Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Superbowl Parties

• 08-01-2016 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭

Superbowl 50 approaches fast & without getting into who's likely to be in it, just thought it would be an idea to list where parties are on in Dublin (& elsewhere)

Dublin Rebels have announced theirs in Odeon already, personally I didn't think the atmosphere was great there last year, it was much better in Harrys on the green & if there's a better venue, I'd be interested in trying that.

If you know of one please post with the details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ssshhh123

Rody Boland in rathmines had it last year few drink promotions etc. I was google search last night to find a spot and only found the two you mentioned. Odeon is ticket only 10e and admit ion between 8-10 only. What time it due kick off at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Hogs & Heifers in Swords have one also, not sure if there's a team affiliated with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Portobello used to do something but when I went a few years ago it wasn't brilliant or anything. Does the Woolshed do anything special?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Bateman wrote: »
    Portobello used to do something but when I went a few years ago it wasn't brilliant or anything. Does the Woolshed do anything special?

nope just a normal night in there, its packed because everyone who only watches the one game of the season goes there. hard to get a good spot

I find the bars that dont make a big deak of it are the best to watch it in, H&H is handy for me because its local enough, but like anywhere else on the night full of groups on the piss for the sake of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

OU812 wrote: »
    Superbowl 50 approaches fast & without getting into who's likely to be in it, just thought it would be an idea to list where parties are on in Dublin (& elsewhere)

Dublin Rebels have announced theirs in Odeon already, personally I didn't think the atmosphere was great there last year, it was much better in Harrys on the green & if there's a better venue, I'd be interested in trying that.

If you know of one please post with the details.

Any details on Rebels tickets ?

• Advertisement

s8n wrote: »
    Any details on Rebels tickets ?

It's on their Facebook page

Doesn't appear to be a team affiliated with the Hogs & Heifers event.

Is there really only the one thing going on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i think the south kildare soliders had a night in the court in naas last year - dunno what is the story this year yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Mcsorleys in ranelagh used to show it, would probably be a nice spot if they stay open late for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,394 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mcsorleys in ranelagh used to show it, would probably be a nice spot if they stay open late for it.

Showed it last February and it was a great night. Plenty of genuine fans, and then a bunch of people who were obviously out from the Sunday evening and decided to stay on as the bar kept serving. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

OU812 wrote: »
    It's on their Facebook page

That's for last years party!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lothaar v2

Here's the link to the Dublin Rebels Superbowl party event page on Facebook - link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭raheny red

Slight derail, apologies. Anywhere worth heading to for the games this Sunday? I'm swerving the Woolshed because the wrestling is on so it'll be mental there. Anyone hear of anything else? Cheers

People of drinking age gather in the Woolshed to watch wrestling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Odean last year was a disaster. Landed in about 8.30 and all the seats were reserved (for players and friends) so all usregular pundits had to stand. Then when the "players and friends" showed up 10mns before kickoff, they couldn't see the screens with everyone standing around, and everyone got very upset. Lots of people had to stand around the side of the bars and by the doors with awful views, which led to most leaving by the end of the first quarter.

The best spot I've found in Dublin is Peadar Kearneys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Odean last year was a disaster. Landed in about 8.30 and all the seats were reserved (for players and friends) so all usregular pundits had to stand. Then when the "players and friends" showed up 10mns before kickoff, they couldn't see the screens with everyone standing around, and everyone got very upset. Lots of people had to stand around the side of the bars and by the doors with awful views, which led to most leaving by the end of the first quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TheAlbert

DTwo are having a SuperBowl party, 5 euro in with free wings at half time, may have to book though

That could be interesting, free wings always good, any idea if it’s their first year doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭raheny red

That could be interesting, free wings always good, any idea if it’s their first year doing it?

Nope, I went to D2 the year of the power cut and it was grand. Plenty of room and plenty of TVs. I just go to a mates house for it these days but if I was heading to the city centre for it'd be D2 for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Nah they've been doing it at least 3 or 4 years now. I always remember them advertising it around UCD, they do it in conjunction with their IAFL team I think.

• Advertisement

Sounds good, might give it a try, fancy going out this year

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TheAlbert

6 of us have booked a table at Dtwo, paying the 5 euro at the door. We've been told there are plenty of TVs that can be seen from the table.
    Normally we go to the Woolshed, which has been awesome, but they have changed their policy this year and they are not taking bookings. After seeing the queue outside there the last few years, we are not taking the risk of turning up at 9.30 and not being able to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Shedite27 wrote: »

I imagine they were very upset. I think if you're a fan you're better off organising a party at home. These public Superbowl parties are full of drunk clowns who've no interest in watching the game.

Is it on terrestrial tv this year does anyone know? Not relying on web streams of any description for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

TheAlbert wrote: »
    6 of us have booked a table at Dtwo, paying the 5 euro at the door. We've been told there are plenty of TVs that can be seen from the table.
    Normally we go to the Woolshed, which has been awesome, but they have changed their policy this year and they are not taking bookings. After seeing the queue outside there the last few years, we are not taking the risk of turning up at 9.30 and not being able to get in.
    I imagine they were very upset. I think if you're a fan you're better off organising a party at home. These public Superbowl parties are full of drunk clowns who've no interest in watching the game.

Went to the Woolshed when the Pats played the Giants, and we had booked seats in front of the screen. That was great, sorry to see they've gotten rid of it. But even then, the mob at the bar was absolutely horrible, took about 20 minutes to get served. If you didn't have a seat and were stuck standing in the middle of that, I'd rather not see the game at all to be honest.

I wasn't in the Odeon, but I did go to the Rebels one in Harry's on the Green the year of the blackout and it was another big crushed up crowd where it was difficult to see the screen or get to the bar. Went a few times to the Rebels parties in various venues actually, and I would agree that there was a major division drawn between club members and non-members. I could understand having a few seats reserved for a few people, but by setting aside all of the best spots for themselves, and also making it very clear at numerous opportunities that this division was iron-clad, it created the impression that you were a kind of second-class citizen. It was kind of dispiriting to be made feel that way, because it felt like you were being gouged for money, basically, by people who didn't really want you there at all. Certainly nobody from the club, in several years of being there, ever came around, said hello, chatted about what they were doing as a club, or anything like that.

Sorry for the rant, but it is just how I felt attending those SB parties, which I tried several times, so it wasn't a one-off experience.

Anyway, I haven't been to McSorley's but it seems like they do a decent enough effort for it by some accounts. A house is probably the best place to be all in all though. No closing time, no wait at the bar, no bad view of the screen, no yahoos with no interest, no fools complaining about the sport they've never watched before...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is it on terrestrial tv this year does anyone know? Not relying on web streams of any description for this

It's on BBC I think

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Went to the Woolshed when the Pats played the Giants, and we had booked seats in front of the screen. That was great, sorry to see they've gotten rid of it. But even then, the mob at the bar was absolutely horrible, took about 20 minutes to get served. If you didn't have a seat and were stuck standing in the middle of that, I'd rather not see the game at all to be honest.

I wasn't in the Odeon, but I did go to the Rebels one in Harry's on the Green the year of the blackout and it was another big crushed up crowd where it was difficult to see the screen or get to the bar. Went a few times to the Rebels parties in various venues actually, and I would agree that there was a major division drawn between club members and non-members. I could understand having a few seats reserved for a few people, but by setting aside all of the best spots for themselves, and also making it very clear at numerous opportunities that this division was iron-clad, it created the impression that you were a kind of second-class citizen. It was kind of dispiriting to be made feel that way, because it felt like you were being gouged for money, basically, by people who didn't really want you there at all. Certainly nobody from the club, in several years of being there, ever came around, said hello, chatted about what they were doing as a club, or anything like that.

Sorry for the rant, but it is just how I felt attending those SB parties, which I tried several times, so it wasn't a one-off experience.

Anyway, I haven't been to McSorley's but it seems like they do a decent enough effort for it by some accounts. A house is probably the best place to be all in all though. No closing time, no wait at the bar, no bad view of the screen, no yahoos with no interest, no fools complaining about the sport they've never watched before...

Yeah, agree, Stay at home and watch it if at all possible. Some of these parties make you feel like you are gatecrashing someone's private party.

Woolshed gets way too packed, Think I'd give mcSorleys or D Two a go if I was to venture out but I'd need to reserve a table and be able to show up shortly before kickoff. Wouldn't be a fan of having to be in by 8:30, which is part of the problem in certain quarters, meaning I'm half cut before the football even starts.

Yes I'm getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Woolshed for the black-out was an atrocity. Haven't ventured out since and doubt I will anytime soon.

Advertisement