Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd gen Nest/Climote promotion - new customer

Options
  • 08-01-2016 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello

I am interested in switching my electricity (and possibly gas) supply to Electric Ireland to avail of 3rd gen Nest/Climote promotion. Couple of questions:

1)     Is my apartment suitable for Nest/Climote? I have 3-bed apt on the 1 floor of the 5 floor bulding (Dublin 18). Currently there is no thermostat, no zones, just GLOW WORM Boiler with non-digital timer. Heating and water are not separated.

2)     Nest vs Climote – ideally I’d like to separate Heating and water, and have 2 zones – living room and bedrooms. Is Nest or Climote more suitable?

3)     How long does it take to switch and get Nest/Climote installed?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi kozak,

Thanks for your query.
    kozak wrote:
    1) Is my apartment suitable for Nest/Climote? I have 3-bed apt on the 1 floor of the 5 floor bulding (Dublin 18). Currently there is no thermostat, no zones, just GLOW WORM Boiler with non-digital timer. Heating and water are not separated.

The Nest Learning Thermostat would probably be the more suitable choice here. It has been designed to work with the majority of boiler systems in the EU, and can be installed alongside Glowworm boilers (including models such as the cxi, Ultracom2 sxi, Flexicom sx, Ultracom2 cxi, Ultracom2 35 Store, Flexicom 24cx, 30 cx and 35cx). See here for more information.
    kozak wrote:
    2) Nest vs Climote – ideally I’d like to separate Heating and water, and have 2 zones – living room and bedrooms. Is Nest or Climote more suitable?

The new 3rd Generation Nest is capable of controlling both heating and hot water separately (see here for more information). However if you are looking to eventually expand and also separate your heating zones, Climote would then be the more suitable choice.
    kozak wrote:
    3) How long does it take to switch and get Nest/Climote installed?

In general, switching suppliers can take up to 20 working days to fully process, but installation itself, when scheduled, can be as quick as 45 minutes. It can depend of course on the scope of work that needs to be done. For more information on this, we would recommend calling our Home Services team directly on 1850 30 50 85.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
    David

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

Hi David

thanks for your answers.
    Couple of other questions:

1)     How does Nest handle multiple rooms? For example, my apt has living room and 3 bedrooms, all differnet sizes. Say, Nest thermostat is in living room, are there temperature sensors in bedrooms?

2)     3rd Gen Nest controls Water and heating separately. Will it always work or it depends on plumbing? Currently Water and heating circuits not separated.   

3)     Auto-Away feature - Say, Nest thermostat is in living room, but all family is in bedroom. Will Nest switch heating off? If yes can this feature be disabled?

Thanks
    Vadim   

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi kozak,
    kozak wrote:
    How does Nest handle multiple rooms? For example, my apt has living room and 3 bedrooms, all differnet sizes. Say, Nest thermostat is in living room, are there temperature sensors in bedrooms?

A single Nest Thermostat isn't designed to handle multiple rooms with different sensors; it is intended to replace your boiler's main programmer/thermostat. To handle multiple rooms you would need a multi-zone heating system and two or more Nest Thermostats working together. Another option with multi-zone would be climote.
    kozak wrote:
    3rd Gen Nest controls Water and heating separately. Will it always work or it depends on plumbing? Currently Water and heating circuits not separated.

With the 3rd-gen Nest, if your current thermostat controls both your heating and your hot water, you can simply have a Nest Thermostat installed. There's no need to install a separate hot water programmer.

For more information on what kind of hot water tanks can be controlled by the 3rd-gen Nest, see here.
    kozak wrote:
    Auto-Away feature - Say, Nest thermostat is in living room, but all family is in bedroom. Will Nest switch heating off? If yes can this feature be disabled?

Auto-Away needs about a week to tailor to your home. A notification on the display will appear when it has learned enough to start using Auto-Away.

When Auto-Away activates entirely depends on you; it learns your routine over time. If you see your Nest Thermostat going into Auto-Away when you're home, just press the Nest Thermostat to return to your normal schedule. This helps the device learn. The Nest Learning will adapt how long it senses inactivity before it goes into Auto-Away based on what it learns from you. It can also be disabled entirely if you wish.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions we'll be happy to help.

Regards,
    David

Hi David

Please confirm 3rd Gen Nest will work with my Glow-worm 18si Boiler (Fanned Flue wall mounted modulating boiler with electronic ignition providing central heating and hot water).

If this is the case what is the next step?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi kozak,

We are sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The type of boiler that you mentioned is compatible with Nest. However the technician will still have to perform overall checks prior to installation. This can only be done on site on the day of the installation.

If you wish to apply for a Nest price plan, you can do so online or you can call our colleagues in the Home Services department on 1850 305 085 to sign up.

We hope this helps. Please do ask if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

• Advertisement

The type of boiler that you mentioned is compatible with Nest. However the technician will still have to perform overall checks prior to installation. This can only be done on site on the day of the installation.
    ________

This means that after switch to Electric Ireland on the Nest installation day technician may find something with our boiler or plumbing that makes use of Nest impossible.

Please clarify can we un-switch in this case as Nest is the main reason for us to switch.

Thanks    

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Electric Ireland: Brige N

Hi Kozak,

Thanks for your inquiry.

If your boiler is compatible then you should be fine when the technician calls to the property to complete the installation. However, if it is the case that the Nest cannot be installed then we can certainly cancel the switch without exit fees.

We must advise you that the switch would not be automatically cancelled so should there be any issues with the installation we would advise that you contact Electric Ireland as soon as possible.

We hope this helps. If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thanks,
    Brige

________

Hello

Last Fri I was told that on Mon (today) I'll receive a call to get my Nest instal appointment.

However, nobody phoned me today. Please arrange call for tomorrow Tue.

Thanks
    Vadim (Ref 10060708KO)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi kozak/Vadim,

Sorry to read of this delay - if you private message us your full name, address and telephone number, we will send your details to Home Services as soon as we receive them.

Thanks,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

kozak wrote: »
    Hello

Last Fri I was told that on Mon (today) I'll receive a call to get my Nest instal appointment.

However, nobody phoned me today. Please arrange call for tomorrow Tue.

Thanks
    Vadim (Ref 10060708KO)

They are having stock issues. I switched 4 weeks ago, was meant to be installed between 1-6 last Friday but they cancelled at 16:30 , then it was meant to be installed tomorrow but they cancelled that today as they have none in stock..,

• Advertisement

Hi ted1,

We are sorry to read this.

If there is anything we can help you with, do send us a private message with the following information:
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • The first line of your address
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

Hi ted1,

We are sorry to read this.

If there is anything we can help you with, do send us a private message with the following information:
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • Your contact number or date of birth
    • Confirmation you are the account holder (a sentence stating this is sufficient)

Thanks,
    Aoife

________
    Aoife when will they back in stock?

Hi ted1,

Thank you for getting back to us.

We are looking into this for you at the moment. We will get back to you as soon as we can.

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

Is it really going to take till the 3rd of March?

Hi again ted1,

To help us look into this further, we need you to please send us a private message with the following information:
    • Your full name
    • Your account number
    • Your contact number

Thanks,
    Aoife

________

Advertisement