Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming to end of fixed term lease- obligations on tenant

Options
  • 08-01-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Hi, my 1 year lease is finished in just under two months. I would like to stay on in the property, assuming that if there is a rent review it is still affordable. What obligations are on me here? I was going to text the landlord in the next couple of weeks and just let him know I would like to stay on, and see what he says about having me sign a new lease/stay on part 4/rent review. Would that be good enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

If you have not received notice of rent increase already then your landlord can not increase the rent until the second anniversary of your tenancy due to new rules that were introduced back in december.

You should give notice to your landlord of your intentions to stay as a part 4 tenant. You have to do this between 3 and 1 months before the lease ends, so you should do it asap. Here is a sample letter that you can copy: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/howtos/how_to_notice_of_intent_to_remain_in_rented_dwelling.html

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

If you have not received notice of rent increase already then your landlord can not increase the rent until the second anniversary of your tenancy due to new rules that were introduced back in december.
    Nah, that's not true. It would only apply if he had increased the rent last year, which he didn't, it was the first year of the lease.
    You should give notice to your landlord of your intentions to stay as a part 4 tenant. You have to do this between 3 and 1 months before the lease ends, so you should do it asap. Here is a sample letter that you can copy: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/howtos/how_to_notice_of_intent_to_remain_in_rented_dwelling.html

Thanks for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Nah, that's not true. It would only apply if he had increased the rent last year, which he didn't, it was the first year of the lease.

A rent increase can only be enacted once every 2 years now since December 5th 2015. Also, the length of time required for notice of increase increased from 30 days to 90 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

A rent increase can only be enacted once every 2 years now since December 5th 2015. Also, the length of time required for notice of increase increased from 30 days to 90 days.

Ah ok, apologies, I read up a bit, seems you are right, I can't get an increase until Feb 2017. Wow, that is brutally unfair on the LL. Good news though, thanks.

Advertisement