Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ArthriAid - Vet Scam?

• 08-01-2016 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭

I went to my local vet who I've been going to for 9 years to get a bottle of Arthri Aid for our aging collie.

They wouldn't sell me any without a €50 Vet Consultation first!

I subsequently got some over the counter in a Pet Shop.

Is this a scam from the Vet or would they have a stronger version of the product?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

GPs and vets must make half their cash from jobs like this. In and out in 2 minutes - €50 please!

If you know what you need, get it yourself from a shop or someone you trust.

I have reptiles and sometimes need certain things...I just ask someone I know who is big into them and he helps us out when possible. Saves a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I guess they're covering their asses in case there was something seriously wrong BUT if you've been going for years they'd know the dog's history so don't understand why they wouldn't just sell it to you? Unless they're considering it a prescription product now but again you're a longs standing customer so why would you need a consult?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

It's a strange one, they know the dog's entire history & they saw her twice over Nov/Dec last year but when I dropped in this week they were making out that Arthri Aid was prescription only and we'd have to see the Vet again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

revileandy wrote: »
    I went to my local vet who I've been going to for 9 years to get a bottle of Arthri Aid for our aging collie.

They wouldn't sell me any without a €50 Vet Consultation first!

I subsequently got some over the counter in a Pet Shop.

Is this a scam from the Vet or would they have a stronger version of the product?

OP - isnt very effective i tried it on my cocker for 6 months - its overpriced / not much use... vets will always try and sell you just the products they sell good or indifferent _ IMO anyway

you should try salmon oil daily and Luposan Pellets (same price as Arthri Aid but far more effective)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I just got a small bottle of Arthri aid to test the water over the next 2-3 weeks, if there's no improvement I'll move on to the Luposan, I've read good things about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

It may actually be worse than you think, if ArthriAid is the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement I found on googling.

The use of these supplements in dogs was based on human research. On further, better research being conducted it turned out that it doesn't seem to have much of an effect on pain in arthritis or on the joints themselves- it was a placebo effect. There's less research in dogs but again it's contradictory and the best studies show little to no benefit. The trouble with this is that if you know you are giving the dog something to help it, you will tend to see an improvement in the dog. If the human observer knows the dog gets it, they see a benefit.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-top-ten-pet-supplements-do-they-work/
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-glucosamine-really-work/
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2015/02/what-you-know-that-aint-necessarily-so-glucosamine-arthritis-in-dogs/
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2014/03/clever-new-study-illustrates-the-improtance-of-placebo-controls-in-veterinary-clinical-studies/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19912522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

revileandy wrote: »
    I just got a small bottle of Arthri aid to test the water over the next 2-3 weeks, if there's no improvement I'll move on to the Luposan, I've read good things about that.

to be honest OP 2/3 weeks isnt enough you need to try something for at least over a month to see the benefits - same applies to humans :)

100% on the Luposan (pellets) i find them excellent... you should also look at:

http://www.holistichound.ie/#!product/prd1/3892350021/golden-paste

Best of luck :P

Latatian wrote: »
    The trouble with this is that if you know you are giving the dog something to help it, you will tend to see an improvement in the dog. If the human observer knows the dog gets it, they see a benefit.

I disagree. I'm quite observant about my dogs legs/condition because it's something I've been managing for 6 years and it's something that's pretty unique. I've tried different supplements and know what works for him and what doesn't and his joint supplements have definitely improved his condition to the point he doesn't need pain medication. If anything I'm critical of supplements I give him - I don't assume he's improved just because he's getting them.

I don't need studies or web pages to tell me what I can see with my own eyes - when he's sore he's sore and when he's not he's not and the supplements play a big part in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Have a look at the last study linked there. Also this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23113523 Caregiver placebo effects were also observed in vet assessments- who presumably would be trained to be very observant on dog lameness and are trained to interpret gait.

It's not about assuming a dog has improved because they're getting supplements, or being critical or otherwise of what's given. It's just a funny psychological phenomenon that no-one is immune to, and that there seems to be no way of preventing (otherwise studying these things would be a lot easier: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23035739).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

By law, vets can only prescribe drugs for animals under their care. By definition, the animal must have been examined by the vet in the previous six months. If the six months are up, the vet can (and should) decline to hand out further prescription meds if you won't agree to having a consult first. It's important that a dog being treated for a chronic condition is examined and reviewed at least every six months, because many long term conditions require increases or decreases in drug dosages over time, and also because many long-term medications have significant side-effects on the kidneys and the liver. It is not a scam.

Sounds to me that the person on the desk (probably not a vet or vet nurse) thought the Arthri-Aid was a prescription item.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 deisedays

There's no such six month rule. It's at the vet's discretion for dogs and cats.
    Arthi aid is a nutritional supplement so not a medicine and no prescription needed.
    A good businessman would charge €50 for a bottle of arthri aid and then include a "free" consultation with each purchase.
    I suppose these vets go to vet school not business school and that's why their business model is as amateur as you have outlined in your story.

deisedays wrote: »
    There's no such six month rule. It's at the vet's discretion for dogs and cats.
    Arthi aid is a nutritional supplement so not a medicine and no prescription needed.
    A good businessman would charge €50 for a bottle of arthri aid and then include a "free" consultation with each purchase.
    I suppose these vets go to vet school not business school and that's why their business model is as amateur as you have outlined in your story.

I'd say boomerang is spot on with the receptionist thinking it was a prescription med rather than it being some well thought out scam. People do walk in off the street asking for all sorts to be fair! Thinking now I would have complained to the vet if it was a "consumable" rather than prescription medicine because they're turning customers away. The same way I pointed out that I could get clients in the door to them if they started doing titre tests lol! :pac:

I tell you what grinds my gears though - repeat prescription from the vet ready in 24 hours, repeat from the GP takes at least 48....And as far as I can see the vet is much busier than the GP! :pac:

Advertisement