Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord gave me a cheque for €750 for Christmas - WTF

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jjwada

Being an accountant I do know that when doing his taxes the rent is not calculated as monthly, but yearly, so he can just add up all rent received - minus rent refunded to arrive at his figure.

A friend of mine called it a "no claims bonus". I thought that was both funny and accurate.

Makes me very happy anyway, which is all that counts to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Very nice gesture.

However if I was a landlord I'd wouldn't be doing this. It could have some unintended consequences. For instance if the oil burner starts to act up, this could act as an incentive for the tenant not to bring it to the landlords attention. So by the time the landlord does find out about the issue it could have become a much bigger and more costly problem . Replace oil burner with leaks, damp etc and your short term money saving scheme could cost you in the long run.

That seems very devious thinking. For me the opposite would be true. I would know the landlord could be asked and would help. And who would put up with damp and leaks to get money at Christmas? This is simply a generous gesture and should not be so misinterpreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My last landlord called up with a card and expensive bottle of wine last year and we are still in touch now as I've helped them with IT issues and advice in the past and they in turn have offered me a discount on their holiday home abroad if I fancied a break :)

Not every LL is a chancer or unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    My last landlord called up with a card and expensive bottle of wine last year and we are still in touch now as I've helped them with IT issues and advice in the past and they in turn have offered me a discount on their holiday home abroad if I fancied a break

Sweet!

Advertisement