly on my phone ha

• Advertisement

Your dead right Tis pure scary putting a wire up into the attic when it's not even connected to electricity it might be scared of the dark you mean is it ha

I couldn't care less if you fill your attic with cable to be honest. The scary part was you suggesting tapping into a frost stat lamp circuit for a shower.

You didn't give enough information for anyone to work out a measurement for the cable but you have been given enough info to work it out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That's not too easy.

Advertisement