Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler bed or single?

Options
  • 08-01-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions on moving our 2 yr old from a cot to a bed in March when we move home to ireland.

Is there any real use to the small beds? All I can see is them being an expense of new bed and new mattress and new sheets for maybe a year or so? Then need to buy all new stuff again for a single?

Anyone have any experience of those ikea beds that stretch?

Any recommendations for low down singles?

My head is fried lol!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Looking for opinions on moving our 2 yr old from a cot to a bed in March when we move home to ireland.

Is there any real use to the small beds? All I can see is them being an expense of new bed and new mattress and new sheets for maybe a year or so? Then need to buy all new stuff again for a single?

Anyone have any experience of those ikea beds that stretch?

Any recommendations for low down singles?

My head is fried lol!

Normal Adult single bed, with a guard rail?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

We put out 2 year old from a cot into her own 4ft 6" double , she love it , handy if she needs one of us to sleep in with her any night and it'll do her till she leaves home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

He struggles a bit to get on the double bed that in his room at the moment ( it's beside his cot) so I'd be a little hesitant about the full height ones. Although he will grow he just seems to try once and then give up and ask for help up! Maybe a stool though?

I'm just wondering if I'm missing something about the smaller beds and why people have them!

Hell def need a guard rail as he moves all over the place at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

All ours went straight to adult single beds without a hitch. Rarely, a child falls out. By the time you've run up the stairs they're back in the bed asleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We have a toddler bed and a shorter single bed from ikea and got them because the room wouldn't fit 2 single beds. I can sleep in the single bed so it's not too short but our plan is to move to bunk beds when my son is around 6-7. The toddler bed will only last for 2 years max.

• Advertisement

I think we'll focus on low single beds then. Maybe a double depending on the room size he ends up with!

Thanks all!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The double bed is a godsend to be honest. If he's having a bad night one of us goes in with him to settle him, rather than getting into a bad habit of having him in with us and then nobody sleeps well.

You could also get the little toilet step to help him get up into bed. You'll need it down the line anyway for toilet training and by that stage, he'll be well able to climb up on the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Another vote here for the double bed. So handy when you can get into the bed with them. We shoved ours against the wall and a guardrail up on other side.

Never thought of toddler step to get into the bed - genius! Sliding down off it is easy enough and we have a box window they climb up on beside the end of the bed to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 blondchick

A four fèet double bed placed against the wall. You can tuck them up in the middle and it is great to have a bigger bed as they get older and if you have people to stay and need to move kids around it's great
    Aldo room for teddies!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

We moved from the cot to a normal adult single bed and a bed guard. No issues at all. Many friends told us not to waste our money on a toddler bed and I'm glad we followed their advice!! Also, we did as recommended and got a cheap mattress to allow for any accidents (not waking to go the bathroom). Will replace with a more expensive mattress once that stage is mastered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We have a toddler but but only because our 25 month olds cot converted into one. She loves it. The 6 month old is in an ordinary cot but when the time comes we'll just buy a single bed then. I wouldn't bought a toddler bed specifically if my cot hadn't converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My two year old in on a double mattress on the floor. Its the job! I couldn't be dealing with the stress the possibility of him falling off a bed. It looks nice too, makes the room seem more spacious. And of course I spend most of the night in it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Great thread girls! My guy in a cot bed but I am defo going to get a small double when he outgrows it. Went back to work Wednesday after two weeks off and he has been very unsettled at night and has been in our bed. Spent the whole night in it last night along with a dog :eek::eek: I got very little sleep :(
    the funny thing is we are buying a new bed this week but were going to get a 5ft now I think we should get a 6ft ;)

Def go for the six! My husband and I didn't know ourselves when we moved from a double to a king.
    I'm glad now I didn't she'll out the extra money for a cot that switched to a bed. Sure we never even lowered the sides to get him in. Have an ikea cheap cot here in Germany and its grand if only a little small. His cot in ireland is bigger I think!

Def go for the six! My husband and I didn't know ourselves when we moved from a double to a king.
    I'm glad now I didn't she'll out the extra money for a cot that switched to a bed. Sure we never even lowered the sides to get him in. Have an ikea cheap cot here in Germany and its grand if only a little small. His cot in ireland is bigger I think!

Dori I just hope we can get a 6ft that is higher than our lockers. We bought all the hemnes furniture for our room and planning on getting hemnes bed.

I have an ikea cot....the cheapest one which we had in our room after he outgrew Moses basket and a cot bed in his room. Cot bed is bigger as has to be dismantled to leave the room. :rolleyes:
    Cots are usually all the same size as are cot beds.

It's probably just my perception then! He hasn't been in it since the summer and he's grown a lot since then! Although I do know that all the ikea furniture is odd sizes, so if you get their beds/mattress you'll only fit their sheets etc. same if you buy their duvet and pillows only their covers will fit well.

It's probably just my perception then! He hasn't been in it since the summer and he's grown a lot since then! Although I do know that all the ikea furniture is odd sizes, so if you get their beds/mattress you'll only fit their sheets etc. same if you buy their duvet and pillows only their covers will fit well.

Ikea can sell weird sizes alright! Even when looking for our own bed we were trying to figure out what was 5th and 6ft.

Standard cot size Is 60cm x 120cm and cot bed 70cm x 140cm. We bought the cheap ikea cot think it is around €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I moved by daughter to a four foot bed (small double bed) in Oct. We had borrowed a cot and the owners needed it for their new baby. I used no bed rail. I put the bed against the wall and her cot mattress on the ground. She will only be two at the end of the month but it worked a dream. She's never fallen out and sleeps much better. I invested in a good mattress and put a matress protector on top. I got a double bed as two adults can sleep in it if staying over although it would be cosy!! I've been in it the odd night and I sleep great compared to two in a single bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

We have a toddler bed which was given to us and I think it's a tad small for real comfort. If we we were starting again and didn't have the offer of a free bed, I probably wouldn't buy one. I think id go straight to a double mattress on the ground and get a bed frame when he/she was more able for the height.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We have an IKEA kid's bed, it's bigger than a toddler bed, but not quite a full single. We're all in the one bedroom (one bed apartment) so it just gave us that little bit of extra space. I've actually slept in it once or twice (the little man and my hubby were insistent on sprawling all over our double) and it was comfy enough, I just couldn't fully straighten my legs. It didn't cost the earth and would probably do him until he's about 10 or so unless he's unusually tall. The bed was €70 and the mattress was €75.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Millem wrote: »
    Great thread girls!

A bit sexist isn't it , boys are parents too.

Advertisement