Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband

Options
  • 08-01-2016 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I live in Warrenstown, Meath with an 04690**** number and can not get broadband to my home.

It is preventing me from working from home. When will the lines be upgraded and can Eir do anything to help us?

It is ridiculous that in 2016 we can live less then 25km from a major city and cannot get broadband. 

Please help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

I live in Warrenstown, Meath with an 04690**** number and can not get broadband to my home.

It is preventing me from working from home. When will the lines be upgraded and can Eir do anything to help us?

It is ridiculous that in 2016 we can live less then 25km from a major city and cannot get broadband. 

Please help!
    Hi SirBricktop

Please PM me your full land line number and I will look in to this further for you

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SirBricktop

Any update?

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi [/font]SirBricktop

[font=Times New Roman","serif]I have now been able to obtain a complete update on this for you. Your line is indeed qualifying for broadband however the fastest eir can offer you is (up to) 1Mb - this would be considered quite slow in modern terms and ultimately can only be recommended by very light internet browsing. The reason why I include the term (up to) in brackets is because a full 1Mb can't be guaranteed - honestly it could be anything up to 1Mb and ultimately eir cannot offer a guarantee - I'll detail the reason in the next paragraph:[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Your line is served by the Tara exchange. This exchange is located of 8Km away (not as the crow flies but in terms of a lines distance which can take a variety of paths and routes) The max range that an exchange can serve broadband is between 6 & 8Km. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Ultimately there is no immediate date that I can suggest when faster speeds will be available however [/font]open eir's FTTH (Fibre to the home) 2017-2020 roll out programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises served by the Tara exchange - I understand 2020 is quite a distance away and I'm sorry I can't offer better news.

Many thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SirBricktop

So never is the answer.

I tried this before with Eircom when we first moved in and it was literally worse than dial up (I remember those days!) and had to pay Eircom three months BB fees for the non service.

Our house is literally a stones throw from a property with an 01 825**** number connected to the Dunshauglin exchange. Can Eir run a new line from there to our house?

I work in Dublin city centre and cannot currently work from home as I have no BB.

So never is the answer.

I tried this before with Eircom when we first moved in and it was literally worse than dial up (I remember those days!) and had to pay Eircom three months BB fees for the non service.

Our house is literally a stones throw from a property with an 01 825**** number connected to the Dunshauglin exchange. Can Eir run a new line from there to our house?

I work in Dublin city centre and cannot currently work from home as I have no BB.
    Hi SirBricktop

I'm genuinely sorry to hear thsi is having such a large impact for you.

I had already looked at the possibility of connecting a new line from the Dunsaughlin exchange however I have been informed that the near bye lines in your area are still only qualifying for up to 1Mb due to the route taken of lines from Dunsaughlin to your specific area. Also, while you can request a new line is installed there is no guarantee of broadband but the contract for the line would still apply as it's provided on it's own merits (make and receive a call)

Also, never is not the answer - I had also advised you that eirs Fibre to the home roll out programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises served by the Tara exchange although this is not predicted to complete for another four years unfortunately.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement