Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet Insurance where a dog has not got a full vaccination history

• 08-01-2016 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Hi. Hope you might be able to help me with a query I have.

My parents asked me 4 years ago to help them to take out pet insurance for their dog. They have been paying this insurance ever since. The dog was 4 at the time

Their dog was diagnosed with Arthritis late last year and they put in a claim for the cost of the out of hours vet call out and associated bills.

The insurance company came back looking for a full clinical history and vaccination history etc. The vet (same vet has always looked after the dog) and sent all the information he had to the insurance company.

It turned out that when my parents got the dog from the pound (he was one at the time) they had not brought him for his vaccinations up until the time that they took out the pet insurance. The dog was never sick so in their ignorance they never brought him to the vets for almost 2 and half years.

Ever since they took out the pet insurance they have always brought the dog for his vaccinations so for the last 4 years there is a full clinical and vaccination history.

As expected the insurance company will not pay out due to the 'gap'. However as my parents only recently paid for this years insurance they have agreed to reimburse this amount.

My question is: Is the dog un insureable for illness cover?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would have expected them to say it was a pre-existing illness rather than use the gap as excuse?.. although I've heard stories of a company we're not allowed name reject claims for the same reason. I'm with Allianz and you don't have to vaccinate but you do have to take the dog for an annual health check. If you don't vaccinate and they get say parvo then you're just not covered for bills related to that illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I really hate how insurance companies work.
    They will happily take your premiums for 4 years yet when you go to make a claim, you are uninsured. If you were uninsured for 4 years, you should be refunded all the premiums as you had no cover.

I hate how they will use any excuse to not pay out or underpay. Arthritis has nothing to do with vaccinations! If the dog picked up something that he should have been vaccinated for, fair enough but arthritis??

And not just pet insurance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I really hate how insurance companies work.
    They will happily take your premiums for 4 years yet when you go to make a claim, you are uninsured. If you were uninsured for 4 years, you should be refunded all the premiums as you had no cover.

I hate how they will use any excuse to not pay out or underpay. Arthritis has nothing to do with vaccinations! If the dog picked up something that he should have been vaccinated for, fair enough but arthritis??

And not just pet insurance

I agree. I said to them when I rang (on my parents behalf). I asked how could vaccinations help with not getting arthritis. They said that with the majority of illness claims the dog has to have a full vaccination history.

gazzer wrote: »
    I agree. I said to them when I rang (on my parents behalf). I asked how could vaccinations help with not getting arthritis. They said that with the majority of illness claims the dog has to have a full vaccination history.

What company is it or is it the one that we're not allowed mention (check the form stickies)?

Just checked the stickies and yeah its the one we are not allowed mention

• Advertisement

:( I've only ever had one claim sent back by Allianz where it had crossed too many claim years or something. I let it go because it was only a small one. Got my statement off them last year when I was renewing and we had 7k+ in 3 years :eek:

Maybe I should check with Alianz so and see if they will cover their dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Why would the gap[ have any impact? Vaccination is from one year to the next, with a bit of leeway. Once vaccinated, the dog should be protected. In any case, arthritis has no relation to the diseases covered by normal vaccinations. If the company decides not to cover, they should look for *all* of their money back, not just this year's.

Maybe I should check with Alianz so and see if they will cover their dog.

It's a pre-existing condition now - you/your vet would be obliged to disclose it? Would your vet not argue the case with the other crowd - you've nothing to lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Each insurance company has different terms in the small print. Allianz do not require your dog to be fully vaccinated each year since the time you acquired the dog. But if your dog comes down with one of the infections that you *can* vaccinate against, then you can't claim, which is fair enough.

Another company won't honour your claim if you can't show a full vaccination history, even if the illness has nothing to do with the diseases vaccinated against.

If the dog is less than seven years old I would switch to Allianz.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »
    Each insurance company has different terms in the small print. Allianz do not require your dog to be fully vaccinated each year since the time you acquired the dog. But if your dog comes down with one of the infections that you *can* vaccinate against, then you can't claim, which is fair enough.

Another company won't honour your claim if you can't show a full vaccination history, even if the illness has nothing to do with the diseases vaccinated against.

If the dog is less than seven years old I would switch to Allianz.

Thanks for the information. Its my own fault for not reading the small print and shopping around initially when I took out the policy. The dog will be 9 at the end of this year.

Thanks for the information. Its my own fault for not reading the small print and shopping around initially when I took out the policy. The dog will be 9 at the end of this year.

TBH the policy terms and conditions can and do change every year so don't beat yourself up about it! :( My vet has told me loads of stories about that company! Glad we went with Allianz!

Advertisement